Why we choose CRK

Is this reference to the lock rock 31’s...? Or old services that are now discontinued like refinishing the surface of graphics...?

Anytime a model is discontinued ( one of the latest being the 21 ), services change. Can’t expect them to stock parts forever, but should have enough on hand to cover legitimate warranty work, or like you see in many other avenues replace with current model.

As for CRK warranty, they have always been picky with what is covered and that has never bothered me. I am not a modder or tweaker. Many like to mod knives and they have always been strict with that policy.

Botched sharpening jobs by the owner are not CRK’s fault.

Back when scothcbrite sebenzas was the latest fad, there were many that people thinned the scales down too much and that voided warranty. Can you blame CRK...? Nope.

Also back to another fad with the wrist flicking, it would deform the stop pin and cause lockup issues. Was that CRK’s fault...? Again, Nope.

The couple issues I have had over the years were with stock CRK that failed and they fixed them without issue. I have owned hundreds of CRK and can only think of 5 that I had to send in, and 2 of those were minor.
part of my concern comes from my own experience with my 31. It was gritty feeling out of the box, so I took it apart. There was no lube on the thing, and one of the washers had a bur on it. I own a few dozen CRK folders, and have never had a problem before. Couple my experience with what I have been reading lately, and I have to wonder if things have changed with the new management. I know one example of a knife getting out with problems does not mean the overall quality has gone down, but I do have to wonder.

part of my concern comes from my own experience with my 31. It was gritty feeling out of the box, so I took it apart. There was no lube on the thing, and one of the washers had a bur on it. I own a few dozen CRK folders, and have never had a problem before. Couple my experience with what I have been reading lately, and I have to wonder if things have changed with the new management. I know one example of a knife getting out with problems does not mean the overall quality has gone down, but I do have to wonder.

I don't have a 31 but I suspect any possible drop in F&F and other issues could be the result of being so far behind right now with the demand for the 31 and well, 2020. Direct orders from CRK are like a year out right now? I just think the popularity of the 31 and the crap show 2020 has them scrambling to keep up with demand. Launching a new model is daunting enough but then throw in Covid/2020? I'm a huge fan of CRK and love their knives but I'm going to likely hold off on a 31 for now. Not because I would be worried about any issues but mainly that they just don't offer what I would want in a 31 right now. And, I suspect it's going to be a good year or two before they start offering other options.

In the meantime, if anyone has any Regulars, hard to find CGG models, let me know! :D

Well, I hope it is just growing pains with the new model, and not a new philosophy for the company. Just the same, my future purchases are on hold until I am convinced that they are taking care of those with out of the box problem knives.

This ^^ I also agree that the reason of why I still own six CRKs is that they are based on simple construction done with precision. I do own two "modern" Inkosis' with the rest being two 21s, an older Mnandi, and a fixed blade. They are all flawless in quality functionality. The ability to take them apart and maintain is the core of CRK.

Do I always carry one of my CRKs? No. I also beat on a range of M390 latest gen Hinderers as well as a couple Spyderco's in the latest steels as well as an old favorite being a Benchmade Anthem. They all have a place in my rotation but from my first very early Sebenza Regular (which I sold years ago) to my current collection they remain a benchmark.

I bought an Umnumzaan in 2011 before the pivot change and LBS was standard. It was in S30V, and frankly I thought the steel was too soft. It was a bear breaking that one in, and I just couldn't love the' Zaan, so I moved it on.

I've continued to look in every now and then, but I'd really gotten into flippers and spent most of my knife dollars there and mostly ignored thumb stud opening blades. I've got most of the high end flippers I want now, so early this year I came back around looking at the Sebenza again. I've always liked the design, and when I saw the L31 Lunar Landing model, I was in love! I like S35VN, for me it's a great all around steel. Holds an edge for quite a while, is easy to sharpen (I have all ceramic and diamond sharpening tools) and I was happy to see the bump in hardness. Hell, next to the Shirogorov's I was buying a L31 was a bargain! ;)

I dove in, freaked a little about the lockup issue when I came back until I got her in hand and checked for myself. Zero problems with my L31 and shortly there after I asked for help deciding between a L19 and an L25 and ended up with a Tanto L 19. I freakin' LOVE the CRK tanto, and I usually don't like the "American style" tanto, being much more of a Japanese tanto fan (think Williams Blade Design, BRT Bladeworks).

I like the quality, materials and available options. CRK meets my value proposition for this kind of high-end production knife. I would like to see a few more wood inlay options, and I have a feeling if CRK makes more CF L19 or L31's, there will be on in my pocket. I'm going to try a L Inkosi with the Insigno blade next I think, then I see a few more L19's with different blade shapes in my future, and maybe a Damascus blade...

Or Two...

Maybe three... :eek::p

CRK for me is simplicity in design,ease of maintenance,less parts,tolerances,great action,fit and finish,user friendly no nonsense everyday carry knife with excellent customer service.Compared to other knives I had and have,CRK is always the one I choose as my favourite to carry and enjoy using.Never had any issues with centering,blade play,screws falling off,rattle etc...
Pure perfection in my world.
Simplicity is the key to the brilliance.
Cheers!
1436F7B5-C673-4752-9FB4-5F38B4EEAE30.jpeg

I like CRK because they make the best damn knife I’ve ever owned. Have a Large 21 Drop Point and Insingo. Best damn work knife, everyday knife, whatever knife, for me. I would trust it in any circumstance I may get into. Hard to beat perfection(in my eyes). The 21s are the only locking folder I carry. Always paired with a traditional though. I would never sale them, I just hope my son cherishes them someday and understands what a marvelous knife they are.

I will say this and it's not a knock on CRK at all but I have never understood people saying CRKs are one of the easiest knives to take down and reassemble. For me, reassembly can be super finicky and trust me, I've been doing it a long time. Pinched washers are a common issue with reassembly so you always have to be aware. I see tons of question on various sights about issues on reassembly and 90% of the time, a pinched washer or washer seating is the culprit. I get that tolerances are so tight that everything has to be exact on reassembly so I'm not criticizing CRK for this. When done right, CRKs go back together with little or no adjustment needed. I get it. I'm just saying when it comes to knives that are really easy to break down and reassemble, CRK does not pop into my mind. Again not a bad thing, I just don't get the praise for them being on of the easiest.

One thing that keeps me coming back to CRK (specifically the Sebenza and Mnandi) is a feature that is pretty uncommon in the production knife world and seldom mentioned (maybe it's implied?) is the pivot bushing. A properly executed bushing is just hard to beat imho.

One thing that keeps me coming back to CRK (specifically the Sebenza and Mnandi) is a feature that is pretty uncommon in the production knife world and seldom mentioned (maybe it's implied?) is the pivot bushing. A properly executed bushing is just hard to beat imho.
Agreed.

And this is why including loctite with the 31's is such a travesty...not sure why the apologists don't get that. If I can't reassemble and tighten ALL the screws while having the exact same action every time...it's NOT a Sebenza.

And this is why including loctite with the 31's is such a travesty...not sure why the apologists don't get that. If I can't reassemble and tighten ALL the screws while having the exact same action every time...it's NOT a Sebenza.
Agreed, Loctite and Sebenza shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Never needed Loctite on any of my sebenzas and mnandi. That's why I'm waiting for the 31 to get dialed in and s45vn.

I'm aware of the s45vn steel upgrade in the latest production, but not sure what you're referring to by waiting on the 31's to get dialed in-- are they not already?

I'm aware of the s45vn steel upgrade in the latest production, but not sure what you're referring to by waiting on the 31's to get dialed in-- are they not already?
Not if you can't tighten all the screws without it seizing up and the suggested fix is the loctite included in the box. This should be a go/no-go issue when they leave the factory, like they used to build 'em.

Why?

To me it was really simple.

The looks/design of a 21/classic plane jane with the drop point blade. The first time I ever saw a picture it was just instant love and no other knife, at least not any folder, has ever done the same for me.

All the other good stuff is just a bonus.

71G5oBCl.jpg

Back