Your COVID19 responses (projects you’re doing), let’s see ‘em, and mine (86 splitback whittler mod)

A week ago I bought a 1x30 belt sander (cheapo). I have been wanting a sander for ages but all this stuff going on finally made me do it. A couple days ago I got in some quality belts in various grits. I have a number of knives that I would like to thin the blades out and improve cutting performance so that's why I bought all this, and I thought it would be fun.

I'm starting to get the hang of it after practicing on junkers and worked on this 61ot after I got home from work yesterday. I was not going for perfection in finish, but a nice lean and straight grind and thinner edges. It turned out well. I recut the swedges too since I took the blades down enough that the original swedges pretty much disappeared.

View attachment 1314678 View attachment 1314679

It was buffed and ugly, and it still looks kinda ugly, but with increased performance! Here's how it looked before.

View attachment 1314680
View attachment 1314681
That turned out really nice. Your swedges look great.

‘bout half a cup of rice.
1dQIVO5.jpg

If you want a whole cup of something, you’ll just have to use two half-cups, or wait until I find the right piece of wood...

Back