• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Yet one more "Andre De Villiers doesn't know how to conduct himself" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not aware of this thread I bought a AvD knife through KC. The workmanship is awesome! Still on the fence about buying another one but if I did it would be from one of the big knife houses.

Know what that knife needs? More screws on the lockbar side and prints in uncomplementary patterns. I can't believe that you actually spent money on this.

Sorry, wasn't aware that only one point of view was aloud.

That is not the case here and leads me to think you do not understand the point of this thread.

This thread is not about the knives but about dealing with the maker and how he conducts himself.

You buying a nice knife from KnifeCenter that this dude happened to make has no bearing on this thread. That is why people are saying to post it in one of a myriad of other places on the forum.

^^^^^ Point taken. I now see that only AvD haters are aloud here, goodby.

If you were contributing an actual interaction with ADV (good or bad) that would be something to contribute here and I'm sure you would get a different response.

Pretty pictures do not have anything to do with how he treats people. No one is disputing that he makes a unique or quality blade. There are a ton of places in GKD to post and discuss your actual knife.

Does that make more sense?

*allowed

If you've personally dealt with him and found him to be a compassionate and fair person, that would be another, relevant point of view, though it still wouldn't do anything to address or make right the way he has repeatedly treated customers in the past

But you can't even make that point, you seem think that showing off his craftsmanship in a thread explicitly about his failures as a businessman and person is somehow relevant to the conversation or excuses him being a crap human being. As I've repeatedly stated, his craftsmanship has no bearing on his behavior and by attempting to derail the thread because you like his shiny knives you're only betraying the fact that you're willing to throw all his other customers and knife enthusiasts under the bus as long as you get your pretty shinies.

You failed to get my point if you think this is only for haters. It is not about the knives but about the conduct of the maker.

Your post was about the knife THAT YOU BOUGHT FROM KNIFECENTER!

Nothing in your post was about dealings with the maker. Which is the topic of this thread.

Why don't you contact ADV about buying a knife or a warranty issue or whatever and let us know how that goes for you?

Maybe wait a few weeks and see if he does some of his typical insane nonsense. Like say, oh I don't know, post your contact details on his Facebook page. Or insist you're somehow selling counterfeit knives on eBay with no evidence whatsoever. Or send back the same broken knife with the same defect over and over.

Want me to keep going? I can do this all day.

You got a nice knife. Cool bro. There's literally an infinite number of places to post about. GBU is for commercial experiences with a particular person or store.

ADDENDUM: we tried to explain this politely but you persisted with posting random pretty pictures.

Last edited:
Why don't you contact ADV about buying a knife or a warranty issue or whatever and let us know how that goes for you?

Maybe wait a few weeks and see if he does some of his typical insane nonsense. Like say, oh I don't know, post your contact details on his Facebook page. Or insist you're somehow selling counterfeit knives on eBay with no evidence whatsoever. Or send back the same broken knife with the same defect over and over.

Want me to keep going? I can do this all day.

You got a nice knife. Cool bro. There's literally an infinite number of places to post about. GBU is for commercial experiences with a particular person or store.

ADDENDUM: we tried to explain this politely but you persisted with posting random pretty pictures.
I almost bought one of his mini slipjoints. After reading this, I did not follow through. Thanks for saving me some money and big hassles. Would be nice if this knifemaker came on here and said something.

The ADV slipjoints do come in a super cool little pirate themed wooden box. Man, I miss that sweet-ass box. Anyway, I stopped by the ADV booth at Blade last year and stood there with a nice chance-giving expression on my face, waiting for him to say something like “hi,” he turned around and played on his phone til I walked away. The strippers whom he places his knives on for display on his Facebook page were nowhere to be seen, either. :(

The ADV slipjoints do come in a super cool little pirate themed wooden box. Man, I miss that sweet-ass box. Anyway, I stopped by the ADV booth at Blade last year and stood there with a nice chance-giving expression on my face, waiting for him to say something like “hi,” he turned around and played on his phone til I walked away. The strippers whom he places his knives on for display on his Facebook page were nowhere to be seen, either. :(

You're supposed to stop ten feet before His Excellency, kneel, bow your head and await his summons. Entirely your fault for not knowing the protocol. ;)

I've fallen short in my duties largely due to COVID and other life events but..........

BUMP DE BUMP

In case anyone's considering dealing with ADV's shady ass

I bought one of them little slip joints and the LSCF scales were garbage. They’d catch on the material in my pocket and pull the wire (I’m not sure what else to call it) out of the scales.
I was already friends with him on bookface, so I messaged him asking what I should do about it and if it was common. He verbally mauled me thru messenger lol and accused me of spreading lies about his knives. I told him that he was the only person I’d mentioned this to and to chill, but evidently I’d lit the fuse. He continued to threaten me for two days with someone “who was gonna knock my teeth out”. My name was smeared, but aside from his rabid fanboys jumping on board, nothing he said caused me any grief. I blocked a few people, unfriended him, and moved on. I sold the knife (the first and last I owned) to someone in a group at a huge discount and washed my hands of the entire mess.

Last edited:
You do understand that this idiot thinks he's being sly when he does the messenger / post on his page combo. He literally doesn't understand that the second half is public. Like anyone (including you) can, and does, see it.

What an absolute disgrace to the community and the human race.

I often see threads where people say that they don't care what the maker/factory/service provider has done in the past. That they are only concerned with the fact that they like the knives and don't care about past history. We have all seen these posts and their apologists.

Threads like this prove that it's only a matter of time, when dealing with makers/factories with bad business practice, that you will become a victim.

I often see threads where people say that they don't care what the maker/factory/service provider has done in the past. That they are only concerned with the fact that they like the knives and don't care about past history. We have all seen these posts and their apologists.

Threads like this prove that it's only a matter of time, when dealing with makers/factories with bad business practice, that you will become a victim.

It is a mistake I try to avoid.

Many great knifemakers who are nor total D-bags, just can't/won't risk dealing with bad ones.

I had a particular maker. I really enjoy his knife designs. Seemed like a great, stand-up maker. But over the years his poor business practices just snowballed and got out of hand...

Every time he "fixed" his issues (computer crashes, delivery deadlines missed by years...warranty work never completed....kick starter products going bust, etc) I just can't buy one of his pieces. Even on the secondary market.

You are buying the maker, every bit as much as you are buying the knife.

Many people that defend guys like this dirtbag do it in the hopes that senpai will notice them and give them a space on his "books", and that they'll finally get their hands on that knife they've lusted after for so long. You see this a lot on the Instagram knife makers' pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back