Photos Your very first knife vs your latest - Did your taste and style changed?

My post in this thread is wrong.
The first knife I bought with my own money was one of these:

K55_1.jpg

Not the original, but a cheap fake.
Like really cheap.
I got it from a catalog they had on the back of comic books. One of them mail order houses that had everything under the sun that targeted us little kids with cool looking cheap ass stuff.
I also had a fake SAK from the same place that was so hard to open it was useless.
Both those knives probably cost me a couple of bucks that I probably sent via mail in cash.
Anyone remember that catalog from the comics?
It was like JC Whitney for goofy stuff.
Anyways, that was my first knife.
Oh, this is my latest:

fehrwharn.jpg

My first knife was a Schrade LB5 that my father gave me for Christmas about 40 years ago. I carried that knife everyday for years... fishing, hiking, etc.

I took great care of it (looked and functioned great after all those years)...and still had it until about 5 years ago when I gave it to my nephew soon after his father/my brother-in-law passed.

I miss it but it made me happy to see him smile that day.

My tastes have changed over the years (my most recent purchases have all been titanium framelocks) but I still have a sweet spot for a traditional American made lockback...I think I'll pick up a nice Buck 110 to take its place :)

My first knife at age 10 was an SAK. Now 69, my latest acquisition was a custom Laconico EZC.

I bought my first knife, a Buck 505, when I was in school in 1982 and carried it in my dress pants pocket for decades. It is a great knife and is sharper now than when I bought it. Buck still sells this model, called the 505 Knight, for $54 retail. I’m sure I bought mine for a whole lot less.
My latest purchase is a Sebenza 21 Insingo. Fantastic knife, I carry it and others every day since I no longer have to dress up.
The interesting thing is, disregarding blade length, both knives cut the same.

9E472041-3CAF-444C-91B8-1BA55F132CDE.jpeg

Lol, im surprised Dcdavis Dcdavis , i thought your first would be a CRK. But, why im not surprised of your latest? ;)
Haha. My dad gave me the Buck when I was young. It was the only pocket knife I had for a long time. Carried it everyday but it didn’t get a lot of use at work. I’d use utility knives or Klein stripping knives. I worked my way up to CRKs. Went to kershaw as my first clipped pocket knife. Then a mini grip was my first “expensive” knife purchase. And well here we are now :D

Haha. My dad gave me the Buck when I was young. It was the only pocket knife I had for a long time. Carried it everyday but it didn’t get a lot of use at work. I’d use utility knives or Klein stripping knives. I worked my way up to CRKs. Went to kershaw as my first clipped pocket knife. Then a mini grip was my first “expensive” knife purchase. And well here we are now :D

My first “true” knife, what I thought was “high” was a pm2, but then i went all in and went with a CRK large 21 with micarta inlay and Chad Nichols damascus. Believe or not, that CRK was my third and oh boy, she was a beauty... no regrets whatsoever and like you said, here we are...

Seeing you beat the crap out of you CRK is pretty damn inspirational like whether i scratched my new blade or not, i went back here and watch your posts to give myself a tap on the back :D

My first “true” knife, what I thought was “high” was a pm2, but then i went all in and went with a CRK large 21 with micarta inlay and Chad Nichols damascus. Believe or not, that CRK was my third and oh boy, she was a beauty... no regrets whatsoever and like you said, here we are...

Seeing you beat the crap out of you CRK is pretty damn inspirational like whether i scratched my new blade or not, i went back here and watch your posts to give myself a tap on the back :D
Ha! Glad to be of service :D You definitely went all out for your third. I think the Damascus looks the best with micarta or plain handles over polished handles. I get the most enjoyment of working them. I had to work up to that as well with CRKs. I’d go home and look at them, then wrap em back up and them back in the box. I felt like a crazy person so I finally threw them in the pocket and never looked back.

It did, I was whittling , got it hung up and wasn't smart enough to get help with it.
It is still oiled and sharp.

Careful with that sebbie if you planned to use it as a whittler. Probably an expensive one if it snap but highly doubt it would :D

Top three pictured are the first I owned and carried (mostly through the bush) as a kid. The Buck 112 and Kronenkrebs were given to me by my grandfather. The 112 was my first real knife and was with me everywhere I went. The survival knife was the first knife I bought with my own money (...please don't judge, every kid wanted to be Rambo, and for a cheap knife that thing took considerable abuse like a champ.) Somewhere over 30 years later, the Manly Comrade is my latest purchase.

3OqCgiD.jpg

Im curious what is everybody very first knife was and did your taste got refiner over the years? Bonus point if you still have it.

Mine was this shameful Olympia that i bought back then around the year 2004 at the flea market for $20.

View attachment 1362182
View attachment 1362179

I was so proud of it but it couldn’t cut for sh*t. So, i remembered that i broke out the dremel tool then and put what i called back then a wicked edge on it. Im not even sure what this mystery steel is. I taped the handle scale because the screws got loose and felt somewhere i dont know. So yea it misses a couple of screws and it a feature of that knife

View attachment 1362183

Centering is somewhat questionable.

View attachment 1362191

But, i haven’t truly dove in this hobby, until recent years. Now, when i see this knife, i was, boy... this is what i used to like?!?! :eek:

My taste is diversified over the years but it has gotten wayyy refined

My latest is an Arno Bernard Rinkhals

View attachment 1362184

It is enough to say that in build quality, both are marginally different and the rinkhals completely blows the other out of the water.

View attachment 1362180 View attachment 1362181

So what was yours? Out of curiosity. :D
I've been looking into getting myself a Rinkhals. I was curious about the ability to open it one-handed though. Are you able to? It is mostly compared to the Mnandi, which I personally can open with one hand pretty easily, but know that some people have a great deal of trouble with it. Thanks!

The first “real” knife I ever owned was an SOG trident. It had a combo edge and really was a pretty nice knife, especially for someone who’s never had any experience with any cutlery over $20. I believe I paid $50ish at Walmart. Then I went to Maine a few years ago and came across a knife shop that actually carried some heavy hitters such as Benchmade and spyderco. After fondling some real beauties I was hooked instantly. I bought my first otf and Bali as well as a fixed blade and assisted opener, all Benchmade. I wasn’t into spyderco at the time, but my latest acquisition is a pm2 in s110v and it is just fantastic

Back