Your 2018 Traditional Knife Of The Year

Wow! What a beauty! :) The Churchill looks to be a useful pattern, and that is really a special knife :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack!

Awesome knife Railsplitter!
I had exactly the same experience, and no contest the result is my knife of the decade.
The Churchill for me checked all the boxes and I was very disappointed that there was not a jigged bone Northfield variant on offer. So I had that remedied.
I need to get some more good pics of this knife but I have been so busy (lazy) this year I haven't had the time.

wH9cg3s.jpg

Stu, that jigging is to die for! Quite possibly the best I've ever seen.

I had exactly the same experience, and no contest the result is my knife of the decade.
The Churchill for me checked all the boxes and I was very disappointed that there was not a jigged bone Northfield variant on offer. So I had that remedied.
I need to get some more good pics of this knife but I have been so busy (lazy) this year I haven't had the time.

wH9cg3s.jpg

Gorgeous! :cool: :thumbsup:

I was fortunate to pick up several "grail" knives for the collection this year, but among the ones I actually carry and use, this ebony #85 takes the prize. I reground it to perfectly suit me, and it's a joy to carry and use.

AD8UgtS.jpg

Nice Jeff :thumbsup:

Mine has been a surprise for sure. I bought this LT Wright Patriot as a pocketable fixed blade. Super sharp, handy size, make tinder, make shavings, skinned a doe, started a fire using a fero rod.... Great size.

I actually thought I lost it a couple of weeks ago in the woods. I found out the next day that I had forgotten to remove it from a pocket and the wife found it prior to washing.

I've dropped it and damaged the edge on concrete.... had to redo the edge, now it's shaving sharp.

I spent about 2 days worrying about it and looking to buy a replacement ASAP. Just a great little knife.

qp4qMGv.jpg

Great write-up Woodrow :thumbsup: How you doing buddy, found myself wondering about you the other day? Hope all's well :thumbsup:

Thanks for keeping the "Knife of the Year" tradition alive in the Traditional Forum, Jack Black Jack Black !
This was last years, if I got it this year it would be this years.
Nice posts! Good thread, Jack Jack Black Jack Black !
It'll come as no surprise that my knife of 2017 is the Lloyd I picked up off the exchange in January of this year. I'm a lover of Sambar stag covers and the covers on this knife are fitted so well and are so attractive to me I can't help CE & CF it. The 4" closed length, which normally would keep me from carrying a knife, is somehow insignificant because of it's slimness and light weight. The shadow pattern with the small pivot pin really sets this one off to me. A great slicer and all around super EDC. I'd say it's with me a minimum of 90% of the time.

On top of that is huge respect I have for Mr. Lloyd as a maker and a human being. He's shown his generosity to the members of this forum. His contribution of Sambar stag for the 2014 trad forum knife and that years alternate Eric's Jack was above and beyond. I don't recall the number of forum knives (looked it up, 350) made but I do know there were 100 Eric's Jacks.

It gives me great pleasure and satisfaction to own, carry and use this knife.
I know I've gone on and on, but Jack gave me another opening! Thanks!
0zVHuSs.jpg

fKVShOe.jpg

QQa5xGp.jpg
My knife purchases have really taken a nosedive, mostly because I have so many. I've become much more thoughtful and selective in what I add to my accumulation.

My choices pretty much came down to two fixed blade knives that I picked up this past year, one of them very recently. It didn't take me that long to decide.

Number two is a little Crotts Design, Arkansas Made Dozier. D2 and Blue Maple Burl. A great little carry. Shown with the Lloyd that rarely gets left behind.
LnWOGMk.jpg

Number one, My Knife of 2018 is the Tom Krein Mini-bushcrafter, A2 and Ironwood Burl. This one is just perfect, IMO. A wonderful build, great materials, a real nice leather sheath. I've had it on my belt doing little tasks since I got it, and so far I'm totally pleased. Again the Lloyd, which is my primary EDC slip joint shares the stage.
HeqFp0o.jpg

Great posts so far, Porch folk!

Thanks for keeping the "Knife of the Year" tradition alive in the Traditional Forum, Jack Black Jack Black !
This was last years, if I got it this year it would be this years.

My knife purchases have really taken a nosedive, mostly because I have so many. I've become much more thoughtful and selective in what I add to my accumulation.

My choices pretty much came down to two fixed blade knives that I picked up this past year, one of them very recently. It didn't take me that long to decide.

Number two is a little Crotts Design, Arkansas Made Dozier. D2 and Blue Maple Burl. A great little carry. Shown with the Lloyd that rarely gets left behind.
LnWOGMk.jpg

Number one, My Knife of 2018 is the Tom Krein Mini-bushcrafter, A2 and Ironwood Burl. This one is just perfect, IMO. A wonderful build, great materials, a real nice leather sheath. I've had it on my belt doing little tasks since I got it, and so far I'm totally pleased. Again the Lloyd, which is my primary EDC slip joint shares the stage.
HeqFp0o.jpg

Great posts so far, Porch folk!

Thank you Gary, I found myself looking at your post from last year just this morning :) Great knife, great runner-up, and always a pleasure to see your lovely Lloyd :) :thumbsup:

An SK Blades Lil' Jack would have to be my knife of the year.
It is my first SFO, and my first Buck 112.

I reserve the right to change my choice after the Forum Knife arrives.

Congratulations on your first SFO :thumbsup:

For me, the Case Sowbelly was my 2018 Knife of the Year. I bought well over a dozen of them from various years. Here are some of them with separate pictures of one covered with Barb Wire Bone.

FazIwhN.jpg

hh4CiDT.jpg

TgGlF5y.jpg

It's difficult for me to make a pick like this as I bought well over 100-knives this year of various patterns, ages, etc.. As an example, it was difficult not to select these 6365 Case Large Stockman knives.

YAjstyQ.jpg

For me, the Case Sowbelly was my 2018 Knife of the Year. I bought well over a dozen of them from various years. Here are some of them with separate pictures of one covered with Barb Wire Bone.

FazIwhN.jpg

hh4CiDT.jpg

TgGlF5y.jpg

It's difficult for me to make a pick like this as I bought well over 100-knives this year of various patterns, ages, etc.. As an example, it was difficult not to select these 6365 Case Large Stockman knives.

YAjstyQ.jpg

No slowing down for you Ed! :D Beautiful knives, and that barbed-wire bone is incredible, I've never seen it before :thumbsup:

I've had quite a prolific year in the Case buying department ... but this one stands out as my BEST of 2018. It is a 1980 #47 - nothing special ... what makes it so great is the transformation. It didn't look like much in the ad, thus I got it for a song. After some elbow grease and thorough cleaning up, it turned into a fabulous knife - tight as a drum and snap on all blades is fiercely hard. This is my best of 2018 ... a true diamond in the rough - proudly sits in my all time top 3:

BEFORE

spkpsuD.jpg

AFTER

R0cafmt.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping this going Jack.
I've been lucky to acquire some very nice knives this year. From this Olsen folder that Stuart @Duckdog gifted to me on my birthday.PhotoPictureResizer_181204_123343155-1024x768.jpg to some knives that I've been looking for for a while, such as a Schrade wirejack, a WWII Kabar, and Swedish barrel knives.
I've also been lucky to acquire several of John Lloyd's knives including a couple that have been eye-opening like the stacked leather sowbelly. The sowbelly has risen to my pattern of the year and my favorite knife to carry.
The 2018 Knife of the Year was an easy choice. It is the only knife that I commissioned from beginning to end. It was a stag teardrop with an engraved shell as the shield. John @John L made a matched pair for me and they are treasured as remembrances.PhotoPictureResizer_181204_123255797-1024x937.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is again Jack, on a Case 6354 Large Trapper that I also bought this year.

eVau28H.jpg

And again on a Case Copperlock

5wq7AYU.jpg

Thanks for showing those Ed, I guess I need to look around more! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks for keeping this going Jack.
I've been lucky to acquire some very nice knives this year. From this Olsen folder that Stuart @Duckdog gifted to me on my birthday.View attachment 1031569 to some knives that I've been looking for for a while, such as a Schrade wirejack, a WWII Kabar, and Swedish barrel knives.
I've also been lucky to acquire several of John Lloyd's knives including a couple that have been eye-opening like the stacked leather sowbelly. The sowbelly has risen to my pattern of the year and my favorite knife to carry.
The 2018 Knife of the Year was an easy choice. It is the only knife that I commissioned from beginning to end. It was a stag teardrop with an engraved shell as the shield. John @John L made a matched pair for me and they are treasured as remembrances.View attachment 1031570

That Olsen is lovely Alan, but your Lloyd's are in a class of their own, I'm sure I'm not alone in regularly admiring them :thumbsup:

The Continental ...oh so close !!

41354970262_a71376a98a_b.jpg

Kris's special gift

26052565247_f5c9625fcf_b.jpg

My 3rd GEC

39731506232_3034b522d6_b.jpg

The winner, most carried of 2018

The John Primble - India Steel Works
Sow Belly Jack

46178123171_1e90ecaf56_b.jpg

Each of those is a stunner Gev, nice choice though :thumbsup:

FazIwhN.jpg

Looks good Ed! I've always liked the scripted shield on that pattern myself.

Great write-up Woodrow :thumbsup: How you doing buddy, found myself wondering about you the other day? Hope all's well :thumbsup:

Yes sir. Too busy with work, a little travel, and hunting when I can. I kinda stay off of here as it just makes me want to buy pretty knives! I do miss the folk though. I guess I just need to work it out and become a minimalist like Carl.

wH9cg3s.jpg

I just love how that recover turned out. Enviable blade there, my friend! That jigging is classic and puts the knife into a whole new category of cool.

I was fortunate to pick up several "grail" knives for the collection this year, but among the ones I actually carry and use, this ebony #85 takes the prize. I reground it to perfectly suit me, and it's a joy to carry and use.

AD8UgtS.jpg

You know how much I love clipped and coped blades on a knife to make it your own, Jeff. I've got a 35 HJ with a 78 on my radar to clip, and maybe cope the 78. That's a real nice example of a Tidioute 85, too.

The winner for me this year is the following iteration of the #77 Barlow. My favorite knives are two blade knives, but they mostly were single spring opposite ends due to comfort in hand. I was turned off to most 2-blade jacks, with the exception of a few like the #66 patterns that have pretty well sunken joints. But then when these 77s came out, something about the proportions just made it right. I wasn't able to get an ironwood knife when they came out, and I had a micarta knife for a little while, but just wasn't crazy about the micarta as much as I liked the knife's proportions and hangling. Recently an opportunity to land this one showed up (thanks @JaxBaron ) and it was love at first sight. The grain on this example is really, really sweet.

31240005117_ef0d22d881_b.jpg

Honorable mention goes to this #68 White Owl that @Will Power sent to me. A little of that single spring fix, some really nice, seasoned cocobolo, and a centered cloud shield with a long pull. Ooh-la-la!

27128829587_9d3659ac89_b.jpg

Yes sir. Too busy with work, a little travel, and hunting when I can. I kinda stay off of here as it just makes me want to buy pretty knives! I do miss the folk though. I guess I just need to work it out and become a minimalist like Carl.

This year has flown for me, just don't know where it's gone! :eek: I hope we'll see you here from time to time my friend :) :thumbsup:

The winner for me this year is the following iteration of the #77 Barlow. My favorite knives are two blade knives, but they mostly were single spring opposite ends due to comfort in hand. I was turned off to most 2-blade jacks, with the exception of a few like the #66 patterns that have pretty well sunken joints. But then when these 77s came out, something about the proportions just made it right. I wasn't able to get an ironwood knife when they came out, and I had a micarta knife for a little while, but just wasn't crazy about the micarta as much as I liked the knife's proportions and hangling. Recently an opportunity to land this one showed up (thanks @JaxBaron ) and it was love at first sight. The grain on this example is really, really sweet.

31240005117_ef0d22d881_b.jpg

Honorable mention goes to this #68 White Owl that @Will Power sent to me. A little of that single spring fix, some really nice, seasoned cocobolo, and a centered cloud shield with a long pull. Ooh-la-la!

27128829587_9d3659ac89_b.jpg

I love the wood on your Barlow :) :thumbsup:

Back