Your Midget Knife

Certainly cute and probably functional as a knife with a 1 3/8" blade. But it's a bit small from me. For comparison, a 84mm SAK has about a 2.1" blade.

This little guy is on my keychain and sometimes, I actually use it..Lol
20200708-201857.jpg

Itty bitty knives are mostly about sales, and frequently impulse buys. But one man's tiny is another man's useful size. Makes the consumer world go around.

Itty bitty knives are mostly about sales, and frequently impulse buys. But one man's tiny is another man's useful size. Makes the consumer world go around.

I can't agree with that. I know from just the experiments in my own family with the non knife nut members who always were saying "Hey Carl, let me borrow your knife," that once given a little keychain Vic classic, they became knife carriers. They just didn't want to bother with a larger knife of any kind, but given something small enough that went on their keyring so it was always there, they became die hard SAK classic fans. Like most non knife nut people, they just didn't want to have a lump of something in their pocket that they only had use for once in a while. A tiny little blade on a keyring was good enough.

Then theres the government buildings. Living in and around D.C. for most of my life, wth time spent in NYC, Philly, theres blade restrictions. In Federal government buildings it was like 2 inches or something. The federal funded museums like the Smithsonian and National Gallery Of Art on the Mall had security to go through. Very small pocket knives like SAK classics, Case peanuts and Eisenhower penknife, Schrade Old Timer minuteman, would go right through as would the small Opinels like the number 3 and 4. The Buck mini buck was a go as well.

In Europe, the airlines now let you carry small SAKs and such.

With the Victorinox classic being the worlds best selling pocket knife to the tune of 9 to 10 million a year, its hardly an impulse buy. And even that small blade will cut a piece of twine, open mail, and even those dammed bomb proof plastic blister packages.

Once you get past the knife nut obsession, how much blade do you really need in life in the great wilderness of suburbia?

A lot of people who are not knife nuts, but know that a sharp little bit of steel is a good thing now and then, want a little knife that will go unnoticed in the pocket until its needed.

.... Once you get past the knife nut obsession, how much blade do you really need in life in the great wilderness of suburbia?
More blade than a Classic or a 58mm SAK. These are people who almost never use a knife. They use scissors.

:) I much prefer a full sized handle and a nice big blade , for any real work .

I'm generally permitted to carry most anything I want , so I carry big .

But I do like having that little keychain , Micro Recon 1 , as a backup .

I've been known to forget most everything else , but can't get far without my car keys ! :p

Nice to use in public , in sensitive company and might be allowed places where my normal carry would raise alarm . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice to use in public , in sensitive company and might be allowed places where my normal carry would raise alarm . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yep, that's when I'm most often carrying my SAK Rambler: When I'm also carrying a large folder that might not be suitable for mixed company.

I use the "Would I feel comfortable taking this out in a restaurant?" sniff test. If the answer is no, along comes a tiny backup knife. ;)

:) I much prefer a full sized handle and a nice big blade , for any real work .

I'm generally permitted to carry most anything I want , so I carry big .

But I do like having that little keychain , Micro Recon 1 , as a backup .

I've been known to forget most everything else , but can't get far without my car keys ! :p

You make a good point about raising alarm.

Even when I had 'moderate' blade, 3.5", it would sometimes raise eyebrows as in 'WTF you need that for?'
I sometimes felt a little foolish using a large blade to cut a string, straps, or tape with what I was carrying; all my carry knives are over 3.5"
Now that I've changed over to fixed, it's probably worse since most of them are at least 4.5" and not very benign looking although they are as benign as I could make them.
I bought the little knife to carry when I don't have my SwissTool but I can see now how it can serve a different purpose.

Mine is the G.Sakai Preppy. First cousin to the A.G. Russell 3" lockback (the old made in Japan one, not the new made in China one). Flat, very thin, weighs about 1¾ feathers. 2.5" of blade in 3" of handle. It's so useful yet so unobtrusive that there's no reason for me not to carry it, even if it's redundant. The AGR (Japanese one) is even better, but I've only got one and it's rare so I don't carry it (yet).

AbshIEf.jpg

Okay, I'm feeling better now about getting that Opinel: yeah, I need another small knife!

jideta, look at me, you needed that little Opinel. :thumbsup:

You can never have too many of the little non locking Opinels, they're like semi disposable razors. They are sooooo light that disappear in a pocket, cost what a chain restaurant lunch is, and they will cut open any bag of mulch, cut near any rope/twine/string, and open those accursed plastic blister packages. :thumbsup:

Back