Your regular EDC

I have a few knives that I seem to carry more than others. So, based upon that information, I would say my most common EDC carry is the pair of a full size Griptilian and a Victorinox Spartan. Although it is common for me to only carry one or the other.

The idea of a two knife carry system is nothing new but, I have never seen a need for it until recently.

A Cadet or Soldier/Pioneer could easily replace the Spartan but, there is very little in my collection that could replace the Griptilian.

Next to the Spartan and Grip, I would have to say the next three most popular knives for me are Benchmade’s 531, Kershaw’s US made Zing, and the always popular Cadet SAK. All three fit the roll of a dress, semi-dress knife nicely, IMHO.

My EDC is a Becker BK14.

Due to Germanys restrictive knife laws, I opted early for small fixed knife.

EDC.jpg

It rides comfortably in my right front pocket, cuts everything I throw at it. Such a versatile little big knife with a great blade shape and the 1095 is easy to manage:)
The above specimen was dlc'd by Josh from REK.

I actually have a bunch of 14s, many customized or beat up, but at any given day I have one with me, whatever I do.

for a long while now, it's been the $40 kershaw leek, 14c28n wonderful steel, more slicy than 99% of other blades and extremely small/lightweight & fits in your watch pocket and almost disappears

I own many more expensive knives, but the leek is my edc for these reasons
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2tlcnNoYXcvaW1hZ2VzLzE2NjBPTC5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDIyMCwiaGVpZ2h0IjogMjIwLCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

Unless I'm up to something that would favor a specific knife, I typically stay with one knife for longer periods of time.
It's partly laziness and partly the benefit of familiar handling.
For a long time it was the Benchmade bugout, but for the last month and, counting, it has been the Spyderco manbug salt.
I consider my EDC to be what I carry for work and other everyday tasks I have committed to, or the "fixed" part of my schedule.
On my own time, I'll carry whatever I find suitable to the activity. Lately it's been the Spyderco Native 5 salt that has occupied the knife pocket in my outdoor pants. And the Para 3 maxamet has been a pretty regular carry in my work pants, when doing maintenance and upgrades around the house.

As for other items:
Flashlights; Reylight pineapple mini titanium for EDC (just went missing, so switched to back to Prometheus / FourSevens Preon P1 Ti), Lumitop Tool 2.0 AA and Olight H1 Nova for outdoor, work etc.
Watches: I seem to have settled on rotating between Hamilton Khaki mechanical, Boldr Venture quartz, Helson shark diver Ti and a Greens Watch Service G10 pro diver. So much so, that I consider selling off everything else.

its been a spyderco meerkat and endura for a few months now....before that a shaman.....before that a native 5....might pick up an endela and swap the endura out...it always changes

I have all my folders in one box/pouch and before I leave home I open it and pick one depending on how I dressed that day (I don't carry Emersons while wearing a suit, for instance), what I feel like carrying or what I expect to do that day. So is not like I have one or two favourites that keep rotating.

Ok, not all of them are in that box/pouch, some live permanently in dedicated places such as backpacks or car seat pouches (Spyderco Rescue and Victorinox Rescue Tool).

Mikel

SAK rambler and CEK small inkosi.
Living in an urban area that is all what I really need
It is a small and light combo that nobody will be afraid of and the quality of these items is just excellent

I use my knives in a hobby farm setting, so (i think) I need a lot of them - when one goes dull I just grab another one and a third one - I like to sharpen in batches.

I prefer forward finger choils and back-locks over compression locks and I use only phosphor bronze folders as work EDC. I keep WEDC knives separate from the EDC ones because they look cheap and can get very dirty with their textured plastic handle materials. Not fit for social events.

My summer WEDC is about small and light knives I can clip to my bathers and shorts: Spyderco Natives with both serrated and plain edges and different steels (LC200N, Rex45, S35VN) a Para 3 in Maxamet, a Tasman Salt 2 SE in H1 and a small Steel Will Cutjack in D2.

Summer EDC for the village and the city: two Spyderco Chaparrals, Sage 5 CF, Böker Plus SubCom Ti/VG-10, Native 5 Fluted Ti.

Winter WEDC is about larger knives that work with gloves: Doug Ritter RSK (orange for snow), PM2 in S30V & Maxamet, Bradley Folder 2, Caribbean SF SE, Manix 2 S110V G10.

Winter EDC: Spyderco Swayback, SpydieChef, Ruike Hussar Ti, Böker Plus Urban Trapper Titanium.

I also have a Ruike 14C28N Hornet, a SwissCard and a Victorinox Spirit in my backpack. But it's not EDC, more like twice-a-month carry.

Hopefully, soon I will be adding a Satin/DigiCam Military, a Native Chief in Rex45, a Z-Wear Shaman and a Fluted CF Native 5 to the rotation.

I'll carry some type of knife for edc but don't think in terms of s.d. when carrying such. For the s.d. part I'll carry one of my handguns, in the winter it's a toss up between my CCO(first iteration) and my Taurus Tracker .44 mag and a folder of some type. That covers about anything I'll have to do in my daily routine. stay safe

CRK Umnumzaan tanto. Been 10 years and it's still going strong. Do I carry other knives? Yes. But the zaan is what I carry most. It can handle most anything thrown at it, still manages to be pretty slim in the pocket, and has a good handle design.

I have 8 dresser top boxes full and many others in drawers around the house. The one I always carry is a flat metal piece with a blade/bottle opener on one end and pry bar thingy on the other. It slides into my front pocket wallet. Now ain't that something.

At home: Buck 112FG and a Victorinox Fieldmaster.
Away from home: A Victorinox Minichamp and one of two others from my collection, most likely a Buck and/or a Case.

This is a very difficult question to answer because I like all my knives and there are different reasons to carry and the ones that actually get used to smesh things. Also there are factors like weight and overall practicality and ones that I are just joy to have in my pocket.

For self defence and when I travel to Brazil. It is a Emerson Commander.

Around the house it is a Benchmade 940 auto.

For lightweight carry, cheap, ease of sharpening and I don't give a rats a$$ what happens to it is a Cold Steel air light.

For those days I feel like a traditional pocket knife it is a Northfield Lambfoot.

For fidget tool and show off to non-knife people it is a Guardian Tactical OTF auto.

When I am surfing or at the beach it is a Spyderco serrated edge Salt 1 or Pacific SE Salt.

I do not have an exclusive/dedicated EDC.. some that skew toward more frequent carry due to favoritism are the Buck Vantage, Ontario Utiliac, crkt Pilar, Byrd meadowlark, and spyderco para 3.

Is there a knife that you have picked to be your regular edc? Like one you wouldn’t switch out for any other knife? And how did you settle on that particular one?
I wish I had the guts for it, but I don't.

Looking back on my years of collecting, if I had to pick just one, it would be my Victorinox Explorer; carried either in a belt pouch, hip pocket or bag.

I like to stash knives all over the place, or choose based on what I expect my day to look like, rather than try to carry one knife "to rule them all":
  • TRUE everyday carry: Victorinox Manager, on keys or in pocket
  • On handyman jobs: Explorer or Swisstool Spirit X in a belt pouch
  • Carried in bag carried every workday: Leatherman Charge Al or its modern replacement. (with bit set and extender)
  • Carried in car console: Victorinox Classic
  • Carried in car glove box: Leatherman Surge
  • Kitchen drawer: Victorinox Workchamp - It can handle a LOT of odd jobs around the house!
  • In the woods: A decent hatchet + preferably a Victorinox Trekker

Back