Yojumbo

I got my YoJumbo in a couple of days ago and LOVE it. Sure, it's big, but the jumbo in the name was pretty hard to misinterpret. The G10 is a very nice texture. A little more grip that standard Spyderco G10, but nothing I'd consider overly abrasive. It's very suited to the knife. It feels lighter than you think when you pick it up. I bought it off the exchange here from someone who said it didn't fit his hand well. I'm lucky and don't have that problem at all. It's definitely a great knife and it's making me get more and more into Wharncliffes.

There was just a hint of blade when I got mine, but I was able to adjust that out. It took a little bit of fiddling, but I got it to where there is no blade play and the action is still very smooth. I expect this is going to be really popular with the people who like the Manix XL and Military.

Here it's next to an Endura. That'll give an idea of the size. It's a "biggun" for sure.

N5rWcg4.jpg

I just got mine in today, but I’m digging it so far. It definitely addresses the narrow butt ergos that made me sell my Yo2. The narrow butt on this one could serve as a kubotan, but it’s not needed for grip unless maybe you have extra large sausages. ;)

Usually on a Spyderco, the stock clip has the best ergos. The edge of your hand aligns with the flat butt end of the clip. But the Jumbo is so long, your hand ends up resting on the high part of the stock clip.

So I swapped in a Lynch clip on this one and found the ramp coincides nicely with the edge of my hand. Works great! Usually a deep carry clip places the high point of the clip on the edge of your hand, but not here.

hLWwthw.jpg

NUumqp4.jpg

TXh1FHj.jpg

Interesting. I like how the YoJumbo sits in my jeans pocket with the stock clip, but may have to give a deep carry clip a try.

There's been a few side-by-sides of this already, but could someone post it next to a PM2/PM3?

So slightly bigger in the handle, but not really bigger in the "grip area" than the PM2?

That's what it seems like. I'd say my hands were medium sized. Pretty normal fingers. I think the YoJumbo would fit well if you had really big hands.

The YoJumbo is noticeably taller in your hand. The G10 is a nice texture, too.

That's what it seems like. I'd say my hands were medium sized. Pretty normal fingers. I think the YoJumbo would fit well if you had really big hands.
yeah that's what it seems like. How is it in hand compared to the PM2?
I love big blades, but the handle has to "fit" me.

yeah that's what it seems like. How is it in hand compared to the PM2?
I love big blades, but the handle has to "fit" me.

I'd say the YoJumbo locks into my hand a little more with the G10, but my thumb is sort of left wondering what to do or where to go. I think the knife is designed to put your thumb further forward on the spine of the blade.

The PM2 more "melts" into my hand. I don't know if that's the best way to describe it, but it fits in my palm perfectly and then my thumb naturally goes onto the jimping on the thumb ramp.

Here are some pictures that might give you an idea.
lFQCqqz.jpg

S2yf5Ob.jpg

sGKtgpI.jpg

I'd say the YoJumbo locks into my hand a little more with the G10, but my thumb is sort of left wondering what to do or where to go. I think the knife is designed to put your thumb further forward on the spine of the blade.

The PM2 more "melts" into my hand. I don't know if that's the best way to describe it, but it fits in my palm perfectly and then my thumb naturally goes onto the jimping on the thumb ramp.

lFQCqqz.jpg

S2yf5Ob.jpg

sGKtgpI.jpg
awesome dude, thanks so much:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The way MB> is holding in his picture up above is I think the way the knife was designed to be held.

Of your thumb is

lFQCqqz.jpg

S2yf5Ob.jpg

sGKtgpI.jpg
If your wondering what to do with your thumb just push down with your thumb and it will be planted compliments of the finger choil ;) at least that’s what I’ve found in my hand. Glad your enjoying yours as much as I am mine it’s a outstanding knife in all areas imo :thumbsup:
I didn’t have any blade play with mine but it was a tad off center but doing the old loosening the scale screws and adjusting the Pivot got it centered nicely. I was surprised how much adjustment I had before any blade play was felt. It’s a free falling guillotine now with no play what so ever.

Last edited:
Of your thumb is

If your wondering what to do with your thumb just push down with your thumb and it will be planted compliments of the finger choil ;) at least that’s what I’ve found in my hand. Glad your enjoying yours as much as I am mine it’s a outstanding knife in all areas imo :thumbsup:
I didn’t have any blade play with mine but it was a tad off center but doing the old loosening the scale screws and adjusting the Pivot got it centered nicely. I was surprised how much adjustment I had before any blade play was felt. It’s a free falling guillotine now with no play what so ever.

Good advice!

Mine came perfectly centered, but got thrown off a little when I tightened the pivot. I did the same trick as you, but it didn't fix it. I ended up flexing the handle a bit and loosening and then tightening the body screws on one side while keeping a little pressure on the handle. That fixed it. Strangely, I have about a 1/16 of a turn between "watch out below, free falling blade!" and "this is a fixed blade." There was a lot of adjustment before I got any blade play, though. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong, though, because it showed up with perfect centering and a good action.

It's perfect now so I'm not going to mess with it anymore.

Very cool knife.

I wish the plunge line was a little further out from the scales, and also curved to follow the top curve of the scales, and then there would be room for a choil like on the Para3. It would be a visual and functional upgrade.

Very cool knife.

I wish the plunge line was a little further out from the scales, and also curved to follow the top curve of the scales, and then there would be room for a choil like on the Para3. It would be a visual and functional upgrade.

Michael Janich stated that the design was intentional to reduce the risk of snagging while trying to engage the full edge, and to facilitate the transition from the front of the handle to the edge of the blade. That’s from a defensive use perspective.

I still see a potential “snag” area between the front of the scale and the heel/ricasso that makes a little notch. That seems a little bit in conflict with the above statement.

But I agree with you. As an EDC, on a knife this large a choil would work.

Back