Your Most Regretable Knife Purchase

All those cheap crappy folders I've picked up at hardware store counters over the years before I discovered bladeforums.

How could I ever have driven my car knowing there wasn't an Izula in the center console??? *shudder*

What's surprising on this thread is that Busse has come up as much as any other brand. Interesting. Don't let the Busse forum know--we could have a full scale riot on our hands!

That wouldn't be because the Busse knives are no good, that would be because they are so expensive. When you pay over 400 bucks for a knife you have the idea that it must be super incredibly fantastic so when it turns out to be just a good knife you are VERY disappointed. It isn't going to be twice as good as a $70 knife like a BK-9 so it is easy to be disappointed at having spent so much to get knife that is better, but not enough better to justify the price.

Don't really regret any of them honestly. I consider them all a learning experience. Some of them are crap for sure, but I've in the end never really had regrets about a knife purchase.

That wouldn't be because the Busse knives are no good, that would be because they are so expensive. When you pay over 400 bucks for a knife you have the idea that it must be super incredibly fantastic so when it turns out to be just a good knife you are VERY disappointed. It isn't going to be twice as good as a $70 knife like a BK-9 so it is easy to be disappointed at having spent so much to get knife that is better, but not enough better to justify the price.

Yeah, that's my point. The money you spend doesn't necessarily get you the equivalent in product. You can spend $100 and get ripped off but spend $400 and get your money's worth. Busse's are great knives, no doubt, but I think in my case, the knife was not the size I needed.

The reason I never bought another was more because after owning one, I didn't think I'm getting $400 worth of knife. Is one Busse better than 3-4 ESEE's or Beckers? I hardly think so.

But, that's why there's 31 flavors, right? To each his own. I mean, some people will even go as far as thinking Cold Steel is worth the money they give. (Ouch, I know that was below the belt:D)

Probably my Microtech Ultratech...
Lots of $$ more purely cool factor.
It jams up with lint and such when carried.
It has a funky edge that I don't like sharpening.
and no one can seem to operate it easily after the illegal-assassin-switchblade shock passes. :p

I don't reget buying any knife. I always had a reason for buying them, some were cheep and I knew it. I reget NOT buying a lot of knives over the years. Some of them were inexpensive at the time and are worth a lot now. Like the Loveless's I didn't buy...

Now we are being told maybe Feb---March.This really sucks......VERY POOR PLANING.....

Then you can:

Cancel your order

Complain in the CORRECT forum, DPX gear.

Some how force yourself to understand that Sh** Happens, and live a more fulfilling life not being overly concerned about material things.

I'll gladly edit this all out if asked. My Whine-o-meter might be a bit too sensitive.

Hell I'm almost too ashamed to even post this. It would definitely be the little gem posted below. At least it was a cheap lesson. The only reason I keep it is that I wouldn't wish it on anyone else and it's a nice reminder of what a dumb ass I was when I first starting collecting knives.

The blade wobbles like hell. If you tighten the pivot the knife loses all automatic (using the term loosely) functions. The lock won't keep the blade from opening and sometimes I can be watching TV and here a random muffled thump (not thwack) and it has opened all on its own.

This one rates right up there with the original "Rambo" knife.

POS.jpg

ive had bad luck with a couple of benchmades.i sold both,dont remember the model numbers.also bought a ontario machete that had no edge at all, so i gave it away..

No regrets yet... every blade I've bought in recent memory has been highly recommended by members on this forum. Thanks for all the good chatter - Strat

I feel the same. I normally do a lot of research before buying one. I almost regretted the Busse SAR 3, but once I got it back from Garth, its one of my favorites.
I do want to buy an Essee 5. Seems like a great knife, but I already have two big and two smaller fixed blade knives. I think I would regret buying anything more that I can't use.:eek:

Last edited:
I once bought a Delica that I didn't like at all. It was an ATS-34 blade, but the clip was held on with one large hollow bolt like thing that ran through the handle. Clip moved around like crazy. I think it was maybe a Delica II, but I'm not sure. I ended up "trading" it, though since I never got anything in the trade I'm more inclined to call it stolen. Oh well.

Side note; I love every other Spyderco I've ever had. Still have my original Copilot and an Endura FFG that is awesome. I miss my original Delica and Endura with the clips molded into the handles (Delica was stolen, and I foolishly broke the Endura doing something stupid.) All great knives.

I feel the same. I normally do a lot of research before buying one. I almost regretted the Busse SAR 3, but once I got it back from Garth, its one of my favorites.
I do want to buy an Essee RAT 9. Seems like a great knife, but I already have two big and two smaller fixed blade knives. I think I would regret buying anything more that I can't use.:eek:

??????????

Any full serrated knife I've ever bought have been the most regrettable purchases I've ever made. Even partially serrated knives don't serve much purpose for me, although I don't mind them nearly as much.

I have been drooling over ESEE blades for weeks,I found a store that carried ESEE and made the drive. I told the guy I was interested in both a 4 serrated and a 5 in black, he handed me a 5 in green and said it was a slow seller and if I wanted a 5 $125 is the price! At that price! I bought it,the more I look at it the more I hate the green. Love the knife hate the green,I regret not paying the extra $ for the black.I shouldnt complain I have a new ESEE-5 for $125 but I am anyway. My 4 is bullet proof.

I have been drooling over ESEE blades for weeks,I found a store that carried ESEE and made the drive. I told the guy I was interested in both a 4 serrated and a 5 in black, he handed me a 5 in green and said it was a slow seller and if I wanted a 5 $125 is the price! At that price! I bought it,the more I look at it the more I hate the green. Love the knife hate the green,I regret not paying the extra $ for the black.I shouldnt complain I have a new ESEE-5 for $125 but I am anyway. My 4 is bullet proof.

Could the handle be dyed? Just a thought.

definately my smith and wesson extreme ops, haha, definatley fell for the tacticool on the tanto blade. another one would be my crkt lake thunderbolt, the thing is a beast of a folder but uncomfortable in the hand and way to big for the edc role in which i intended to use it.

Back