Winner...And Still Heavyweight Champion...The Venerable Buck 110

How about a little Elk, these are two of my favs:
elk110.jpg

DSC_1159.jpg

Talk about your variations on a theme! :cool:

I had one before.I remember the literature that came with it mentioned the convex ridge along the edge. Made it even stronger or a different cut or something.

When Buck first made the 110 in the early 60's, 440C was considered brittle. The ridge just behind the cutting edge was there to strengthen the edge to prevent chipping.

(Likely folks were running it too hard at over 60. I think Buck ran theirs around 58, so they did not have that problem, but that strengthening bulge was still a feature on all of their early 440C blades. I have a Pathfinder and a Special, [105 and 119 in today's parlance] as well as a 110. I got them all in the late 60's and they all have that bulge.)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, The Lone Ranger shows his grungy old 110 that he used to EDC in his front pocket when he was in college back in the day when no one cared what was in your pocket.

100_3057.jpg

Great thread!:thumbup: So many sweet examples of a classic. Alas I am embarrassed to say that I have never owned a Buck 110:eek: In the early 70s when I finally got enough coins saved to buy one; I was at the last minute swayed by a friend to opt for the Gerber, IIRC Sportsman (lol another heavy weight contender). She served me well and long enough till eventually knives evolved to where my interests were far from brass lockbacks. After seeing this thread it occurred to me that any person who fancies himself a knifenut should in his lifetime own at least 1 Buck 110! Thanks guys for the reality check lol:D Did I say that this was a great thread?

Here is the Buck 110 that my brother got for me. I did have one that I carried in the late 60's and early 70's but someone stole it out of my locker. This one is from the custom shop and is an anniversary edition if I remember right.

buck110.jpg

Great thread! I carried a 110 longer than any other knife and it took all the abuse that a teenage boy could throw at it. I don't edc one anymore but I do bring it along for woods walks some times.
Jim

"From a member of British Blades called Longstrider, Buck 110 in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOTXr2U0cU"

Great video, TAKE THAT COLD STEEL!!!

Vinny

this looks kinda like the one i bought in 1967
and i have had on one the belt ever after..

traditional 110 ??? all i can say is NOT!!!
well after 50 years may be many...
the 110 was radical for its day!
it incorporated many new features that never had been brought together before!
that is why it become Americas knife..
hunters and workmen both loved the features!
military and EMT/LEO's also embraced this NEW knife..

so i still see the 110 as i did with my first one
wow this does what i need..
not a big fixed blade
not a wimpy small folder
but jest right for all purpose use and needs
will have one put in the box with me ..
....u know... jest in case the boss needs one;)

Here are some of my favorites. ;)
This one was issued with the closing of the El Cajon plant. I think they were given out to emplyees.
Buck1102004signedElCajonCommemorati.jpg

This one is a first version, first variation.
Buck11019641stVersion1stVariation.jpg

I love this jigged buffalo with BG-42 steel. :thumbup:
BuckCustomShop110BuffaloscalesBG-42.jpg

Since I spent eight years with SDPD and resigned in 1981, this one is special for me.
BuckSeventhVersionThreeDot1981SDPDE.jpg

This is my first damascus steel and I really like the ram horn scales.
DamascusRamHorn110.jpg

Back