Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

Add in sniffing loudly every other breath, talking about knife dimensions as a wannabe machinist, mixed with a somewhat sanctimonious attitude...

Everybody's got preferences, and to be fair, I also talk about knife dimensions like a wannabe machinist and am quite regularly sanctimonious. So, no sense piling on to somebody else. Not defending, just hoping the thread doesn't take that turn.

Ah...so you're Batman...

NO. That is an untruth. I am in no way, shape, or form Batman. And the fact that you've never seen me in the same room as Batman is poor evidence at best. Not Batman at all. Nope. Not one bit.

Here is an example :
I am trying to learn more about the Kershaw Chill (not because I am a cheep skate / because I think the design of the knife is pretty good). I watched an entertaining vid with two lovely people playing off one another. Got off topic a little onto the Skyline; basically said the Skyline was a hopeless case for twice the price of the Chill.
They didn't mention many things that Mr Shabazz did in his vid about the Skyline.

I stumbled onto the vide of Nick and the Skyline so figured what the heck I don't know about the Skyline (I'm not drawn to it and he confirmed my fears of the skinny but end of the handle causing loss of control in the palm but that's not what I want to emphasize here) . . . I watched his vid and in no time he has enlightened me about a number of key things about the knife that the previous duo were oblivious about :
  • Made in America (why it costs more and may be worth more to some of us)
  • The sucky action is tunable and he demonstrated how great it is after a little attention (people tune musical instruments why would the duo assume nothing can be done for a knife pivot).
  • The Skyline's blade is exceptionally thin and effective at cutting because it is thin behind the edge due to the hollow grind.
Part of the reason I have never even considered considering the Skyline is the blade looks like a thickish tactical blade. I was wrong. I love it when I'm wrong !

Nick YOU ARE a gem !

Sure I'm buttering you up bro.
Yes I want something.
Just for me. (I'm your biggest fan. Yes I am . . . yes I am . . . no I am)
(you don't believe me :()
Didn't I tell you he's a smart guy !

OK . . . ok . . . here's the shpiel :
Please review the Kershaw Chill because . . .
. . .
well . . . I think it has potential.

Not much of a pitch. OK . . . better handle shape than the Slyliine, better action (in the one I handled) blade shape not wide / tactical but more Genteeeeel (think letter opener), pocket clip bare metal . . . NO UGLY GLARING LOGO you want to scrape the paint off of . . . huh ? huh ? got you on that one didn't I !

Did you look at it and eliminate it in the world's greatest EDC of all time contest ? I don't recall; that's been a while.
For me Nick . . . for me . . .
Hey will somebody send Nick a Kershaw Chill to review ?
You're great !
Your're all great !
:) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nick you made me LOl and wake up my wife at 3 minutes on this Vid, Thanks :mad:. Keep doing what you do the way you do it Nick.

that stop pin is free floating? I just disassembled mine and noticed it could be pushed out with finger power.

I find his videos interesting and like the style of his format on his reviews. His voice is very original and fitting.
Keep up the good work!

Isn't a hawkbill a recurve?

Recurves have a mild "S" shape:
https://www.knivesshipfree.com/knife-knowledge/faq-what-are-the-advantages-of-a-recurve-edge/

Hawk bills are a "C" or claw:
http://faq.customtacticals.com/geometry/shape_hawkbill.php

Functionally they can differ pretty significantly depending on the application.

You can have a combination of them, like in the Spyderco Civilian or Matriarch, but that variation (like a reverse recurve - S vs Ƨ) is much less common.

Last edited:
The good:

-great voice: Funny but not annoying and easy to understand for a foreigner
-he has clean hands when reviewing. Maybe he should make a hand washing and basic manicure tutorial for other knife reviewers. ;)
-I don't think he is bribable. There is this "the full disclosure" thingy but first and foremost I think that his enthusiasm for knives is real. I just cannot imagine him advertising a shitty knife as being great.
-his reviews have a clear structure and are therefore objective to some degree
-he knows a lot about knives

The bad:

-as a guy from a moderately knife hating European country I sometimes miss a bit empathy and understanding for our situation, especially in older videos. I get that one hand opening locking blades are superior to everything else but since my homeland virtually restricts us to carry slipjoints or two hand opening knives I am extremely thankful for every knife released that I could carry with no modifications. Having a knife with great action is super cool but being allowed to carry a knife is inevitable IMO - I like to use my knives.
-also as an European knife nut I cannot help but realize that Nick is a bit too patriotic for my taste at times. I wish he'd review more Italian blades e.g. but I totally get that he probably already has enough interesting knives on his to do list and that his audience is also primarily American. ;)
-at times he attaches too much value at a knife's steel when he should address the blade's geometry more
-I am not that watch crazy. I like mechanic watches and wear one daily, I own several - I just don't think the much about them. So his shift to watches is kinda unnecessary IMO.

The ugly:

-I thought about it but there isn't any ugly I can think of.

Conclusion:

He is the the only guy I subscribed to on youtube for a reason: He is a gem. ;)

Everybody's got preferences, and to be fair, I also talk about knife dimensions like a wannabe machinist and am quite regularly sanctimonious. So, no sense piling on to somebody else. Not defending, just hoping the thread doesn't take that turn.

NO. That is an untruth. I am in no way, shape, or form Batman. And the fact that you've never seen me in the same room as Batman is poor evidence at best. Not Batman at all. Nope. Not one bit.
*HOICK! ACHHHH! ACHUHMMMM!* Well, I’d agree... *ACHUHMMMM!* ...with your sentiment there, Nick. *HOICK! ACHUHMMM!*

Hah, thanks for the kind words, Nico! Three quick responses:

-as a guy from a moderately knife hating European country I sometimes miss a bit empathy and understanding for our situation, especially in older videos. I get that one hand opening locking blades are superior to everything else but since my homeland virtually restricts us to carry slipjoints or two hand opening knives I am extremely thankful for every knife released that I could carry with no modifications. Having a knife with great action is super cool but being allowed to carry a knife is inevitable IMO - I like to use my knives.

Yeah, this is something I've gained more sympathy for over time. And I'm doing my best to look now at slippies. But I also have to review in my own context, and a knife that's designed for a restrictive set of laws might be a gem there, but might feel pretty lacking if you've got a wider set of options. The empathy is there, but I have to come from where I am, so to speak.

-also as an European knife nut I cannot help but realize that Nick is a bit too patriotic for my taste at times. I wish he'd review more Italian blades e.g. but I totally get that he probably already has enough interesting knives on his to do list and that his audience is also primarily American. ;)

It's absolutely true that my audience is mostly American, but I really hope I'm not coming across as being a "American knives are the only good knives" sort of guy. I try to keep an open mind, and very firmly believe that although I don't mind supporting folks from my home country, quality is about effort, not geography. But honestly, I just haven't been as impressed with Italian makers lately. Fox does nice work, but many of the other makers seem to have QC and detent issues (Viper), or crazy thick grinds (Lionsteel and Viper). I'd love to be blown away, but I've had too many so-so knives from the major Italian companies, even on great designs (Giant Mouse or Anso Orso), so I've been pretty reluctant to put down the cash. Any companies you can recommend that are really cranking out gems that I might be missing?

-I am not that watch crazy. I like mechanic watches and wear one daily, I own several - I just don't think the much about them. So his shift to watches is kinda unnecessary IMO.

GOOD. DO NOT GET INTO WATCHES. :D

Hah, thanks for the kind words, Nico! Three quick responses: [...]
It's absolutely true that my audience is mostly American, but I really hope I'm not coming across as being a "American knives are the only good knives" sort of guy. I try to keep an open mind, and very firmly believe that although I don't mind supporting folks from my home country, quality is about effort, not geography. But honestly, I just haven't been as impressed with Italian makers lately. Fox does nice work, but many of the other makers seem to have QC and detent issues (Viper), or crazy thick grinds (Lionsteel and Viper). I'd love to be blown away, but I've had too many so-so knives from the major Italian companies, even on great designs (Giant Mouse or Anso Orso), so I've been pretty reluctant to put down the cash. Any companies you can recommend that are really cranking out gems that I might be missing

No problem. ;)

I think it might be worth to check out some of the new MKM knives since they won Cooperation of the year at Blade last year and reviews have been promising so far.

Other than that I have some ideas:

1. Lionsteel KUR.

tSWDvgZl.jpg

The image shows a "KUR Wood" with added clip, but I think the original KUR is farout better to disassemble: Flat ground, slightly thinner blade makes this a much better slicer than the SR-1. It probably is my favorite Molletta designed Lionsteel knife.

2. Lionsteel TS-1 TiSpine
I never handled one but apparently it was designed by the DPx guy and I wonder why it isn't more popular. Looks slicey?!

3. Lionsteel Big Daghetta.

AEIBtKMl.jpg

The Lionsteel Big Daghetta is a design by MAX (Massimo Salice Sanna). Some people called it an "Italien Valet" but while the knives have some similarities they were developed independently at roughly the same time. Note: That isn't an AXIS Lock but a Lionsteel TOL (Tactical Operation Lock). A bit murdery but I used the black G10 one as my EDC for quite some time and it did a good job. Blade and grind behind the edge is relatively thin but ofc the spear point blade prevents it from being a great slicer. I just love how the titanium version feels in hand.

4. Lionsteel Mini

94Gbf6Pl.jpg

Picture shows my older front flipper only version without thumbstud. The proof that Lionsteel can make incredible slicey blades...

5. Bastinelli Dragotac Compact

PDLXZSol.jpg

Don't let the name fool you, this knife isn't small. It's also a bit murdery but a good thin slicer and a perfect foldable kitchen knife. This ancient first version of the Dragotac Compact features a lot of stuff in the bad / ugly department as well (e.g. AFAIK there were virtually no knives from the first run that had a centered blade because the lock bar presses down on it in closed state). But since Bastien Cove (Bastinelli) improves his designs it might be interesting to take a look at a recently produced Dragotac. He also has other knives that might be worth a look as well. :)

6. Atelier Perceval Le Francais

HNxUpBQl.jpg

A modern french gentlemen folder. Great slicer with great finish. Under the scales are more screws so you can disassemble it.

7. Extrema Ratio BF2-Series

dWBhrPpl.jpg

I'd really love to see a Nick Shabazz review of the BF2-R (the one on top) or BF-2 (second from top). Extrema Ratio is pretty much the Italian Emerson Knives: A lot of professionals carry them and love them. There also is a huge number of collectors that love them. But at the same time a lot of people just hate them or at least think that they are outdated and overpriced.
One of the classic Extrema Ratio designs is the BF2. IMO it still is very interesting, because I never know if someone likes it or not. I somehow became a fan, but still see the problems they have and therefore won't necessarily call them a gem by objective standards. They are the equivalent of owning an Italian 1980s supercar. They are somewhat great: Relatively thin grind (BF-2), super deep carry clip, good ergonomics, probably best coating of all knives, great reliability, great quality control, available in a lot of variations. And yet at the same time they made some really questionable choices: lack of choice of steels (all are N690), poor closed position stop pin placement (who'd think that the opening pin could double as the pin that prevents the blade from hitting the standoffs at the BF2? Why does it need to be this way when they managed to solve this problem in a propper way at the very similar BF2-R?), questionable innovations (razor style front flipper opening at the BF2-R).

Hah, thanks for the kind words, Nico! Three quick responses:

Yeah, this is something I've gained more sympathy for over time. And I'm doing my best to look now at slippies. But I also have to review in my own context, and a knife that's designed for a restrictive set of laws might be a gem there, but might feel pretty lacking if you've got a wider set of options. The empathy is there, but I have to come from where I am, so to speak.

It's absolutely true that my audience is mostly American, but I really hope I'm not coming across as being a "American knives are the only good knives" sort of guy. I try to keep an open mind, and very firmly believe that although I don't mind supporting folks from my home country, quality is about effort, not geography. But honestly, I just haven't been as impressed with Italian makers lately. Fox does nice work, but many of the other makers seem to have QC and detent issues (Viper), or crazy thick grinds (Lionsteel and Viper). I'd love to be blown away, but I've had too many so-so knives from the major Italian companies, even on great designs (Giant Mouse or Anso Orso), so I've been pretty reluctant to put down the cash. Any companies you can recommend that are really cranking out gems that I might be missing?

GOOD. DO NOT GET INTO WATCHES. :D

I very much enjoy your watch reviews please keep them coming

Back