Yojumbo

Interesting insights, but my understanding is that slicing and cutting are not the most effective way to use a blade for defense. My limited understanding is that piercing/stabbing is what quickly ends the threat.

Interesting insights, but my understanding is that slicing and cutting are not the most effective way to use a blade for defense. My limited understanding is that piercing/stabbing is what quickly ends the threat.

This is a topic often debated. The fact of the matter is that police records disclose that many people continue the fight after being slashed, stabbed and punctured unless it hits a vital blood vessel or stops the pump. Same with bullets. There is no sure thing...even if the incapacitation occurs relatively shortly afterward. (I am not a knife fighter nor do I train as one.)

Frankly, having been slashed once was enough for me. (But I wasn't a law enforcement officer at the time.)

This is a topic often debated. The fact of the matter is that police records disclose that many people continue the fight after being slashed, stabbed and punctured unless it hits a vital blood vessel or stops the pump. Same with bullets. There is no sure thing...even if the incapacitation occurs relatively shortly afterward. (I am not a knife fighter nor do I train as one.)

Frankly, having been slashed once was enough for me. (But I wasn't a law enforcement officer at the time.)
I’ve heard it said that there is no such thing as a knife fighter.. because if you don’t end up in the grave, you’ll have a jail cell waiting.

That was my understanding too, and it becomes evident when you look at designs like the SOCP dagger.
I’m no expert... but massive internal bleeding seems to be more deadly than some slashes to the skin on hands and arms... but if any knife is going to be brutal in that field it would be the yojimbo with its hollow grind wharncliffe. That’s some serious cutting power.

Would like to see some real world empirical evidence, with many well qualified examples. I think the person(capability) is more important than the type of knife.

Maybe I will buy some big pumpkins this fall and fight them to the death.

how-to-carve-a-pumpkin-step-5.jpg

I’ve heard it said that there is no such thing as a knife fighter.. because if you don’t end up in the grave, you’ll have a jail cell waiting.

There certainly was such a thing as a knife fighter in the past but in modern times, yeah, it seems outdated and impractical. When I see some of the "experts" trained or training people in edge weapon combat, I wonder how many of them have actual experience doing it during real combat.

Still, if I were a solider going into a conflict zone, I'd probably carry some sort of fighting knife as long as it fit in my overall carry weight. But, I'm just a civilian in a mostly peaceful society so... these types of knives are just for fun.

At < $200 I’m in !

I hope they apply the jumbo theory to the Ronin as well.

It's all about targeting. Mike Janich designed this knife based on his method of targeting certain points of human anatomy. Not slashing wildly at anything that moves. Just like the great caliber debate. The most important part would be shot placement. Here it's "slice placement".
Attacking tendons and muscle groups to disable an opponent without waiting for them to succumb to blood loss.

Last edited:

Then you really don't understand how to use a knife specifically designed for SD in SD because it is all about targeting vulnerable body parts and using the knife to slice/cut those body parts: think . . . carotid, brachial and femoral arteries, eyes, face, throat, lower abdomen, stomach and/or any limbs generally.

You can use a Yojimbo (or any other SD knife) to stab/pierce the body too but generally the blades used in SD knives are too short (usually only 1-3" long) to be effective in penetrating any vital organs to be effective when doing that and it's really hard (even w/a very big, long knife) to stab somebody in the heart which is protected by the ribs and sternum.

It's really messy and few people have the stomach for it BUT it's much more effective to cut a critical artery in order to win a knife fight.

Just saying . . . LOL!!! ;)

Last edited:
Spyderco is making it hard to decide what knife I want next; the Yojumbo or the Manix XL.
The Yojumbo is only 22mm longer than the Yojimbo but the blade is 23mm longer. Spyderco magic! I do like the 4 inch blade on the Yojumbo but I also like the CPM-M4 of the Manix XL. :)

It looks like the Yojumbo is starting to ship to dealers now. I've already got it on preorder. Cannot wait to run it though it's paces in comparison to the original Yojimbo and Yojimbo 2.

My two cents after studying knives and knife fighting for 65 years is that I don't wan to get in a knife fight. Michael Janich and Bram Frank know their stuff and should be respected for their training and knives. However, their goal is to incapcitate their opponent to acheive an opening for escape. The big Bowie knives and long daggers were designed and used to kill in a much different time than ours.

Back