Yojumbo

Just received my YoJumbo (with a Watu) direct from Spyderco.

yojumbo-watu-jpg.1375518

My initial reaction was that it is TOO big and the Yojimbo is the perfect size. There's way more handle than I need and the larger size and tight clip (which can be relieved) makes it difficult to carry/remove from my front pocket.

I'll keep it for my collection, if for no other reason than as a conversation piece, but I don't think I'll ever carry it.

Last edited:
Just received my YoJumbo (with a Watu) direct from Spyderco.

yojumbo-watu-jpg.1375518

My initial reaction was that it is TOO big and the Yojimbo is the perfect size. There's way more handle than I need and the larger size and tight clip (which can be relieved) makes it difficult to carry/remove from my front pocket.

I'll keep it for my collection, if for no other reason than as a conversation piece, but I don't think I'll ever carry it.
That’s great to hear for me anyway lol.
I love big knives and there will always be a place in my collection for them .
This one will get carried though :thumbsup:
Can’t wait for mine to arrive !!!

After my mods, I have been carrying mine every day. Although I do have to say that the clip issue is real. I installed a deep carry clip for tip down carry in the back pocket, and even after I hit the G10 with 400 grit sandpaper in the spot where the clip contacts it, I still had an issue where the wide squarish scales tended to get hung up under the lip of my pocket. So I rounded that part of the scale and it seems to deploy a good deal better with less need to concentrate on it. It seems less prone to catching, as there is no real corner to catch on the pocket any more.

IMG_7329.JPG

I was just about the start trying to find a Yojumbo in stock when I saw one come up on the exchange. I tend to favor larger knives and am really eager to check this one out!

Mine arrived and absolutely loved it right out of the box! For such a big knife it doesn’t feel heavy in hand which really surprised me. I like the aggressive texturing on the scales to makes it feel locked in even more. I have medium size hands and the knife feels excellent in my hand.
Couldn’t be happier and personally recommend this one if you like big knives which I do obviously.
0wQ43qH.jpg

That thing just looks flat out awesome. I had a Yo 2 and really liked it, but found I didn't really reach for it over a PM2 or Manix XL. I REALLY like big knives, Wharncliffes, and Spydercos - especially the Golden, CO ones. I pretty sure that I'm going to think the YoJumbo is YoAwesome. ;)

I'm 99% sure I'll love the size of the thing. I'm real curious to see how I like the new texture on the G10, too. It looks like the perfect texture for that knife.:thumbsup:

I did notice one interesting difference. On the Yo 2, there was some jimping on the liners in front of the compression lock. It was sort of subtle and I think the jimping was a hair below the G10 so it would give you a little extra grip when you were pressing your thumb into the blade. I used to like that. I notice there's no jimping like that on the YoJumbo.

Does that make any kind of difference to anyone? I'm thinking it's probably not that noticeable.

That thing just looks flat out awesome. I had a Yo 2 and really liked it, but found I didn't really reach for it over a PM2 or Manix XL. I REALLY like big knives, Wharncliffes, and Spydercos - especially the Golden, CO ones. I pretty sure that I'm going to think the YoJumbo is YoAwesome. ;)

I'm 99% sure I'll love the size of the thing. I'm real curious to see how I like the new texture on the G10, too. It looks like the perfect texture for that knife.:thumbsup:
I think you’ll like it and the texture also. It’s aggressive but doesn’t feel like it’ll chew up your hands but it might be hard on your jean pockets. But if that’s the case a little sanding under the clip and that general area it should eliminate and jean eating :)
It really is a great knife right out of the box imo :thumbsup:

I did notice one interesting difference. On the Yo 2, there was some jimping on the liners in front of the compression lock. It was sort of subtle and I think the jimping was a hair below the G10 so it would give you a little extra grip when you were pressing your thumb into the blade. I used to like that. I notice there's no jimping like that on the YoJumbo.

Does that make any kind of difference to anyone? I'm thinking it's probably not that noticeable.
I don’t notice any issue without the jimping.
The way the handle fits your hand it’s locked in and I can’t feel my thumb wanting to slide and seems to be pushing down not forward.

I don’t notice any issue without the jimping.
The way the handle fits your hand it’s locked in and I can’t feel my thumb wanting to slide and seems to be pushing down not forward.

Ok, it's like Christmas Eve over here. The suspense is real! :cool: I don't mind a little extra wear on jeans.

I didn't think the jimping was that big a deal. I thought it was a nice touch, but it was pretty subtle on the Yo 2.

(I'm sufficiently distracted from the Canis now, Factor! :D)

Ok, it's like Christmas Eve over here. The suspense is real! :cool: I don't mind a little extra wear on jeans.

I didn't think the jimping was that big a deal. I thought it was a nice touch, but it was pretty subtle on the Yo 2.

(I'm sufficiently distracted from the Canis now, Factor! :D)
Do not underestimate the power of The Canis! Or The YoJumbo :p:D
For sure like you said the jimping on the Yo2 was so subtle I don’t think it did much anyway. The texture and feel on the scales reminds me of a Emerson and would be the best comparison I can think of .

You're about to go on the ignore list! :p My wallet can only take so much of this abuse!:D

I'm sure something newer and shinier will get my attention, but this YoJumbo may be one of my top favorites. I find myself carrying a Manix XL a lot just because I like the size and heft of it. This YoJumbo might take its place on the favorite list.

I'll definitely post up my impressions tomorrow. The weather forecast says there's a 90% chance it'll be favorable.

Jimping or no, I feel it makes little difference on a knife like this with such a pronounced finger guard. Also jimping seems to me to be more of a saber grip feature, and this knife is really geared towards Filipino grip.

The texture and feel on the scales reminds me of a Emerson

Recon 1, for me, as I have never owned an Emerson. And the YoJumbo shredded the back pocket of my LAPG field shorts. This was before I modded the carrying features of the knife (clip, scale texture underneath it and scale corner that was catching on my pocket).

Jimping or no, I feel it makes little difference on a knife like this with such a pronounced finger guard. Also jimping seems to me to be more of a saber grip feature, and this knife is really geared towards Filipino grip.

Recon 1, for me, as I have never owned an Emerson. And the YoJumbo shredded the back pocket of my LAPG field shorts. This was before I modded the carrying features of the knife (clip, scale texture underneath it and scale corner that was catching on my pocket).

That's a very good point about the finger guard and the Filipino grip.

I haven't had an Emerson either, but I do know the Recon 1 texture. I don't think I'll mind that texture at all.

Back