Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

Nick . . . tell me it isn't true.
You have never reviewed the Spyderco Pattada ? ! ?
Whatareyoufrigginuts ?
or
maybe I am.
Sure it has a needle like tip that can't be used to pry apart brick walls during that home remodel.
Do you do that; neither do I; though I once took a cinderblock wall apart in a small area with a good size hammer drill but now I get out there in another galaxy.

You liked the Shaman; the Pattada handle is (?maybe?) even better.
You liked the tip and the thinness of the blade on the Para2; the Pattada is even MORE.
You like pocket friendly; for a thick handled knife the Pattada is still pretty pocket friendly (can get the hand past the smooth narrow handle).
You like good steel; the N690 is no slouch.

Why O' why then is there no (?) Nick Shabazz Pattada review ? ? ?
I went looking for the Pattada review and came across . . .
I had forgotten what a great job you did getting the Nirvana reground !
Good going :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I almost posted that vid in the "Who regrinds high end knives; that's just not done; who are you to suggest that" thread but I may as well let sleeping dinosaurs lie.

Pattada Nick ?

Last edited:
What’s not to like about a guy that sounds like Timon (meerkat that hangs out with the warthog) from the Lion King reviewing knives and other EDC gear?!?!

I think he’s very entertaining. Don’t always agree with him, but he does a great job overall.

He loses me when he says the Grimsmo Norseman (holy crap what a fugly knife!) is a beautiful knife, but other than that he’s usually pretty spot on.

Can't stand the guy's accent, but his content is good and his disassembly vids help a lot of folks out there. He doesn't melt down with criticism either.

I found out from Nick's reviews that all knives are "very interesting." ;-)
Interesting is a great word for reviews and critiques. One of my students hands in a horrible painting or sculpture and I can start the critique with “interesting.” Another student turns in an outstanding piece of work and I can also start the critique with “interesting.” They can usually tell what I mean by the tone of my voice or the look of horror in my eyes. ;)

Can't stand the guy's accent, but his content is good and his disassembly vids help a lot of folks out there. He doesn't melt down with criticism either.
His accent and delivery has changed over time. My guess is he has no accent. He’s basically created an online character that’s either entertaining or annoying to you. I don’t think we ever will see his face or hear his real voice/accent.

I found out from Nick's reviews that all knives are "very interesting." ;-)

“Interesting” is subjective, and relative to the mind of the speaker. Of course, it may simply be the case that the word rolls out unbidden at this point. It’s really easy to develop word habits doing reviews.

Nick clearly has some words that roll out on their own, as we all do, but he’s also one of the more intentional and measured speakers in the YouTube knife community. While I may disagree with him at times, I can always understand the meaning and intent of what he’s saying. Effective communication is a big asset in this pursuit.

I don't watch his videos, they are a waste of time. I've seen some in the past and they were rather useless for me.

When I am interested in a knife I'll get it and review it myself. If it does not pass my review then it will be for sale in the Exchange.

I like his reviews and many other YT'ers reviews. The only issues that I have is that they sometimes sell me on a knife based on the quality of the knife vs how I actually use and carry knives in real life.

Still like his channel, hes taking less loaners these days which is sort of unfortunate cause i like to send him stuff. However the guy has a life thats not the channel and its important to not be consumed by something which is an easy spot for him to be in as the channel became far more popular than he imagined.

Im watching less of him for now as i cant really afford to watch all the great stuff and i have a handful of knives that are excellent that i do enjoy.

Nick's struck me as a good guy and a consistent person through the limited interaction of email and loaners. Hes at the very least very honest as hes had tens of thousands of dollars of gear loaned to him with no problems. Its nice to know someone i really dont know that i can casually send a $100-$1000 or more item to across the country and theres a kick seeing your item and being mentioned thats just pleasant

Does anyone else wonder what he looks like? I've seen a distorted reflection of his face here or there but nothing concrete. Given the distinctive voice, I can't help but wonder. I know he got married recently and has a day job, so kudos for putting out as much content as he does.

Does anyone else wonder what he looks like? I've seen a distorted reflection of his face here or there but nothing concrete. Given the distinctive voice, I can't help but wonder. I know he got married recently and has a day job, so kudos for putting out as much content as he does.

Does he amuse you?
joe-pesci-goodfellas-720x720.jpg

I don't watch his videos, they are a waste of time. I've seen some in the past and they were rather useless for me.

When I am interested in a knife I'll get it and review it myself. If it does not pass my review then it will be for sale in the Exchange.
Same here. Knife reviews in general are extremely poor and “unboxing” videos are just dumb. This reviewer seemed like a good guy but his needs and method of use are different than mine. IMO this accounts for the majority of legitimate arguments on which is better and is ultimately why these reviews are meaningless.

There can be some value in being able to properly size a knife in a video as photos aren’t great at that but that’s about it.

Same here. Knife reviews in general are extremely poor and “unboxing” videos are just dumb. This reviewer seemed like a good guy but his needs and method of use are different than mine. IMO this accounts for the majority of legitimate arguments on which is better and is ultimately why these reviews are meaningless.

There can be some value in being able to properly size a knife in a video as photos aren’t great at that but that’s about it.

Somewhere between channels like Nick's, the sharpening and rope-cutting shenanigans on Cedric and Ada, and more mixed stuff like Gideon's Tactical; you can get a good idea. I'll admit to abusing Amazon's return policy on knives a few times in the past but I'd rather not do it that way. When I can get a good idea about something from decently diverse reviews and/or asking questions here, it helps me to buy with confidence from a more preferred retailer.

If I had to guess what Nick looked like with his "bitch hands" and first generation New York Ashkenazi accent...it would be as per the you tube clip below. I absolutely think Nick is a true gem and my post is in the joking spirit.

Back