Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

I believe it is, but of you're worried about outgassing it's easy to take off since it's just a plastic film or shell.

You can pry it off with a pin...ect.
Thanks. Since it's still in good shape I'll leave it alone but keep it isolated.

The mailman was especially nice to me today. I got my Bear and Sons barlow, and my Case tiny trapper, with persimmon bone scales.
Bear%20open%20front_zpsyvafrhll.jpg

Trap%20tiny%20in%20hand_zpsfrp5ktqc.jpg

Picked up a Lion Steel Best Man one bladed folder at Blade. I handled both the one and two bladed versions and preferred the thinner one-blade version. The two blade version is a bit chunky from my point of view.

sb4TGWB.jpg
quSMvqz.jpg
oQzK4N6.jpg

Went to a new indoor flea market, slim pick'n on knives though. Did pick up a Imperial Frontier there though, still with factory edges. Then stopped by a army surplus place on the way home, and in a case full of new high zoot tactical fixed and folders was a box with mostly Pakistani and the bad Chinese stuff. But one thing in that box grabbed my eye immediately, a big brown delrin hawkbill. Opened it to reveal a completely unused Queen. If you look close you can see polishing compound in the lanyard hole. Some tiny pepper spots and a thumb print on the pile side leads me to believe its carbon steel.

Jer, the symbol to the left of the anvil is a date code, but I have yet to find the key for deciphering it. The 49er series ran from 1973 to 1979, but not all the four different patterns were made the whole time. I believe the 498 patterns you show were the most common, and the only pattern to run the whole seven years consecutively.

Jer, the symbol to the left of the anvil is a date code, but I have yet to find the key for deciphering it. The 49er series ran from 1973 to 1979, but not all the four different patterns were made the whole time. I believe the 498 patterns you show were the most common, and the only pattern to run the whole seven years consecutively.
These are the only two 49ers I've seen in real life, which supports their being the most -made. I think it's Old Codger who has an old post about the 49ers. It looks like the date mark for 1973 was a flaming baseball, or perhaps a stylized forge fire-bowl. But he doesn't know the rest of them either. We know they did at least two years with a date stamp.
THe flaw in that knife must be pretty subtle- looks good to me.

The knives from my spring fling of knife-buying arrived at the end of last week. This is the only one I've photographed so far, mainly because it's so big (4 5/8" closed instead of 3 5/8" for a normal canoe, 0.65 lbs instead of 0.2 lbs), bad (spear/sheepsfoot/spey instead of spear/pen on normal canoe), and blingy (black lip pearl, filework on springs and blade spines, mirror polished everywhere) that I can't help but grin at its excess each time I see it. Rough Rider gunboat:
pearl.mark.closed.bath.jpg pearl.pile.closed.bath.jpg
pearl.mark.3open horiz.stand.jpg
pearl.springs.filework.jpg
pearl.spines.filework.jpg

- GT

sb4TGWB.jpg
quSMvqz.jpg
oQzK4N6.jpg

Went to a new indoor flea market, slim pick'n on knives though. Did pick up a Imperial Frontier there though, still with factory edges. Then stopped by a army surplus place on the way home, and in a case full of new high zoot tactical fixed and folders was a box with mostly Pakistani and the bad Chinese stuff. But one thing in that box grabbed my eye immediately, a big brown delrin hawkbill. Opened it to reveal a completely unused Queen. If you look close you can see polishing compound in the lanyard hole. Some tiny pepper spots and a thumb print on the pile side leads me to believe its carbon steel.

You know, I think that old Queen Hawk might just about be pinch-able;):D

Excellent finds there :thumbsup::cool:

This little beauty showed up today. It started life as a Radio Jack, then had the cap lifter deleted (sacrilege to some of you, I'm sure) , and now it's my perfect #15. I always wanted a single blade #15 with end caps and a shield. I'd like to thank @jsdistin for thinking of me and giving me a killer deal on it. :cool: :thumbsup:

Back