Your 1st Randall?

Sufler

Gold Member
Sad to see so little traffic on this forum. So, let's start her up again with the ol' stand-by question - what was your first Randall?

Back in the good ol' days of KF... I got myself a #1-8" w/sawteeth and standard leather handle. Well... of course I tried to saw through a 2x4 with it! :D

What was yours?

:thumbup:

Model #1-7, 'basic catalog model' Since then, I've owned a few other Model #1's...

GTR and I were shooting the bull a while ago, and I asked him what knife he thought most people bought as their first Randall. He said "oh, the #1, by far." You two fit that mold.

I told him mine was a 12-9-14-25, and he laughed and said "wow, that may be a first."

Model 25-5 with maroon micarta insert. Ordered a 14 with sawteeth a week later. So technically my first 2, they arrived together

1985........Ordered from Nordic........Randall model 1-8" SS, Black Micarta with single finger groove (I seem to recall it was called a Griffin handle) Duraluminum butt cap, Nickel Silver guard.
I wish I still had it.......:( I have seen many Randall's since but none as nice as that one.

Mine was a model 27, the first time I saw one I was at awe . It has gone all over with me several trips , far away lands, cook many meals. That knife has made 4 of my friends also buy them and now they are full on into collecting Randall"s. It means more to me that the first gun I bought

Got a 14 from my parents when I was commissioned. Picked up several others over the years, 15, Bear Bowie, Sasquatch, #8, 23, 5, and a 1 I traded for an Alaskan Skinner (think that was the model). The 14 and 15, which I took to the sandbox will stay for sure to be given to my Boys when they are old enough.

My very first Randall was a model 8-4 old grind with brass furniture and very nice stag handle from the mid to late 1960's. Here's a picture for your
viewing pleasure.

Dan in Silicon Valley

Attachments

• Randall model 8-4.jpg
    Randall model 8-4.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 79
Model 18, I think the blade was 5.5 inches. Crutch tip on the handle. Solingen blade.Helicopter Crew Chief, the reason I bought it.

My first (and still only) is a carbon steel 14 CDT with brass Model 1 double hilt, green canvas micarta Commando grip and brass butt plate. It might as well be a Model 1.

My first,,,, I was a Boy Scout longer than many people serve in the military. On one of my camping trips I met a war vet who showed us his Sinew backed traditional short bows, instructed us in friction fire, and some other cool stuff. I saw he had an impressive blade in a distinctive leather sheath. He let me hold his Randall #14. I purchased one of my own shortly after joining the military.

The first Randall I bought was the #16 Diver.

Randall-16-57.JPG

However, the first Randall I bought and got in hand was the #15 Airman.

Randall-15-44.JPG

Last edited:
My first (and still only) is a carbon steel 14 CDT with brass Model 1 double hilt, green canvas micarta Commando grip and brass butt plate. It might as well be a Model 1.

After owning a few various RMK's now; I agree with one of your older statements Rick. The CDT is the proper outfitting of the #14 Attack knife.

I also remember Samael's good words; "Buy the standard version of the knife before buying an optioned model"

words of wisdom both of them.

Model #1-7, SS, Randall ivory, nickel-silver hilt, ordered from Randall in the early 1960's (still have it).

So, if you had the chance to do it over, would you make the same first choice?

Back in 2001 i was in Orlando for a vacation with my wife and her family. My wife was spending lot's of time with her sisters, i took advantage and rented a car, found directions and drove by myself (none of the men in her family wanted to go with me, they all thought i was nuts...) directly to Randall Knives and took a tour of the Randall shop and museum, i ordered this one that day and received it 4 years later. I have always wanted a Randall since i was a kid in Boy Scouts. It's my first and only for now. And it has a cool story (at least IMO) so i will never part with it, hopefully, God willing i can hand it down to my grandkids someday.
IMAG0442.jpg

Back