1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chapp, Jan 26, 2019.

1. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Short and to the point. I couldn't agree more. Besides, Nick's accent sounds like most of the people I grew up with. :)

n2s

Bill_Mead likes this.
  2. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Don't get all soft on us now, batman. ;)

3. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Nick Shabazz is awesome! :D

Great reviews and disassembly. Though some of his subjective tastes are different from my own, it's refreshing and wonderful to hear another opinion.

4. Lateck

Lateck

Dec 16, 2017
    Love his reviews even if I disagree.
    (Many folks like larger blades).

5. vanadium

vanadium

Apr 5, 2003
    I carry a lot of oversized folders, but I never found Nick to be "afraid" of any knives on his channel. If you think knives are generally for stabbing, I'd be really interested to hear your use case. In my experience, stabbing (piercing cuts) is the least common and least appropriate application of a folding knife.

ucfgrad93, Dr Blazer, cbrstar and 3 others like this.
  6. b00n

b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    Stabby/Piercing/Pointy blades were useful in my prior work place (not for me personally) but basically every industry that uses bags. The two I can think off are (Industrial) Bakeries and Plastic Product Producers, simply because Flour and Plastic Granulate arrives in Bags, you cut them and dump the stuff into whatever machine that needs to be fed with it. But I agree, it's very specialized and 95% of the people with a pocket knife don't need something that it super pointy to pierce a ton of stuff every day and most of those tasks can be done with practically any reasonably pointy blade.

razor-edge-knives and RBid like this.
  7. falar

falar

Jul 7, 2012
    He describes them as scary, in a scared voice.

I think a good knife is useful in cutting AND stabbing ability. But again, it seemed to me that he used the word as an adjective to describe any "aggressive" looking knife and not as a result of how it actually performed in any stabbing tests done.

8. vanadium

vanadium

Apr 5, 2003
    Sounds like his style of comedy just isn't for you.

9. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I like "stabby" knives.

They are the type that I usually carry and I am carrying a very "stabby" 4.5" bladed CRKT Otanashi Noh Ken today that you can see here. :)

Night Rider likes this.
  10. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    He is one of the reviews whos opinion I do value. Most knives he likes I do as well so I will check his channel before buying to see if he has done a review.

11. cbrstar

cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    My Dad used to joke "Its the guy who wants to stab you with a butter knife because it hurts more. That you need to be afraid of" lol

The whole "stabby" thing is really going to depend on where you live. One hand you may live somewhere in the world that you need a intimidating looking knife, and its perfectly ok to own one.
    Where as you may live somewhere like me and you have to be able to convince the cop that it's not a weapon, it's a tool. Its gonna be pretty tough to convince them your Rambo knife is used to open boxes.

Also if you actually had to use your knife for SD...Don't rule out that if your knife looks too "stabby" the cops will use that against you claiming that you had some weird fantasy about stabbing someone.

12. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Probably one could get a slot of a known width (and quite thin) cut in the end of a steel ruler, and then measure how deep a blade sits in the slot.

Insipid Moniker and orangejoe35 like this.
  13. Browning 35

Browning 35

Jul 10, 2008
    Generally seems like a nice guy, but tempered with the fact that he doesn't like knives >3 inches and that he's kind of whiny (then again IIRC he's from New York, maybe that's just the accent).

14. b00n

b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    He was in Michigan, now resides in California.

15. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I like Nick , warts and all...…… He has a good presentation style; knows the item he is discussing and keeps the program moving along...… Other You-Tubers that take 10 minutes to give you 2 minutes of content drive me nuts...…. I don't think Nick would BS you into buying something that he, himself, didn't believe in...…… So, I like Nick and would like to maybe someday meet him...…..He seems like a genuinely nice guy...…..

RBid likes this.
  16. b00n

b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    Use the Signal and he'll come running:
    [​IMG]

sliceofaloha, pinnah, palonej and 7 others like this.
  17. NickShabazz

NickShabazz

Aug 10, 2014
    OK, this is amazing. Did you make it? Can I post this on Instagram?

18. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    He speaks with a funny accent, wonder what country he grew up in?

19. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    Add in sniffing loudly every other breath, talking about knife dimensions as a wannabe machinist, mixed with a somewhat sanctimonious attitude and you have apostlep.

palonej and Pomsbz like this.
  20. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    Ah...so you're Batman...