Photos Your very first knife vs your latest - Did your taste and style changed?

My first knife was a Buck 124 that I bought in 1974 when a family friend hired me to count the logs being taken from his mountain property by a logging company. It ended up being a six week stent in the high Sierra's mostly by myself (excluding the passing log truck) and I learned pretty quick that a bigger knife was not better.
My latest knife is a custom Dozier Montana Hunter I receive a few days ago from Fort Henry Knives.
upload_2021-1-24_11-35-43.jpeg

The very first knife I purchased with my own money... (a money-order) mailed out and delivered to a friend's house (my mom would have killed me) I thought it was the absolute best knife ever!

it had the 'engraved' wolf head... the swing guard... I could sort of flick it open... held together with crappy pins... couldn't cut butter but it had a 4 inch blade!

I got it from an ad in the back of one of my uncle's many hunting magazines. It was crap, but it was cool looking and I could afford it ($5.00?)

wolf head.jpg wolf head a.jpg

one of my latest acquisitions... NOT from the back of a hunting magazine...

Pero e.jpg

The very first knife I purchased with my own money... (a money-order) mailed out and delivered to a friend's house (my mom would have killed me) I thought it was the absolute best knife ever!

it had the 'engraved' wolf head... the swing guard... I could sort of flick it open... held together with crappy pins... couldn't cut butter but it had a 4 inch blade!

I got it from an ad in the back of one of my uncle's many hunting magazines. It was crap, but it was cool looking and I could afford it ($5.00?)

View attachment 1496898 View attachment 1496899

one of my latest acquisitions... NOT from the back of a hunting magazine...

View attachment 1496907

Firts knife ever is always the best one ever in our uncultivated mind.... back then. Mine, couldn’t even be flicked and has a lockup about 10000% with rocking feature... boy it was awesome :oops:

my first knife was a Victorinox Classic SAK that my dad gave me which was an excellent starter knife for a 8 year old..while I started off with a decent knife I didn’t stay on track..first knife I actually bought was a cheapo Rambo like survival knife with the compass cap on the bottom of the hollow handled handle that was jam packed full of some pretty worthless “survival gear” with the exception of a few decent matches..in the mid 90s when I was 14 or 15 years old I bought my first cheapo butterfly knife from the local flea market which I thought was the coolest knife there was.the pins would often try to come out but I still loved it,until I dropped it on the ground and the handle broke in half.then when I was around 16 or 17 I became a full blown mall ninja buying them most useless ridiculous knives and swords I could find..when I was around 19 or 20 I started buying brand name knives.I wasn’t collecting but I would buy a knife for in the $20-$30 range and use it until I lost it,broke it or gave it away..some I would have for a month or 2 and others I might have for a year or so..it wasn’t until about 3 or 4 years ago that I actually started seriously collecting knives.for the first year or so of collecting I wouldn’t spend over $70 on a knife.them what I was willing to spend gradually went up..now most of the knives I buy are between $100 and $250..my most expensive knife was my $300 Microtech Ultratech,it’s hard for me to spend $300+ on a knife because that’s when you start reaching the price of some decent guns..I’m sure the time will come when I will be comfortable spending $500 on a Combat Troodon,a CRK Sebenza,Olamic Whippersnapper,etc but I’m certainly not there yet..my latest knife is a Spyderco PM2 in S110V..needless to say,my taste has drastically changed throughout my life

my first knife was a Victorinox Classic SAK that my dad gave me which was an excellent starter knife for a 8 year old..while I started off with a decent knife I didn’t stay on track..first knife I actually bought was a cheapo Rambo like survival knife with the compass cap on the bottom of the hollow handled handle that was jam packed full of some pretty worthless “survival gear” with the exception of a few decent matches..in the mid 90s when I was 14 or 15 years old I bought my first cheapo butterfly knife from the local flea market which I thought was the coolest knife there was.the pins would often try to come out but I still loved it,until I dropped it on the ground and the handle broke in half.then when I was around 16 or 17 I became a full blown mall ninja buying them most useless ridiculous knives and swords I could find..when I was around 19 or 20 I started buying brand name knives.I wasn’t collecting but I would buy a knife for in the $20-$30 range and use it until I lost it,broke it or gave it away..some I would have for a month or 2 and others I might have for a year or so..it wasn’t until about 3 or 4 years ago that I actually started seriously collecting knives.for the first year or so of collecting I wouldn’t spend over $70 on a knife.them what I was willing to spend gradually went up..now most of the knives I buy are between $100 and $250..my most expensive knife was my $300 Microtech Ultratech,it’s hard for me to spend $300+ on a knife because that’s when you start reaching the price of some decent guns..I’m sure the time will come when I will be comfortable spending $500 on a Combat Troodon,a CRK Sebenza,Olamic Whippersnapper,etc but I’m certainly not there yet..my latest knife is a Spyderco PM2 in S110V..needless to say,my taste has drastically changed throughout my life

When you reach those $500+ knives, quality and f&f are drastically improved but after that, you get to a point called diminishing return. Certainly, a Shiro or Rockstead will cut a box down efficiently but so does a Rat 1 or an Endura. At the end of the day, pay and use the right tool for the right job.

Last edited:
Mine was a Petr Weingartner custom in Elmax. I will never buy from him again. Busse since then and haven't turned back.

The first knife I bought with my own money was a simple Marttiini puukko and my first folder was a Buck/Mayo TNT. I still like both styles.

not so much actually
1990's on top, 2020's on bottom
KjVRNiE.jpg

ZNQFdmL.jpg

My first knife was a Benchmade Adamas 275. I remember buying it cause it looked tactical, was told Benchmade is great and the tan g10 handles matched my Ar-15 build at the time :D

Now I prefer not so chunky blades for EDC, but I don't mind carrying a Demko AD15 every now and then for fun :p.

As far a style, my tastes changed a lot in the first year of getting into this hobby. I remember seeing a Sebenza and thinking "who the hell would spend 400$ on such a boring looking knife?"
6 months later I bought one cause they started to look appealing. This was 7-8 years ago, now I still love the same styles and titanium frame lock knives are my favorite type of knife.

I also despised autos and OTF because I thought they were the type a knife a person would buy that didn't have any appreciation for folding knives ( I know so snobby). Only recently have I fallen in love withOTF's and autos!

My first knife was a Benchmade Adamas 275. I remember buying it cause it looked tactical, was told Benchmade is great and the tan g10 handles matched my Ar-15 build at the time :D

Now I prefer not so chunky blades for EDC, but I don't mind carrying a Demko AD15 every now and then for fun :p.

As far a style, my tastes changed a lot in the first year of getting into this hobby. I remember seeing a Sebenza and thinking "who the hell would spend 400$ on such a boring looking knife?"
6 months later I bought one cause they started to look appealing. This was 7-8 years ago, now I still love the same styles and titanium frame lock knives are my favorite type of knife.

I also despised autos and OTF because I thought they were the type a knife a person would buy that didn't have any appreciation for folding knives ( I know so snobby). Only recently have I fallen in love withOTF's and autos!

Last part is a good point, I won't carry folders anymore, but OTF's I love to death. Perfect boot knife

My very first was an LB7 I bought in '85. I absolutely hated that knife (too big and heavy and I abhor belt carry) and soon sold it to my BIL's son (who probably traded it for pharmaceuticals of some sort soon after). I had purchased an LB5 (perfect size for pocket carry) a couple of weeks later and still have it. That little knife saw a lot of abuse and I carried that thing for close to 10 years until the lock spring broke. Unfortunately, I never got around to sending it back to Schrade and the rest is history.

I bought a SAK Recruit and a Bear Grylls Compact Scout knife in 2011, on sale at Canadian Tire for $8 a piece, and still use the Recruit daily. Not too sure where the BGCS knife is.

I bought a fair amount of (expensive for me) folders, the last few years, but my last knife is a 110 and will likely remain so as I'm now retired on a fixed income. So, my first was an LB7 and my last is a 110, but I can only show the LB5.
ZaH8JFT.jpg

WGACA comes to mind...

I got my first "real" knife, a CRKT M16-12LE tanto (the blue, pre-AUTOLAWKS version in AUS8), as an 18-year-old freshman in college. Now I'm a 37-year-old attorney, and my latest knife purchase was a REX45 Lil Native (quickly modded with titanium scales), although my SharpByDesign Evo Typhoon should be delivered this afternoon. Overall, my preference is still toward smaller (3"-ish) blades, albeit with nicer materials.

I'd given my dad the same CRKT back then, and he lost it a few years ago, so I passed mine to him. It's held up admirably for almost 20 years.

My first knife was an Endura with a partially serrated edge in ATS-55. Over the years I've learned to sharpen knives and find that I prefer plain edge blades. My latest knife is a Gayle Bradley Advocate.

Back