Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

@duckchildress
Just snagged this one off the Exchange, Wayne's photo. I love the Nessmuk style and his stories. This might be a gift for my youngest son. He and his young family spend a lot of time in the Adirondacks, as I did when younger.
MmIGduO.jpg

Wow! As a fan of this pattern I just gotta get me one of these,especially now that they can be had in carbon steel. I like the double pulls and swedges,thanks for posting it GT,although I didn't think you was a BIG knife fano_O:thumbsup:
Glad you like it, David; as with almost all of my Rough Riders, my first impression is that it's a solid. well-made knife. I always find it interesting that folks react so differently to the same knife. ;) I DON'T really like the double pulls, and I can take or leave swedges; it also has half-stops, a feature I like less the bigger the knife, I think. But @Old Engineer and @Duckdog both advised that every self-respecting fan of traditional folders should have at least one folding hunter. And I've been very pleased with all 3 RR carbon steel pattern I currently have.

You're right that I'm not a huge fan of BIG knives, but it's all kind of subjective. :rolleyes: In principle, I'm kind of prejudiced against any knife that's at least 4" long, closed. But there are lots of other factors that come into play. I've discovered I'm not a full-size trapper fan, maybe because I don't like TWO long blades. But I like a Case slimline trapper with just a single blade (although I also have a bias against single-blade knives, in theory :confused:). And I LOVE 4"+ toothpicks with a long slender clip and a smaller secondary. I also don't usually wear a belt sheath, so that makes carrying BIG knives more of a challenge; on the other hand, I almost always wear carpenter pants, and a big knife rides like a dream in the tool pocket on the right leg. :thumbsup::cool: Life is complicated, man!! :eek::D

- GT

Last edited:
@duckchildress
Just snagged this one off the Exchange, Wayne's photo. I love the Nessmuk style and his stories. This might be a gift for my youngest son. He and his young family spend a lot of time in the Adirondacks, as I did when younger.
MmIGduO.jpg

I don’t know anything about his knife or stories, but that might have to change! That is a good looking knife:thumbsup:

Extension of my Mail Call post from yesterday. And further proof I married way over my head. My Father's Day gift. 2007 GEC #73EC in snakewood. Unused, never carried. Serialized 051 of 150. Going to post a couple of other photos with questions in the "Let's Talk GEC" thread. If you click the photo it will take you to Flickr, where you can enlarge photo for more detail.

DSC_0006 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

003 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

004 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

Picked up a Rough Rider brown bone large cotton sampler this morning. Out of the box it has different colored scales on each side, one side a dark brown and on the other side a burnt orange color which looks fantastic. Initially i was disappointed, would have loved them to be both the burnt orange color. But after looking at it for a while, i really like the different color contrasts, it is sort of having the best of both worlds. I read an article ages ago about the early production of knives, and when they used stag for the scales, quite often they did not match even if they came from the same antlers and this gave them their uniqueness and character, and now i can see why. Really like my latest purchase and was sharp out the box, gave it a strop on some .05 diamond paste, then finished on smooth leather, it is razor sharp now. I know that Chinese produced knives are not for everyone and i fully except this, but value for money Rough Riders are fantastic value for money. If anyone is thinking of getting the large cotton sampler definately look at the smooth brown bone, very happy with mine. If i was computer literate i would post a photo, but that is well beyond my capabilities. Have a good weekend everyone.

Back