You're saying that wrong...

What part of Canada was this Paper. The cadence sounds like a translation VS fluent English.
I work with Indian coworkers and my wife is Filipino, the mental translation to English makes for some interesting phrasing. :)

Bill

No matter: everyone is welcome!
(Most folks can never figure out what I'm talking about... )

This has been some fun reading! While alot (ha) of these drive me up the wall, I would lose so much entertainment if everyone presented themselves perfectly...

One I did not see, but probably missed is "acrost" (?) or "acrossed" - having not seen it in writing, I am not sure which is the appropriate use of the misspelling.

"Drug" used as a past-tense of drag annoys me. So does saying "sought after". Sought doesn't need the addition of after.

This has been some fun reading! While alot (ha) of these drive me up the wall, I would lose so much entertainment if everyone presented themselves perfectly...

🤣

One I did not see, but probably missed is "acrost" (?) or "acrossed" - having not seen it in writing, I am not sure which is the appropriate use of the misspelling.

Haha so the question is, do mispronunciations have "correct" spellings. It's a paradox!

mind blown.jpg

Don't mind me, but I wanted to memorialize your post here. ;)

For example people will say and write RPM’s. The ‘s doesn’t belong if you say the words it is obvious. Revolutions Per Minute’s makes no sense.

Man that thread delivers today. I'll quote this one here too, because it fits the theme and is a good counterpoint to the pernickety vibe of many of our posts here:

Honestly, the English language is almost infinitely flexible, partly because it's really just seven racoons in a trenchcoat pretending to be a language.

Also, apparently pernickety is the correct way, and Americans at some point arbitrarily (?) changed it to persnickety. I generally just use pernickety.

I understand that correct usage is important for school, work and to make a good impression. In general daily use, I would rather have a conversation with someone who breaks many of the 'rules' and logical constraints that have been described in this thread, but is able to effectively COMMUNICATE to me what they are really wanting and trying to say, than to have a conversation with someone who has an outstanding command of correct English usage and pronunciation, but who is not an effective communicator - or worst of all, disingenuous.

What people always bang on me for is my run-on sentences. :)

Fun fact: "Whence" means "from where", and "thence" means "from there", so neither word needs "from" before it. Saying "Go back from whence you came" literally means "Go back from from where you came".

Back