Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

Wow. I was on this thread early on, it seemed pretty normal, and I came back to it just now and wow....some really crazy stuff on here.....lol There are some pretty nasty things being said and some nice support too. Just another day on the internet I guess.
I have issues with Nick too, since we lead very different lives and therefore use very different knives. Sometimes I wonder if all he does with a knife is cut apples. He admits that knives are "man jewlery" to him but theyre still just a tool to many of us. My other problem is that hes a fanboy of certain things. Many knives he reviews he will nitpick them to death and complain about the price, but if that same knife had a funny looking tick/spyder on the blade instead of, say, a butterfly for instance, he would like it more. Just my impression. On that note, Ive seen him complain a good deal about Benchmade pricing...and then turn around and talk about how Spyderco is a real value when they also have MAP pricing and have increased dramatically over the years!
Now, for the constructive part here. To fix the first issue: maybe Nick could try to give review knives more of a workout. Im not sure how he tests but maybe he try to put a little more stress on knives. Im not saying make a Cold Steel proof video, but maybe do more than carry it and cut apples and mail. Thats important, but there are people who dont work in a city office too...
To fix the second issue: maybe he can try to be more impartial. Its easy to be biased. It happens. But one can always try to improve.
All that said, Im a fan! :) I like Nicks videos, and theres no need to be a jerk to him here people. On the other hand, constructive critisism is a good thing. To Nick: keep up the good work man! I love the humor in your videos, and you have a great attitude and outlook on life. Also, your bad knives series is just great.

My opinion of Nick shabazz might be different than others. So here goes first off I think he is a coward! The way he hides his identity. I mean come on what grown man would wear a Batman mask in his own house while rambling on and on and on about knives?
Let's be honest were taking advice on a knife from and 140 pound weakling who never cuts anything more than a piece of paper at the office! Then he will criticize top makers like Chris Reese, Rick Hinderer, Jake Hoback. Hell maybe there knives are made for a little more than paper!
I'd like to see Nick turned loose in a machine shop all by himself and see the knife he would produce... My guess is it wouldn't be a gem.. Until he man's up and starts using a knife and quits hiding I'm out...

What was your last user name here? Because this sounds familiar.

Does anyone really know Nick other than his screen name? I mean what does he work at or does he work at all? I know some of you really drink his Kool aid. He is doing good with the YouTube channel, getting good money of the pateron.
But has he proven that the money from sales is really being donated to charity? Or is he taking you for a ride. Jim Jones had some tasty Kool aid too. I don't think Nick is trying to scam anyone, but does anyone really know anything about him?

Because people don't have a problem with him in the way that you do, they're "drinking the kool aid"? How old are you?

I'd like to see Nick turned loose in a machine shop all by himself and see the knife he would produce... My guess is it wouldn't be a gem..
I always love when people use this rationale as a rebuff to someone's review.

Nick doesn't need to be a chef to tell you your steak is tough. He doesn't need to be a certified ASE auto mechanic to tell you that your car isn't running right. He doesn't need to be a carpenter to tell you that the roof leaks.

And he doesn't need to be a machinist to tell you that a blade isn't centered and the grind is uneven.

Nick's taste and mine don't exactly jive, but I appreciate what he's doing. He's doing more for the knife community than I am, fer sher.

I'm a Christian. And honestly I think it's pretty weird to put a Bible verse on a knife...Especially if the knife can be used as a weapon eg https://jakehobackknives.com/products/karamback

IMHO it's almost trying to twist things to be like Pulp Fiction but you only know one Bible verse from going to hockey games lol

maxresdefault.jpg

I watched the Nick review on the HobackSnex and honestly in this Christians opinion what Nick said was more then fair. He didn't say anything neg about Christianity he just said he wished it was an option. To me there is a time and place for everything and maybe a knife isn't the best medium for that message. For many people it would be just as weird as buying a car and having a Bible verse across the dash that referenced safety lol. If you like/want that sort of thing it should be a custom option like Nick suggests.

Nick when ever you create art you will get a sea of negative covetous people that will try to bring you down because you are doing something they only wish they had the ability to. Keep your chin up, you're awesome and your vids are great.

His videos are entertaining even if he does sound like a used car salesman from Queens.

My opinion of Nick shabazz might be different than others. So here goes first off I think he is a coward! The way he hides his identity. I mean come on what grown man would wear a Batman mask in his own house while rambling on and on and on about knives?
Let's be honest were taking advice on a knife from and 140 pound weakling who never cuts anything more than a piece of paper at the office! Then he will criticize top makers like Chris Reese, Rick Hinderer, Jake Hoback. Hell maybe there knives are made for a little more than paper!
I'd like to see Nick turned loose in a machine shop all by himself and see the knife he would produce... My guess is it wouldn't be a gem.. Until he man's up and starts using a knife and quits hiding I'm out...

reported for personal attack

Does anyone really know Nick other than his screen name? I mean what does he work at or does he work at all? I know some of you really drink his Kool aid. He is doing good with the YouTube channel, getting good money of the pateron.
But has he proven that the money from sales is really being donated to charity? Or is he taking you for a ride. Jim Jones had some tasty Kool aid too. I don't think Nick is trying to scam anyone, but does anyone really know anything about him?

2 of your 3 posts are sharing your negative opinion on another. Sure, that is just your opinion, but it pretty much holds zero water since you are also cowardly hiding behind your screen name. Since that clearly matters to you, don't be hypocritical. Share your full name, location, occupation, and picture so we can take your opinions seriously.*

He's a Youtuber. He is not your neighbor, your sheriff, your insurance agent, a politician, your doctor or dentist, business partner, potential client, etc. You don't need to see his face or know that to enjoy the content. You don't even need to pay to enjoy his content. YouTube is FREE! If that stuff still matters to you, then that is your prerogative. If you don't like his content, go elsewhere.

For the record, I watch YouTube but haven't watched knife reviews in years as I have no real use for them. I may have seen his in the past but don't recall. Based on his demeanor here though, I would definitely give him a go if I were inclined. He seems like another dude that has a passion for this hobby and has the means to share his thoughts in a more visual medium.

*I was being facetious for effect. Don't do that unless you want to. We're all allowed our privacy to whatever degree we desire. I respect the opinion of many here and have only seen one in person (my brother, if that counts:rolleyes::D) and a handful more in pictures. It was nice to put a face to a name, but that did not affect my opinion of them.** That was earned by my interactions with them and gleaning their character through their posts on the forum.

**Ok, I lied there. Some of them have quite envious beards, the lucky bastards. :p

Last edited:

Duplicate accounts are prohibited. This one is being removed. You will have to man up and try trolling under your own account. Trust me. That won't fly far either.

Nick’s alright by me. Don’t like em don’t watch em. That’s all I have to say.

2 of your 3 posts are sharing your negative opinion on another. Sure, that is just your opinion, but it pretty much holds zero water since you are also cowardly hiding behind your screen name. Since that clearly matters to you, don't be hypocritical. Share your full name, location, occupation, and picture so we can take your opinions seriously.*

He's a Youtuber. He is not your neighbor, your sheriff, your insurance agent, a politician, your doctor or dentist, business partner, potential client, etc. You don't need to see his face or know that to enjoy the content. You don't even need to pay to enjoy his content. YouTube is FREE! If that stuff still matters to you, then that is your prerogative. If you don't like his content, go elsewhere.

For the record, I watch YouTube but haven't watched knife reviews in years as I have no real use for them. I may have seen his in the past but don't recall. Based on his demeanor here though, I would definitely give him a go if I were inclined. He seems like another dude that has a passion for this hobby and has the means to share his thoughts in a more visual medium.

*I was being facetious for effect. Don't do that unless you want to. We're all allowed our privacy to whatever degree we desire. I respect the opinion of many here and have only seen one in person (my brother, if that counts:rolleyes::D) and a handful more in pictures. It was nice to put a face to a name, but that did not affect my opinion of them.** That was earned by my interactions with them and gleaning their character through their posts on the forum.

**Ok, I lied there. Some of them have quite envious beards, the lucky bastards. :p

Reported for beard envy!!! A very serious offense that will be dealt with swiftly and harshly!!
:D:p

Although I'm a bit reluctant to engage with trolls, one thing I should highlight: Every charitable fundraiser I've done has been done such that people donate *directly* to a local domestic violence shelter to enter, and then send me proof, such that it is literally impossible for me to 'steal the charity money'. I then ship the items to the winners at my own cost. I've also personally donated over $1000 to local shelters from the channel (although you don't have to believe me), and $250 to a local (well, in Michigan) animal shelter.

Sorry to hear that you're not a fan, and you can call me a coward all you'd like for keeping my work and YouTube life separate. When you make your own channel, you can make your own choices.

Thanks, of course, to everybody who's stepped up to support me here. Again, a couple of haters aside, this thread has been a beautiful thing.

Although I'm a bit reluctant to engage with trolls, one thing I should highlight: Every charitable fundraiser I've done has been done such that people donate *directly* to a local domestic violence shelter to enter, and then send me proof, such that it is literally impossible for me to 'steal the charity money'. I then ship the items to the winners at my own cost. I've also personally donated over $1000 to local shelters from the channel (although you don't have to believe me), and $250 to a local (well, in Michigan) animal shelter.

Sorry to hear that you're not a fan, and you can call me a coward all you'd like for keeping my work and YouTube life separate. When you make your own channel, you can make your own choices.

Thanks, of course, to everybody who's stepped up to support me here. Again, a couple of haters aside, this thread has been a beautiful thing.
I've never seen the charitable fundraisers (don't pay that much attention) but that's an awesome way to do it. I'm quite happy that this thread exists, as the more I find out about your channel and how you conduct yourself, the happier I am that you're a member here.

As one who enjoys a lot of Youtube knife content, including NickShabazz NickShabazz 's channel, and likewise enjoys the conversation here, I see this thread as a good example of bridgebuilding. There should definitely be more conversations and exchanges like this. :thumbsup:

I watch Nick's reviews and disassembly clips on YouTube.... He's entertaining and reminds me of the "Jerky Boys".

Undiscussed thus far:

He responded to trolling by starting a charity drive.

Let that sink in.

I don’t think people understand how difficult it is as a human being, and therefore a creature contending with ego, to consistently respond to negativity and challenge with class and positivity. While anyone may disagree with his taste or opinions, it would be a tough sell to challenge him on grounds of conduct or character. He’s having a very real positive impact beyond the knife community by leveraging his reach for good causes. That is commendable.

Well said RBid...... I saw the Charity drive and it's a great cause. Those that have never participated in activities like that
are sometimes quick to dismiss the amount of work that goes into it. Time isn't free.

My recent opinion is very much like my first impression. Id gladly spend an afternoon over a beverage or two discussing knives and knife trends, a few laughs in some vintage east coast pub. I once had a coworker with a thick New Jersey accent and his demeanor was a joy to be around for a girl raised in a Scotch-English family.

After all most reviews are just opinions, right?

Regardless of what you think of Nick Shabazz, there are now 280 posts on a Bladeforums thread specifically about him. So love him, or hate him, you know about him and care enough to comment.

That is: winning...

Back