Your 1st Randall?

Ah, but has the ivory cracked? $10 says it has.:D
I'm happy to collect your $10, Samael. There's a picture on the knifetalkforums... I'll try to link to it.
26184-Model-1---ivory---SS.jpg

-Steve

I read and reread the catalog for weeks and decided on the #5. Then I went to the shop to place my order. After a nice long conversation with Pete Hamilton, I settled on a six inch stainless blade, stag handle with finger grips, brass hilt and butt plate, and a wrist thong. Eleven months later I went back to pick it up. The year was 1996.

16aaaa9.jpg

My first purchased-Model 16-Used part of my re-enlistment bonus in the Georgia Nat Guard.

I also remember Samael's good words; "Buy the standard version of the knife before buying an optioned model"

After being into the Randall "thing" on and off for the past few years, I still think the standard models are my favorite. I think I'd rather have a 20 year old standard #14 that's been used than a pretty looking opted out one that's three times the price.

Model 11 Alaskan Skinner bought new in about 1980. It's cleaned and skinned literally dozens of deer over the years and been sharpened a bunch of
times. Apologies to all the serious collectors but I bought it specifically to have a quality straight blade hunting knife and it has been just that. Still
near perfect condition.

Steve

Model 11 Alaskan Skinner bought new in about 1980. It's cleaned and skinned literally dozens of deer over the years and been sharpened a bunch of
times. Apologies to all the serious collectors but I bought it specifically to have a quality straight blade hunting knife and it has been just that. Still
near perfect condition.

Steve

Welcome to the forum, Steve. Great story to introduce yourself to us with. And, definitely no reason to apologize to "collectors". hehe We like to see them being used around here. Are pictures of your 11 at all possible? Thanks!

My first is a Model 25-6 Trapper in stainless,brass guard,stag and leather handle and aluminum butt.
Makes a great Hunting knife.

Welcome to the forum, Steve. Great story to introduce yourself to us with. And, definitely no reason to apologize to "collectors". hehe We like to see them being used around here. Are pictures of your 11 at all possible? Thanks!
Here is a pic of his Randall and welcome to the forum dad ;)
100_0162.jpg

Wow. Look at that. That's an awesome 11 that probably has a few stories to tell. Thanks for the pic Psyop and for having your dad join in!

My first one in hand was a #15 with Maroon finger groove handle. The #14 was my first love and 2nd knife.

HPIM4732.jpg

My first was a #1, 6" stainless blade, nickle guard, and a leather #2 commando handle. It also had my name on it. Paid $96 for it in 1977, and got it in 3 months.

First one I bought was a Model 8, tool steel, stag handle and I still have it. I bought it from A G Russell.

Rod, I thought about you today; came across your address and was wondering where you were these days, back in Ireland?

-S

Rod, I thought about you today; came across your address and was wondering where you were these days, back in Ireland?

-S

Sheldon
Living in Ireland, in the rain. We will move back to Canada sometime in 2012. Thanks for checking on me.

Steve/Cut n Run
I too have a RMK knife, not near as old as yours, with an ivory handle. Touch wood, the ivory has not cracked in 11 years. I use mineral oil on the handle. Don't know if that is a help for the handle not cracking, but so far the handle is flawless.
I think controlling the temperature and humidity are a couple of the factors in ensuring handle stability.

Last edited:
got my first today- got it from an old friend indirectly... he passed away afew months ago
i know nothing about it, and never knew he had any interest or association with knives until today- too late.....

would love to post a picture but i can't(unless someone will let me send it to them and they can post for me)

it was a user(in his younger days when he was able to) and i feel to honor him and the knife it will become a user again

i've come to the conclusion it's a model 6 (4.5") with a brass hilt, and much wider(than the current ones) inserts- the stag is almost completly white too and has a brass pin in the center- basically the only thing it seems to have in common with the current 6 is the blade and general handle shape(and ofcourse the dimensions)- everything else... is defferent in small ways its deffinitly not stainless- it's got a pretty nice patina

Last edited:
Sure, send me some pics and I'll post 'em for you... swickersham at sbcglobal dot net

My first was a #1, 6" stainless blade, nickle guard, and a leather #2 commando handle. It also had my name on it. Paid $96 for it in 1977, and got it in 3 months.

I hope you got a good return on your investment.

Back