Winner...And Still Heavyweight Champion...The Venerable Buck 110

Lots of love here for the Buck 110. I noticed they are popular as company gifts and rewards. My father gave me one with his company's logo on it (He gave away several to his employees and had an extra). Also the trucking company I got started with gave you a Buck 110 with company logo if you lasted six months with them.
I have a cool 110 story. I just got a free one last week. I was playing guitar/singing at my company terminal waiting for my next load when another driver was leaving to home on a flight. He pulled of his Buck 110 and offered it to me saying he couldn't fly with it. I said he could mail it but he said he would just buy another one anyway. So I scored a free trucker used (but not at all abused) buck 110!:D Even better, the other guy in the room suggested I take it as he was already wearing a Buck 110 on him and vouched for it's quality. Two days later I noticed one of my mudflaps missing. I purchased a new one and during installation noticed it was to long and needed to be trimmed. It was dark, cold, and my work area was illuminated by a flashlight. But out came the 110 and handled the job like a pro:thumbup:

I do love the 110. It feels good in hand, was extremely sharp out of the box, and even the Wal-Mart standard was completely awesome. The only downside, in my eyes, is that it's too heavy for pocket carry.

I do love the 110. It feels good in hand, was extremely sharp out of the box, and even the Wal-Mart standard was completely awesome. The only downside, in my eyes, is that it's too heavy for pocket carry.

I can't really agree with this. Of course, weight is probably relative, but I never notice the weight of a knife in my pocket. I do notice the bulk, though, when the lump in my pocket impacts the wall, and almost knocks me down.

I don't believe that the 110 was ever intended to be a "pocket" knife. That's why they come with belt sheaths. If I had to carry it in my pocket,I wouldn't carry one of them or even a 112.

I don't believe that the 110 was ever intended to be a "pocket" knife. That's why they come with belt sheaths. If I had to carry it in my pocket,I wouldn't carry one of them or even a 112.

Just remember to compensate for the weight on your belt when you lean your bike into a curve. ;)

4050235987_47ceb64680_b.jpg

Hi,

Nice photos so far! And I'm looking forward to seeing more. I really like the used ones. There are some stories in those dings and dents.

As popular as the 110 is I've never had the desire to own one. I remember back in the '80's everyone I knew had one. I saw them used and abused daily. But I don't ever remember one failing.

I hoist my soda pop to the Buck 110. It is perhaps THE American folder.

dalee

Something that sort of amazes me is that Buck has kept the price on them down. I was just looking at a 20 year old catalog and dealer price list and according to it, the dealer price for the 110 in 1989 was $24.95. Compare that to the price that you can get them for at Walmart today, about $30.:thumbup:

Great, another knife I need to get. Too bad they don't offer the BG-42 in the custom shop anymore. I looked it up & they only offer 420HC & S30V, IIRC.

Very nice pics.

Great, another knife I need to get. Too bad they don't offer the BG-42 in the custom shop anymore. I looked it up & they only offer 420HC & S30V, IIRC.

Very nice pics.

I think you will be very happy with the S30V. Check out the Cabelas Alakan Guide, S30V blade and less than a custom shop model. Scary sharp :eek: when you get it.

Custom Shoppe ATS-34 with nickel silver bolsters and buffalo horn scales:

2123492424_3c0909f96c_b.jpg

Custom Shoppe BG-42 with nickel silver bolsters and koa wood scales:

2153435777_e94775f502_b.jpg

For me it's a 110 on the belt, or a 301 in the pocket. These days I carry a 110 in a belt sheath. I'm not a "collector", though I'm considering taking up the hobby. It would be 110's if I do (with perhaps variants like the 112, etc). They ARE American classics. I like their traditional look, good for an outdoors enthusiast like me. I have a few in 420HC and in S30V, all are users. I like the weight of the thicker stag handled ones especially!

I'll be ordering another custom shop 110 soon, and when I get that back I guess I'll post a photo of all of 'em (not until then) :)

And yes, I'm wondering where to start hobby collecting. Getting historic ones, factory ones, limited editions, customized ones (like that jade one Vege-Taco posted, it's beautiful!) ? Should I see first if someone wants to sell a collection, or part of one? Fun things to think about.

Is there a book that lists all the developments of the 110? The limited editions, etc?

Some good stuff, fellas! :cool::thumbup:

I think they also offer 154CM, though I'd probably still get the S30V.

Back