Zero Tolerance Current/Upcoming/Discontinued Models

I still don't particularly like the backspacer and thumb...cylinder on the 0850, but the blacked out frame looks really good. So if one of those should come to our shores I think I will cave and get one.

The backspacer i do like but i feel the same way about the thumb studs. The black frame is indeed really appealing that's what really grabbed my attention as well.
In Europe this will be around 350-380 euros i believe. It's strange, though, how in Europe they never (or at least very rarely) lower their prices when a model gets discontinued. Where i live, it's cheaper to get a knife from USA at a discontinued price than one from a dealer in the EU. It really sucks.

*There are websites that still carry Spyderco that have been discontinued a while back and they still price them at 250 -350 euros even though you could get them for 100-150 dollars from USA retailers after they were discontinued.

The backspacer i do like but i feel the same way about the thumb studs. The black frame is indeed really appealing that's what really grabbed my attention as well.
In Europe this will be around 350-380 euros i believe. It's strange, though, how in Europe they never (or at least very rarely) lower their prices when a model gets discontinued. Where i live, it's cheaper to get a knife from USA at a discontinued price than one from a dealer in the EU. It really sucks.

*There are websites that still carry Spyderco that have been discontinued a while back and they still price them at 250 -350 euros even though you could get them for 100-150 dollars from USA retailers after they were discontinued.

Yeah I know what you mean, discounts never reach us in Europe. Kind of frustrating because it also means dealers get less variety, one dropped CKF completely because they sold the knives directly with 30-50% off and it wasn't competitive anymore to sell them in Euros.

Hey All,

Has anyone purchased the 0609 PUR yet?
I'm undecided on wether to go the Bronze standard model or the PUR.
I personally love the look of the PUR however I was a little concerned about the PVD blade coating over the long haul.
Was a little concerned I'd baby the PUR version as well.

Would really love a side by side comparison pic with good lighting!

I have a blue and purple 0609. My wife liked my blue one so I got her the purple for mom's day. Got to pick the serial # ended up w/0123. While there I picked up the 0805 sprint run.

The looks of the Purple blade is nice, not blacked out like the blue more of a grey/bronze color when compared side by side. I like the see through pivots but they are a PIA to pull apart IMO. My action on my blue 0609 is nice and smooth, won't be a drop shut blade, not enough weight but it's pretty smooth. I love the way it feels though can be a little slippery depending on how dry your hands are. The action on the purple is less smooth and the lock bar is really stiff. The bearings were actually squeaking, pulled it apart and lubed it up. Much improved but still very stiff both in deployment and lock bar movement. My wife is struggling with it, mine is breaking in nicely (in my pocket right now). The action is proving to be less slick and droppy when compared to a larger, heavier knife but I really like everything about it. Slim, light, great blade and carries well in my 5th pocket (though sticks out a little high) plus it looks really nice IMO. -- Update on the purple 0609, working much better now. I really like carrying the 0609, great EDC sized.

The 0805, well, I wasn't on board with it from the get go. When the black sprint run came out I liked the look a lot better and I kind of like the blade profile. It's got some goofy styling cues but I can get over that (all the 6 shooter references). The deployment using your thumb on the thumb stud is pretty snappy though initially stiff. It feels weird that you don't feel that silky bearing movement, just a smooth dragging action the whole way. By dragging I mean it's restrained somewhat but still snaps well. I really like deploying it w/my middle finger, it snaps out very well when you get it down. The lock bar is nice, moves smoothly and doesn't dig into your thumb at all but again, no drop shut here. You can't feel the detent when releasing the blade, it just starts moving toward the handle in a really smooth free feeling glide. With a flipper I will release the lock and let the flipper hit my thumb then move it before the blade closes. This knife has no flipper and a very small choil so can potentially cut your thumb if you let the blade fall against it. It's very light and feels great in the hand w/no noticeable hot spots. With an aggressive grip it seems like it can do some serious cutting. I like the clip quite a bit, it carries like a large knife. I really only picked it up 'just because'. Being a CF frame it feels very different than any other ZT I have (8 currently), can't really say I dislike it but I'm not going to try and sell anyone on it. It's a niche knife, we'll see how it goes but if your on the fence you shouldn't be terribly disappointed if you don't get one right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: V-1
Hey All,

Has anyone purchased the 0609 PUR yet?
I'm undecided on wether to go the Bronze standard model or the PUR.
I personally love the look of the PUR however I was a little concerned about the PVD blade coating over the long haul.
Was a little concerned I'd baby the PUR version as well.

Would really love a side by side comparison pic with good lighting!

Here are a couple I took for you quickly. Hope they help!

https://flic.kr/p/25h6ZVv https://www.flickr.com/photos/59094695@N06/

https://flic.kr/p/25h6ZEa https://www.flickr.com/photos/59094695@N06/

I have a blue and purple 0609. My wife liked my blue one so I got her the purple for mom's day. Got to pick the serial # ended up w/0123. While there I picked up the 0805 sprint run.

The looks of the Purple blade is nice, not blacked out like the blue more of a grey/bronze color when compared side to side. I like the see through pivots but they are a PIA to pull apart IMO. My action on my blue 0609 is nice and smooth, won't be a drop shut blade, not enough weight but it's pretty smooth. I love the way it feels though can be a little slippery depending on how dry your hands are. The action on the purple is less smooth and the lock bar is really stiff. The bearings were actually squeaking, pulled it apart and lubed it up. Much improved but still very stiff both in deployment and lock bar movement. My wife is struggling with it, mine is breaking in nicely (in my pocket right now). The action is proving to be less slick and droppy when compared to a larger, heavier knife but I really like everything about it. Slim, light, great blade and carries well in my 5th pocket (though sticks out a little high) plus it looks really nice IMO. -- Update on the purple 0609, working much better now. I really like carrying the 0609, great EDC sized.

The 0805, well, I wasn't on board with it from the get go. When the black sprint run came out I liked the look a lot better and I kind of like the blade profile. It's got some goofy styling cues but I can get over that (all the 6 shooter references). The deployment using your thumb on the thumb stud is pretty snappy though initially stiff. It feels weird that you don't feel that silky bearing movement, just a smooth dragging action the whole way. By dragging I mean it's restrained somewhat but still snaps well. I really like deploying it w/my middle finger, it snaps out very well when you get it down. The lock bar is nice, moves smoothly and doesn't dig into your thumb at all but again, no drop shut here. You can't feel the detent when releasing the blade, it just starts moving toward the handle in a really smooth free feeling glide. With a flipper I will release the lock and let the flipper hit my thumb then move it before the blade closes. This knife has no flipper and a very small choil so can potentially cut your thumb if you let the blade fall against it. It's very light and feels great in the hand w/no noticeable hot spots. With an aggressive grip it seems like it can do some serious cutting. I like the clip quite a bit, it carries like a large knife. I really only picked it up 'just because'. Being a CF frame it feels very different than any other ZT I have (8 currently), can't really say I dislike it but I'm not going to try and sell anyone on it. It's a niche knife, we'll see how it goes but if your on the fence you shouldn't be terribly disappointed if you don't get one right away.

Awesome Thankyou for that. Yeah I need to factor in the cost of the pivot tool with the purchase of this knife. I'ts quite a costly blade when you think about it.
Is the stiffness just that it's new? I hope the blade coating doesn't have anything to do with its stiffness.

Here are a couple I took for you quickly. Hope they help!

Thankyou very much for the pictures Whitty much appreciated!

They are both beautiful. Damn! Haha.

Can I just be a bit of a pain and ask if there's any feel or sound difference with deployment of the blade between the two?
For example I've owned both ZT0450 models. The CF/DLC version and the titanium and it may have been in my head but I much preferred the sound and feel of deployment of the standard titanium model.

I think a lot of the stiffness is due to needing some break in time. I've never had a knife out of the box that literally had bearing squeak/squeal, not sure if it was missed or ?? It's like a new knife today compared to yesterday. I was expecting to come home and work it a bit but as soon as I picked it up it was noticeably better. The blade coating isn't the culprit. On the purple model it almost appears to be more of an anodizing than a coating whereas the blue is noticeably coated. IMO the blade metal looks nicer on the new purple sprint run compared to the other 2. The blade stock is pretty thin so it's a slicer but also makes the blade pretty light as I mentioned, mine won't drop shut but that's not a bad thing.

I actually carried it tonight as a 2nd along w/my 3.5" XM-18 to my daughters softball game, not even noticeable. I got a really good price on my blue model and have had it a while. I did pay full price for the purple but probably wouldn't have had I not already had the blue one and felt it was worth it, plus my wife really likes it and I didn't want to give up the blue one :)

Both models I have have the same construction, just different blade steels so pretty much sound the same. They sound a little more clicky than thwacky, kind of like a PM2. They feel the same as each other. I too prefer Ti feel to CF just cause it feels more solid but I like CF.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the stiffness is due to needing some break in time. I've never had a knife out of the box that literally had bearing squeak/squeal, not sure if it was missed or ?? It's like a new knife today compared to yesterday. I was expecting to come home and work it a bit but as soon as I picked it up it was noticeably better. The blade coating isn't the culprit. On the purple model it almost appears to be more of an anodizing than a coating whereas the blue is noticeably coated. IMO the blade metal looks nicer on the new purple sprint run compared to the other 2. The blade stock is pretty thin so it's a slicer but also makes the blade pretty light as I mentioned, mine won't drop shut but that's not a bad thing.

I actually carried it tonight as a 2nd along w/my 3.5" XM-18 to my daughters softball game, not even noticeable. I got a really good price on my blue model and have had it a while. I did pay full price for the purple but probably wouldn't have had I not already had the blue one and felt it was worth it, plus my wife really likes it and I didn't want to give up the blue one :)

Both models I have have the same construction, just different blade steels so pretty much sound the same. They sound a little more clicky than thwacky, kind of like a PM2. They feel the same as each other. I too prefer Ti feel to CF just cause it feels more solid but I like CF.

Thankyou very much Mistman. I ordered it Tonight :)
Very excited and much appreciate your info and help in choosing.

Yeah I know what you mean, discounts never reach us in Europe. Kind of frustrating because it also means dealers get less variety, one dropped CKF completely because they sold the knives directly with 30-50% off and it wasn't competitive anymore to sell them in Euros.
In the same respect buying European knives in Europe is cheaper than it is here not to mention limited runs that simply can't be purchased in the states.

In the same respect buying European knives in Europe is cheaper than it is here not to mention limited runs that simply can't be purchased in the states.

Is it though? Since non EU buyers can opt out of the tax (at least one store mentions that at least). So they are 20% cheaper. Unless the conversion rate eats it up, plus shipping. Perhaps a zero sum game. As for limited runs, thats certainly true.

Is it though? Since non EU buyers can opt out of the tax (at least one store mentions that at least). So they are 20% cheaper. Unless the conversion rate eats it up, plus shipping. Perhaps a zero sum game. As for limited runs, thats certainly true.

Even with VAT

I think it's probably because US dealers are paying in dollars and having to pay import tax because they're a business and they're buying in quantity, but all of that is guessing.

What I do know is I can go to Rothenburg and pick up German knives for $5 to $50 less than I can order the for here.

The new Zero Tolerance 0223 https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0223

25f82a688210fca0120dc47b3f59f13e.png

Coming soon ZT 0223 with a 3.5" black DLC blade of 20CV, KVT ball bearings flipper, black DLC titanium frame lock with steel insert and earth brown G-10 overlay for a street price of $300.

0223_profile_1020x400.png

0223_clipside-closed_1020x400.png

0223_in-hand_1020x400.png

Back