Photos Your very first knife vs your latest - Did your taste and style changed?

My dad used to play punch boards at the local tavern, was always winning a Schrade slip joint of some ilk. Think my first was one of those.

I can't pin it down in my brain, but I believe the first knife I bought with my own money was a Camillus Marine Combat knife at the surplus hut.

Last one I bought was a ProTech Runt. Neat little auto. Makes a great money clip.

My latest is an Arno Bernard Rinkhals

14a4327a-b4dd-4089-bebf-f2ebbd28c029-jpeg.1362184

Not to sidetrack, but that Arno looks exceptional!! Like a more classy CRK Impinda. I think I have to have one haha.

As to the thread, my first couple of pocket knives were small traditionals (can't recall brands), followed by Cold Steel and Spyderco back-locks.

My most recent is a custom by Cyril Kalisz:

dUSbamo.jpg

Like a more classy CRK Impinda.

If you liked the Impinda, you’ll absolutely fall in love with this one too. Fit and finish is on par with CRK, the only difference is they used a different steel and some more exotic inlay such as CF with snake skin, Giraffe bone, Abalone shell, Mammoth Molar or in this case, Warthog Tusk but they are a whole lot more just to name a few.

Kinda the whole point of this thread to point out that my taste got fancier from what i used to like back then in ‘04 when i got educated :D

My first was a blue Mora Scout, with a leather sheath, given to me by my granddad. I was maybe 8 or so.

But just recently my mom told me i learned to use a knife at age 4, and i do have some recallection of a small folding knife with some kind of pearl sides and maybe a nickel bolster. Ive must have been very young when i got that. Sadly both knifes and my granddad is gone.

One of my memorys of him was just with that blue knife, sharpening it for me on a grinding stone. That man really know what he was doing.. damn it was sharp. As my friend found out the hard way when he borrowed

My latest, but not last, hopefully, is a Fällkniven S1x.

The first knife I bought myself was a clip point Cold Steel Recon 1 in AUS-8.

The knife I bought myself yesterday was a Great Eastern Cutlery #23 Pioneer Trapper in Antique Autumn Natural Bone.

Both great but very different from one another.

I got my first knife in 1970; an Imperial Kamp King. I've lost my fair share of "stuff" over the years, but managed to hang onto this one. My last purchase was in 2014 a Case 6347 Stockman (SS). I've pretty much stayed with traditional knives for the 50 or so years that I've carried. I really don't collect, I just have a few that I use. Cheers!

Xh8vtfw.jpg

And this lockback was the first that I purchased with my own money. Hard earned paper route money no less. Was probably 11 or 12. The Precise Deerslayer Classic.

3CPeolc.jpg

IpbNIR5.jpg

I see you you haven't changed much in term of taste since you were 11. A refined taste a a younger age :D:thumbsup:

I see you you haven't changed much in term of taste since you were 11. A refined taste a a younger age :D:thumbsup:
Yes, very similar once again. Like many, I kind of did a full circle with a big modern/assisted craze a few years back. But recently have spent more time examining what I REALLY like and appreciate in a knife. And more often than not, find myself drawn to classic styles, and enamored by the nostalgia that comes with it.

My first knife was an Ulster Boy Scout pocket knife, circa 1965. I still have it and my brother's. First fixed blade was a Buck 102 Woodsman, circa 1968. Still have it.

Latest purchase is a Morakniv Bushcraft Black. I couldn't pass it up at $28 delivered.
9747405_2m.jpg

So my very first knife was something really dull my Dad got me from a county fair, I still have it. My second knife was a Camillus Cub Scout knife, still have that too. But I’ll go with the first knife I actually bought. Plateville Wisconsin, at the surplus store when I was 14, maybe 15, I walked out with a brand new 34OT. Unfortunately I lost that knife years later in the Marines. I’ll blame the not so deep pockets of our Camo utilities at the time. This one here my Grandad gave me about 23 years ago. My latest knife....well, another Schrade stockman arrived today. I guess my tastes haven’t changed mucho_O

298-DF38-F-8-C00-49-CB-B6-B0-156-A3-CEA0-B44.jpg

The first knife I had, that I can remember, was a US Divers knife, made in the USA -believe it or not- that my aunt gave me. I was a kid and I used to dive for lobsters. I cherished that knife until it was stolen from me during a diving trip. The knife wasn’t a cutter but I cherished it and needed to replace it.

At the diving shops I could no longer find a US Divers knife made in the USA. By then all diving knives were made in Japan. I bought every magazine I could find and wrote letters searching for my knife, to no avail. And then I ran into the Randall #16, the only divers knife made in the USA then. But the cost was prohibitive. But as we all know, when it comes to knives and so on, when there is a will, there is a way. And that started me into the rabbit hole.

For the past twenty five or so years I’ve mostly bought knives from Tony Bose. There’s always been a SAK, a Randall, a Chis Reeve, a pretty custom here and there. But I fish and hunt regularly and Tony knows how to make what I need. In the age of super steels, I’m yet to find a better steel than Tony’s 440V.

During the past few months, as a result of the virus confinement, I have been buying knives I never thought I’d buy. For instance, the very last I’ve received is a Hinderer XM-18, 3.5”, M-390 steel. Such robust knife. But the grind of the blade is also a bit... too robust, so it’s not a stellar cutter. But I like it. I’ve worked on the edge and it’s alright.

So there you go. First a US Divers made in USA, the last a Hinderer XM-18 also made in USA. I own a bunch of Puma knives, and SAK, but when it comes to real knives I believe the very best are made in the USA*.

*There some very crappy knives sadly made in the US, too.

First a Boy Scout knife.....even brought it to school to the guys, (1967).
Last Benchmade Bailout.

Back