Your Fighter EDC

Clock 19 (with a few duplicates for backup)

however, my EDC folder is a ZT 0200 (and i have a backup), and the closest thing i have to a "fighter" style knife is a Blackjack AWAC, well, actually two of those too.

and kukris are always good, just a little akward for EDC.

You guys kill me. I didn't ask about guns. I carry plenty of them. I was just wondering you guys like blades like Strider, Hinderer, Badiwamann, etc....

I wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight; but I'd bring one to all the other kinds... :)

Strider? not terribly impressed with the style of most of their blades, and i've heard some stuff about Mick Strider that makes me feel uninclined to spend any of my money on his products.

Hinderer? i'd love to find a 3.5" XM18 with an orange scale and a flipper. but finding anything from Hinderer that's not a Gerber production knife seems to be a challenge.

Badiwamann? no clue who or what this is, i'll need to google shortly.

Busse? not terribly impressed with their asymetrical edge stuff, but the knives all seem nice, just over the pricepoint i generally want to pay, AND all the bussekin stuff seems to be next to impossible to just go to their website any buy. it's like you've gotta win the lottery once to afford it, and then win again to find what you want.

Horton? has some nice stuff, but mostly chisel ground and i'm not a huge chisel grind fan.

"I wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight"

Not me, I always bring a knife to a "gun fight". Hell I'll bring a knife to a fist fight too, if your buddies step in they're eating that Rat1 or a HEST. Just depends what I'm serving that night.:D

I'm old enough now that I've sort of let go of the romantic notion of knife fighting.But I carry a Spyderco Rescue in my coat pocket for a what if knife.Saying rescue on the blade would look less threatening to a jury than terminator.For me,if I had to use a knife,it's to slash and escape.

"I wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight"

Not me, I always bring a knife to a "gun fight". Hell I'll bring a knife to a fist fight too, if your buddies step in they're eating that Rat1 or a HEST. Just depends what I'm serving that night.:D

Yeah, uh-huh.... heard all of this before. Way too many times ;)

I carry a stupid-simple Spyderco at work to deflate boxes for the dumpster or to open boxes to get product out. If I am outside and taking stuff to the dumpster or doing anything else I have to do in life and someone is intent on injuring or killing me, am I supposed to do nothing? If someone tries to yank my wife out of the car, am I, or she, supposed to do nothing?

See, that's the other side of the argument that is basically being said. "Don't use a viable tool."

I say use and every means (and tool) necessary to incapacitate a threat. What I'm also saying is most people have this "carry a knife and be safe" defense bullshit ingrained in their head and they're simply fooling themselves, the same as they are by being a "black belt".

I carry pepper spray with CS gas for self defense. Also I try at all times to avoid putting myself in situations where it would come down to using anything except my brain to get me out of trouble. In the city I carry a knife for utility... even if I wanted to use a knife for defense by the time I got it out I would be screwed.

I read an interesting article about the myths and fallacies of knife fighting recently, I'll see if I can find it.

I say use and every means (and tool) necessary to incapacitate a threat. What I'm also saying is most people have this "carry a knife and be safe" defense bullshit ingrained in their head and they're simply fooling themselves, the same as they are by being a "black belt".

No argument there. :D

...they're simply fooling themselves, the same as they are by being a "black belt".

i have a "black belt" in Ching Ching Pow. :D

it holds my pants up, holds my Glock's holster and a leatherman, and sometimes a <3" fixed blade.

it was about thirty something bucks from The Wilderness.

my EDC knives are for utilitarian uses, because chewing thru cardboard and tape leaves a funny taste in my mouth and sometimes i'm lacking in patience to open something. :rolleyes: as i sit here at my desk, i've got my Glock, a spare mag, a <3" fixed blade, a 4" folder, two Leatherman tools (Charge XTi and micra), a <2" fixed blade, a SAK and a AA LED flashlight, plus a few Photons on my keys along with a sharpie. whups. can't forget the "tactical pants" with cargo pockets to carry it all. (and i'm not wearing a necker today)

fortunately, i'm at no risk of falling into any water. i'd drown for sure!

yeah, not like i'm obsessed or anything. just never know when i might have to count on my catlike reflexes to open the mail or something. :rolleyes:

there's also a cat on the desk and a dog behind my chair. :cool:

i have a "black belt" in Ching Ching Pow. :D

Yeah, that one has mold on it. I have a black belt in rack-rack-boom, too.

Like I said, people get caught up in the whole "knife fighting" thing without even realizing there are so many other situations where a knife is incredibly viable.

I would rather use a blackjack or a sap or something that has the capability to knock someone unconscious instantly. That's a better self-defense weapon. You don't have to rely on terror (proper use of the word) to get them to stop assaulting you, you don't have to rely on attempting to physically disable them which is a pipedream promoted by people who should know better...not that you can't do it but you can't rely on it. And, you don't have to wait for them to hemorrhage to the point where they lose consciousness. You just turn their lights out. It's reliable and I can tell you from firsthand experience that it is much safer for a person to do that.

Back in the 80s there was a trend in attacks known as "wilding." Basically a gang of punks would assault someone and just overwhelm them. If I cannot have a firearm in that situation, I would rather have an edged weapon. Unless someone is totally psychotic, the point and the edge is a deterrent, especially if one of their buddies takes a good hit and they can see the results. Different situations call for different approaches.

I think part of the problem is, it's been talked to death and people just think it's bullshit. Not that there isn't a lot of bullshit surrounding the topic because there is. But there is also a metric shitload of pure, unadulterated bullshit surrounding firearms as well.

I always have my ESEE 3, 4, or 5 on me. I'm sure they'll work just as good as any combat knife.

But I have a Sig P229R for self defense. A knife would be last resort.

That Bush Operator looks bad ass, though.

To me knives are tools, anything from a pen to a tree branch can be used in self defense.

However, I am a "shit happens" kind of guy and I carry a few with me. Living in Canada carrying a firearm legally is not an option so I carry a Fenix Flashlight and thick marker as striking weapons. For blades I carry an Emerson Commander, Emerson La Griff and my Izula is my working blade.

I have been cut and stabbed while doing nightclub security, it hurts, its fast and you don't even know it happened till you drop or someone sees blood coming out of you and starts to scream.

While I would rather avoid the fight, there are just sometimes when shit happens.

I pretty much have a sardonic opinion to most all of this tactical, survival, warrior stuff.

Back