Your 1st Randall?

I wish. It was stolen from my truck, along with fishing gear, and tools, around 1980.

Well the pox on that asshole thief! That sounds like one heck of a good looking knife. It sounds nicely optioned.

Stolen knives will never work out good for the thief.

My first was a #16 saw tooth blade w/o saw teeth single lug brass guard, thumb jimping on top in front of grip finger groove grip.

Steve/Cut n Run
I too have a RMK knife, not near as old as yours, with an ivory handle. Touch wood, the ivory has not cracked in 11 years. I use mineral oil on the handle. Don't know if that is a help for the handle not cracking, but so far the handle is flawless.
I think controlling the temperature and humidity are a couple of the factors in ensuring handle stability.
Yes, once or twice a year I wipe some mineral oil on the handle, let it stay overnight, then wipe it off. I think that has helped.
-Steve

My first Randall given to me this Christmas by two very dear friends.

pc280345.jpg

Very dear friends, obviously. That's sweet. What's the wood? Ironwood?

I'm not sure. I'm sort of a noob when it comes to knife materials, outside of the obvious stuff, like being able to tell stainless from carbon steel. How can I tell what the wood is?

You really can't. Short of talking to whoever ordered it, or getting the shop to go through their records (good luck with that), it's anybody's guess.

It does sorta look like shop ironwood to me, but it's hard to say with any kind of certainty, especially from a photo.

Well it seems a bit porous and has several layered darker colors in it, while overall having sort of a reddish or orange underlying color. My friends have many Randalls some as old as they come I suppose, and I was a little stunned at the gift. It's a fine, fine bit of knife, no doubt about it.

My first...and the one that got me started was purchased 20 yrs ago at our small towns sheriffs sale. Model 5 with old yellow Westinghouse with rough back sheet in mint condition. It came in an evidence bag along with a bali song. I recently found the bali in a drawer and found out it was a custom ground by Jody Sampson. Sold it for more than the Randall is worth today.I think I paid $80 for the pair. Now a 100 Randalls later.......

My first Randall given to me this Christmas by two very dear friends.

pc280345.jpg

Very nice. I want some friends like that.

Samael, can you point out the options in that one? I see stainless, sawteeth, brass double hilt, ironwood with finger grips and I think duralumin butt cap. Is that it?

Nope. You missed the wrist thong, and those look like red/brass spacers too (though it's hard to tell from that pic). More than five, though.

Nope. You missed the wrist thong, and those look like red/brass spacers too (though it's hard to tell from that pic). More than five, though.

I saw them but wondered if I was counting right. I stopped at five not knowing better.

The limit of five only went into effect in 2007, I believe. Which means that, with the five-year delay, they could still be shipping brand-new knives with more options than that. But not for much longer.

Funny thing about this place. If you stick around for a while and pay attention, there's something new to learn every day.;)

I collect, not Randalls, but I believe every collection deserves a Randall. My one and only is a 5-5 bought many years ago second hand but in new condition. It is a beautiful and well made knife, and is obviously a useful and utilitarian tool. It is old enough to have the maker's name on the blade. I would not buy a current Randall for lack of the true maker's name on it.

Hey Samael... what's the 'S' hanging on the side of the maker's mark mean, by the way?

I collect, not Randalls, but I believe every collection deserves a Randall. My one and only is a 5-5 bought many years ago second hand but in new condition. It is a beautiful and well made knife, and is obviously a useful and utilitarian tool. It is old enough to have the maker's name on the blade. I would not buy a current Randall for lack of the true maker's name on it.

Not to start something, but what do you mean by the true makers name on it? Randall knives are still made by Randalls, the son and grandson of Bo, I believe. So Randall knives do have the true makers name on them.

Dan in Kalifornia

Back