Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

I try to keep my cool, but sometimes, you have to push back on a comment. Here, you refer to me as a 'near full time fashion blogger'. Although I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a fashion blogger, I am nowhere near full time! I have a day job which I enjoy very much, thank you! :p

I agree completely, Pete of Cedric and Ada Gear and Outdoors is way better at this than I am. So is Advanced Knife Bro, for that matter. If you're reading this and not subscribed to them, you're missing out.

(Also, 'little backscratcher hands'!!! )

He peeped your flex son.

Last edited:
I like his videos. I am unsure why one wouldn’t like him.

I don't like his videos, I gave them a chance though. I watched a few of his reviews then realized his reviews are worthless to me because we see knives completely differently. He seems afraid of anything "stabby". WTF, that is what knives are FOR.

He also seemed to mention a lot "other people might be scared of xxx knife". Well, fuck those people. Who the fuck cares what someone else thinks?

"Murderyness"?? Another term that drove me nuts.

Last edited:
I haven't read through all 7 pages so if this was already covered please excuse me.

I am a big fan of Nick's videos. I am drawn to his content not entirely because of what he does, but by what he doesn't try to pretend to be. Not too long ago I was completely new to the knife game, and YouTube was a huge help in the beginning of my new addiction. If I saw a knife, and it tickled my pickle, I went and looked up reviews for it. But after some time I noticed some trends in the videos being brought up in the results. It seemed like a lot of the videos out there were being produced by these guys that thought they were the "Voice of Reason" in the EDC world. People who would make these 45 minute knife reviews, just going on and on about these super hypothetical and outlandish situations where this knife would make the difference between Life and a very slow and miserable death. All while boring footage of paper cut test, and various random cutting scenarios play in the background.

I like Nick's content because of how casual it is. People like to harp on him because he isn't slamming his knives through car hoods, but it would be safe to assume that the majority of knife carriers are light users. The man knows that this is a hobby and it doesn't need to be taken too seriously. The community is full of these die hard, tactic00l guys and it could paint the wrong image to the hobby to impressionable newcomers. I don't always agree with everything the man says, but if we were all the same what fun would the world be, right?

I don't like his videos, I gave them a chance though. I watched a few of his reviews then realized his reviews are worthless to me because we see knives completely differently. He seems afraid of anything "stabby". WTF, that is what knives are FOR.

He also seemed to mention a lot "other people might be scared of xxx knife". Well, fuck those people. Who the fuck cares what someone else thinks?

It's a matter of view point really. I disagree with a lot of his issues, so when he disagrees it's a plus for me.
- Too large for his hands -> Works fine for me
- Too much blade -> I like it
- Too "tactical" / "lunchroom inappropriate" -> It might very well be my style

As for the your last statement, yes I try not to care what people think but you don't want to be lumped into the attention grabber category either, the people who exercise their right just because they can no matter the optics, because those people cause legislation to change negatively more than positively. Yes I could legally carry a bandoleer with a dozen fixed blades, but people will look at it negatively, if I carry a smaller more concealed knife and be mindful about use nobody bats an eye. You want people to look favorably at knives, you don't want to scare the crap out of them just because you can. Common sense is the keyword. Just some food for thought in my opinion.

It's a matter of view point really. I disagree with a lot of his issues, so when he disagrees it's a plus for me.
- Too large for his hands -> Works fine for me
- Too much blade -> I like it
- Too "tactical" / "lunchroom inappropriate" -> It might very well be my style

As for the your last statement, yes I try not to care what people think but you don't want to be lumped into the attention grabber category either, the people who exercise their right just because they can no matter the optics, because those people cause legislation to change negatively more than positively. Yes I could legally carry a bandoleer with a dozen fixed blades, but people will look at it negatively, if I carry a smaller more concealed knife and be mindful about use nobody bats an eye. You want people to look favorably at knives, you don't want to scare the crap out of them just because you can. Common sense is the keyword. Just some food for thought in my opinion.

That comes down to behavior. Who goes to work playing "knife-hand" (think Bishop from Aliens) with a Kabar just because they can? Why would you play with your knife or otherwise draw attention to it?

Most of those are a moot point to me anyway as I live in West Texas and if you have a new knife or a gun everyone at work is going to demand to see it right away anyway. But I feel that any time spent worrying about what some sheep might think is time wasted. Don't let other people influence you or limit your freedom, at least that's how I see it.

I have seen his videos several times, and will admit that I look for his videos on certain interesting knives. His sense of humor is dry...and I enjoy it.

"Murderyness"?? Another term that drove me nuts.
Family friendly in GKD. Might want to check your language here.

I like that Nick doesn’t try to be something that he isn’t. In a world that can’t tolerate any criticism or the slightest bit of “disrespect” he seems easy going and humble. Regardless of his knife views, I believe he does contribute to the knife community.

I don't watch too many knife videos, but I occasionally watch some of Nick's. The way he does them is far more entertaining than most. Besides Nick, there was one other gentleman who did a video review of the Benchmade Bugout and posted it in the knife reviews forum a couple years back, (sorry, can't remember his name), but I really liked his review style, too.

The reason I don't watch many knife vids is because most of the ones posted on YouTube are all the same, and very few of the reviewers seem prepared to speak on-camera about their subject. They're often slow, boring, and full of dead time.

Sometimes, if I want an opinion about a certain knife, I'll check for a review by Nick. He's engaging and seems always ready to talk about the knife in question. I don't always have to agree with everything he says, but it's nice to hear his opinion about it. Plus, he seems like a good guy.

When I first saw one of Nick's videos, I had a mental image of a young Joe Pesci (no offense intended, Nick), but to me, Nick's voice is one of the things that makes his videos stand out. I don't need everybody's voice or accent to sound the same as mine.

Jim

Last edited:
He seems like an nice guy and his videos can be informative.

I don’t know how to say this without offending Nick but his taste in knives is a little betamale-ish. I guess it is similar to Ben from BladeHQ who prefers sub 3 inch blades. While I respect him for liking what he likes but how the heck do you cut anything with those tiny blades. My little 5’1” Asian wife carries a larger knife

I try to keep my cool, but sometimes, you have to push back on a comment. Here, you refer to me as a 'near full time fashion blogger'. Although I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a fashion blogger, I am nowhere near full time! I have a day job which I enjoy very much, thank you! :p

I agree completely, Pete of Cedric and Ada Gear and Outdoors is way better at this than I am. So is Advanced Knife Bro, for that matter. If you're reading this and not subscribed to them, you're missing out.

(Also, 'little backscratcher hands'!!! )

I read this post in your voice.

I don’t know how to say this without offending Nick but his taste in knives is a little betamale-ish. I guess it is similar to Ben from BladeHQ who prefers sub 3 inch blades. While I respect him for liking what he likes but how the heck do you cut anything with those tiny blades. My little 5’1” Asian wife carries a larger knife
I don't think you would offend Nick, or any of the rest of us who prefer 3"-4" blades and don't consider it to be evidence of our Alpha-ness or Beta-ness (whatever the Hell you think that means).

I don't think you would offend Nick, or any of the rest of us who prefer 3"-4" blades and don't consider it to be evidence of our Alpha-ness or Beta-ness (whatever the Hell you think that means).
I’m just being honest with my opinion and I’m far from a tacticool bro. Just can’t help to think he’s a bit fruity whenever he screechs at a knife...”So Murdery”

I dunno. Lots of men carry and use knives that have sub-3" blades and do fine with them. That doesn't make them any less of a man. My late dad (and MANY other older-generation men) carried pocketknives with mostly sub-3" blades (multi-blades), and he was blue-collar and used his knives at work harder than many (most?) tactical tough guys on the Internet. He certainly was not a ""beta male", whatever that's supposed to mean. Some guys can do surprising things with small blades, if they know how to use the blade. Outdoorsman Chuck Yeager often carried a Victorinox Executive SAK as his only knife, and its larger blade is well under 3".

I personally like all kinds of knives: folders from a small SAK on up to my Spyderco Military and Police. But a man's taste and choice in knives has no bearing on his manhood or the perception of it.

Jim

I’m just being honest with my opinion and I’m far from a tacticool bro. Just can’t help to think he’s a bit fruity whenever he screechs at a knife...”So Murdery”

Do you want to catch a red or yellow card and/or get this thread shut down? Because using garbage terminology like this is how you catch a red or yellow card and/or get this thread shut down.

If your job and life is in a city where knives you consider “alpha-maleish” will result in issues for you by carrying them, and you carry them anyway to your detriment that is the definition of BETA!!!

Basically if you need to carry your 12” Busse into the office and onto the city bus even though it has no utility there as part of your alpha identity then that is BETA!!! (Please read beta in the voice of a certain black radio host, if you know who I’m talking about I’ll leave it at that)

Back