Your first Spyderco of 2019?

Salt Native 5, SE. Was supposed to only buy the LW Para 3 this year, but couldn’t resist FFG SE in a new (to me) steel. And I’ve always liked the look of the Native

My new Amalgam arrived this week via APO. I am very excited about this awesome new Spyderco!

JfSx56t.jpg

My 1st and ONLY Spyderco was ordered today. The Native 5 in black G10 will be mine. I'm usually browsing in the Buck forum since that's mostly what I own. But I wanted a Spyderco after handling one my father in law had last time he visited. Not sure of the model, but it had a hawkbill blade. I was just impressed with the quality overall. I also use the Sharpmaker I so I figured I'd better try one of their knives too. Better late than never I guess!

Military - REX 45 inbound from National Knives.

I've yet to buy a single Spidie this year, but my want list seems to be getting bigger by the day.

I was at my local knife shop yesterday and tried on a Shaman and really liked it. I'm sure I tried it before and it felt a bit big, but somehow this time it's way up there on the WTB list. I'm hoping there will be some more sprints/exclusives around the corner. I could see it becoming a pocket hog.

Besides the Shaman, theres a bunch of others I'd like to try out..

Amalgam
Advocate
Tropen

Possibly a drunken or smock, but they don't really scream out to me.

I will most likely get an endela when they come out, because I don't own any FRN. Also a fluted cf native5 to go with my Ti version would be sweet.

Lots of other spidies on the radar, but these are the highlights without putting a lot of thought into it.

Besides the Shaman, theres a bunch of others I'd like to try out..

Amalgam
Advocate
Tropen

Possibly a drunken or smock, but they don't really scream out to me.

All good choices depending on what you like/need. I don't "need" any of them but I like and own them all. :)

All good choices depending on what you like/need. I don't "need" any of them but I like and own them all. :)
Out of the 4 mentioned which is a standout for you?

Of the 4 I've only handled the Shaman. I also don't need any more knives.. but I need some more knives. Haha

Out of the 4 mentioned which is a standout for you?

Of the 4 I've only handled the Shaman. I also don't need any more knives.. but I need some more knives. Haha

My rankings probably wouldn't be the same as yours. Really depends on your own likes/dislikes.

FWIW, here's how I see them:

I like SD knives and mainly carry a knife for that purpose.

So, the Tropen is at the top of the list for me because it's designed as a SD knife. It's a big knife w/a long upswept blade and polished G10 handle that are both properly shaped/designed for SD use. It also offers 5 methods of deployment (flipper, Spydie hole or wave tab w/thumb, wave tab from pocket, gravity flick and wrist flick); something that is not available in any other folder that I am aware of. You can also use the handle for blunt force strikes in the closed and open position. Like I said, it's designed as an SD knife.

On the other hand, if your needs are more conventional and:

1) you like a larger handle w/a wide leaf shaped blade that feels more substantial in your hand, the Shaman would be the choice,

2) or, you like a classic design with a longer/sleeker blade, the Advocate would be the one to pick.

3) or, you like a longer rectangular shaped blade and consider paper thin slicing ability most important, then the Amalgam would be the choice.

FWIW, IMO, the Advocate is the prettiest, most comfortable and has the best shape for general use of the 3. It's the knife I'd want to carry to make a statement but it's not just for show; it can get the job done too.

On the other hand, the Shaman is probably the most "practical"; no one (who's not a knife person) will think much of it when they see it but it will get any job done that needs doing.

And, while the Amalgram can be carried as an EDC, the length and shape of its blade could limit its usefulness. I also do not like the "feel" of the CF/G10 laminate scales when compared w/the textured Ti scales of the Advocate or the smooth G10 scales of the Shaman. So, I personally would not carry it as an EDC.

Good luck choosing/buying 1 because the hardest thing to do is to buy just 1. ;)

Last edited:
My rankings probably wouldn't be the same as yours. Really depends on your own likes/dislikes.

FWIW, here's how I see them:

I like SD knives and mainly carry a knife for that purpose.

So, the Tropen is at the top of the list for me because it's designed as a SD knife. It's a big knife w/a long upswept blade and polished G10 handle that are both properly shaped/designed for SD use. It also offers 5 methods of deployment (flipper, Spydie hole or wave tab w/thumb, wave tab from pocket, gravity flick and wrist flick); something that is not available in any other folder that I am aware of. You can also use the handle for blunt force strikes in the closed and open position. Like I said, it's designed as an SD knife.

On the other hand, if your needs are more conventional and:

1) you like a larger handle w/a wide leaf shaped blade that feels more substantial in your hand, the Shaman would be the choice,

2) or, you like a classic design with a longer/sleeker blade, the Advocate would be the one to pick.

3) or, you like a longer rectangular shaped blade and consider paper thin slicing ability most important, then the Amalgam would be the choice.

FWIW, IMO, the Advocate is the prettiest, most comfortable and has the best shape for general use of the 3. It's the knife I'd want to carry to make a statement but it's not just for show; it can get the job done too.

On the other hand, the Shaman is probably the most "practical"; no one (who's not a knife person) will think much of it when they see it but it will get any job done that needs doing.

And, while the Amalgram can be carried as an EDC, the length and shape of its blade could limit its usefulness. I also do not like the "feel" of the CF/G10 laminate scales when compared w/the textured Ti scales of the Advocate or the smooth G10 scales of the Shaman. So, I personally would not carry it as an EDC.

Good luck choosing/buying 1 because the hardest thing to do is to buy just 1. ;)
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. True enough on prefrences and that your number one standout could be my least favorite. Kind of a nonsense question now that I think about it.

The knife shop in my city has a pretty good selection, but only 1 of 4 as of right now as mentioned. I could see them getting the amalgam soonish tho, and I could try it out. It's possibly too big for my usual carry. The tropen gets a pass on the size issue because of its SD design and I probably wouldn't edc it. Just to have in the collection as a cool knife/fidget knife

I think the Shaman is a slam dunk for me when the cruwear/CF or micarta version comes out.

I will probably have to buy them all if I'm unable to test them in person before purchase.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. True enough on prefrences and that your number one standout could be my least favorite. Kind of a nonsense question now that I think about it.

The knife shop in my city has a pretty good selection, but only 1 of 4 as of right now as mentioned. I could see them getting the amalgam soonish tho, and I could try it out. It's possibly too big for my usual carry. The tropen gets a pass on the size issue because of its SD design and I probably wouldn't edc it. Just to have in the collection as a cool knife/fidget knife

I think the Shaman is a slam dunk for me when the cruwear/CF or micarta version comes out.

I will probably have to buy them all if I'm unable to test them in person before purchase.

Just in case you haven't seen them altogether before, here's a photo of them for your examination:

S5xxmRB.jpg

Just in case you haven't seen them altogether before, here's a photo of them for your examination:

S5xxmRB.jpg
Thanks for the picture!

That doesn't make the decision any easier because they all look like great knives.

I'm looking...

The two knives I'm looking at are both S30V, which as a whole I've had rotten luck with...

However, the Yojimbo 2 I won in a gaw last year is doing quite well. Shockingly, (to me at least) it has not chipped at all, micro or otherwise. I use it to cut up pills once a month as well as other normal uses. It's kept a decent edge too.

Should my faith be restored? I really want either a Mantra 3 or an Ikuchi. Also now considering the sliverax.

Last edited:
Back