Fairly Knives Chat - Check in and say Hi! Post whatever here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope to eventually build a miniramp for skating, it's for my daughter not me, I swear.
I don't believe you Daniel.:D I have skate stuff too;) I have built lots of ramps in my days if you need any advice just hit me up,but I have a feeling you have built a few yourself.
I finished another knife project I have been working on I'll post pix to show you guys a little later.Now I can start a new project.I have been wanting to make a friction folder ,well I would rather make a frame lock but I figure I should start with a friction folder first.
Y'all have a great Sunday..I have to go to work now :grumpy:

Mornin' men. The tantos are looking sharp! :D

For that 1918 Trench Knife, take a look at the Busse Combat Works website for ideas. I noticed that they have an example they are currently producing, called the Argonne Assault LB. It looks like a real beast!

Good morning! Thanks!

I recently saw that Busse, it's a nice knife. They made a trench knife a few years back that was cool too. Jeremy Horton makes some awesome trenchers too.

Morning men.Shayman The Busse AA has no where near a wide bowie style blade.Plus they are way too thin.Also almost $600, I would rather have a custom.Thanks for the thought though Shayman!!!

Busse... I like their knives and fun attitude. Jerry Busse seems to have extensive knowledge on CNC knife making and heat treat. I think he was a college professor when he started Busse. Cool stuff!

I will say INFI and S7 are so close it isn't funny, 52100 is SR101. Not sure what to think about that...

I once tested a 5160 tanto on a cinderblock, I chopped right through it with almost no edge damage... I will say edge geometry and heat treat must be on for that to happen.

LOL. Thanks for the correction. I was completely focused on the knuckle wrap and missed everything else.

A DFK Rendition would be ridiculously cool! Add a skull crusher too!

Sounds great, skull crusher of course!

Shayman your right on track a skull crusher on the end would be awesome as hell!!!!Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!!!

I agree!

Everyone have a great Sunday!

I don't believe you Daniel.:D I have skate stuff too;) I have built lots of ramps in my days if you need any advice just hit me up,but I have a feeling you have built a few yourself.
I finished another knife project I have been working on I'll post pix to show you guys a little later.Now I can start a new project.I have been wanting to make a friction folder ,well I would rather make a frame lock but I figure I should start with a friction folder first.
Y'all have a great Sunday..I have to go to work now :grumpy:

:D Cool I want to see the projects!

Frame locks are tough, friction folders are too but you can get away with less equipment. Either way I'm rooting for you!

nightvisionskullknucks.png

KnucklesPrototype.jpg

A couple of the comments made me laugh, so I figured I'd help out with a sneak preview of the second edition.

A couple of the comments made me laugh, so I figured I'd help out with a sneak preview of the second edition.

ROTFLMAO!!!

That's the trench knife handle you posted! I have a Marge Butterfly coming up too! Flaming Moe bottle opener after that. lol

I kept thinking it resembled something cartoon like, I actually looked at the transformers logo because I thought it was that.

I think the paper model looks good, lol! :D You guys will see! :D :p

Afternoon gang! Just finished a fresh baked cherry turnover for lunch. Cherry season is in ful swing here, and this little bakery buys local produce as much as possible. Puttin in 10 hours today, at a different store too. The only good thing is its like being a substitue teacher, just kinda sit back and make sure nobody does anything stupid. Its a decent crew here, though, not much to deal with. I had to write up two more people at my store yesterday for screwing up a transaction and essentially giving away a 35# bag of dog food. Policy and procedure are in place for a reason!

I'm super stoked about both my knives, Daniel! I keep running ideas around for the handle treatment, and have settled on a few different concepts. I will need to test a few, but hopefully they work how I want them to!

Back to work...

-Xander

Evening men. Well, the wifes little yard sale adventure is over. All of the big toys and play things my son (whom I realized was very spoiled...) didn't use anymore or outgrew are gone. 5 boxes of his old clothes are gone. My spacious dining room is also gone! Everything that didn't sell is still here! I guess she is putting everything left up on craigslist. Daniel, any baby stuff you guys need? I do have a very nice crib set with bumpers, sheet and I think a quilt as well, all forrest animals theme! I am giving her one week and what doesn't sell by then is going to Goodwill. She made $190 in two days, but I am sure we spent thousands in two years collecting all of that stuff!

Oh wait, I guess I need a different membership to try and sell the baby stuff on here! Where do I pay for a babymaker membership?? But I only practice at making babies now, so does that still qualify me as a babymaker? What if I only make one baby every few years? Can I post pics of my baby?

-Xander

P.S. I am only poking fun at the BS that has been going on in Shop Talk lately, please guys don't start a rant war over that!

Oh yeah, I got tomorrow off! Hope to finish the mini, but first I have to take my 1917 in for surgery tomorrow! Its going under the mill for a little corrective metal work, some holes filled and age marks taken out. Once I get the sight line dialed in its time for an exfoliating bead blast and a deep blueing. Next up will be finishing up the furniture and adding in some graceful curves to accentuate certain features! A chemical peel for the furniture (ferric nitrate bath for the maple) is still an option at this point. Its gonna be a classy old gal when done! She'll be 94 years old this october.

Here is how she sits right now...

2011-05-17110730.jpg

2011-05-17110825.jpg

Oh, Big, I found some pics of my Remington 582 .22 I redid. Thought you might like to see it...

DSCN1818.jpg

Here is a shot of the wood and finish I did on it. I have since cut the gloss back to a satin lustre, it does get time in the field and reflective wood isn't always a good thing...

DSCN1809.jpg

And here is the finish now and a bolt detail shot or the jeweling done by my uncle who owns RedMistMaker...its not the best picture, the finish still has lots of depth to it and a wonderfull sheen.

2011-06-10104050.jpg

-Xander

Wow those are cool. The 1917 is looking good! Same with the .22! The jeweling is really nice, great finish on the wood too.

Cool you are getting the 1917 milled, it will be like new I bet. I'd like to take some machining classes, a local school offers a machinist program with gunsmithing classes as well. I'm trying some jewled Ti soon! Maybe on my liner lock, that would be fun. Did you jewel the 1917, I see some cool action on the bolt, looks like a hologram or carbon fiber!

I'd like to find a 1911 pistol to work on, I like their style. I looked here and they go for a fortune! Lol I need a cheap one to start on!

My uncle also did the jeweling on that bolt, extracter and magazine follower. I don't have a bolt jig for jeweling them, but really should build one. Its nothing more than a long, shallow "U" with live centers on each end and one has a index wheel for turning it equal amounts of degree each pass. When I gave him my bolt I asked that he do it so it looks like its been there a while, kinda match the gun a little better, he used a worn abrasive rod and a light touch to really make it look how I wanted it too. Its an old gun, and when its done it will still be an old gun! I never intended for this project to be a showroom new type of project, but a very nice and appropriately aged project. I mean, this gun is from WWI, it should look aged with dignity!

-X

Morning men!

Nice project fast14riot! I really like your approach on the 1917 and be sure to post pics when you get it done.

Daniel, great photos in the Photos thread! The way you set those up is among the best I've ever seen.

Morning men.Xander your gun projects are OUTSTANDING!!!!!! I would like to take a month and spend 2 weeks with Daniel learning knife making and 2 weeks with you learning gun making! That 1917 is going to be out of this world!!!That 22 you did is outstanding also.Them are the hobby's I need to get into to get me out of the depression I suffer from not being able to work any more!

My uncle also did the jeweling on that bolt, extracter and magazine follower. I don't have a bolt jig for jeweling them, but really should build one. Its nothing more than a long, shallow "U" with live centers on each end and one has a index wheel for turning it equal amounts of degree each pass. When I gave him my bolt I asked that he do it so it looks like its been there a while, kinda match the gun a little better, he used a worn abrasive rod and a light touch to really make it look how I wanted it too. Its an old gun, and when its done it will still be an old gun! I never intended for this project to be a showroom new type of project, but a very nice and appropriately aged project. I mean, this gun is from WWI, it should look aged with dignity!

-X

...and it looks great! Nice approach to everything.

That makes sense he used a jig, that would be impossible to get right any other way. I must try it! lol drill press and a pencil eraser with some grit

Morning men!

Nice project fast14riot! I really like your approach on the 1917 and be sure to post pics when you get it done.

Daniel, great photos in the Photos thread! The way you set those up is among the best I've ever seen.

Hey thanks! I appreciate hearing that. All my photos are done with the same camera so it does show that setup is everything.

Morning men.Xander your gun projects are OUTSTANDING!!!!!! I would like to take a month and spend 2 weeks with Daniel learning knife making and 2 weeks with you learning gun making! That 1917 is going to be out of this world!!!That 22 you did is outstanding also.Them are the hobby's I need to get into to get me out of the depression I suffer from not being able to work any more!

Look locally, I was very surprised to see a gunsmithing class offered. If the school was closer I might sign up for night classes. Same with the machining, but it is a 2 year intensive program.

I hope you feel better BC.

Well I literally spent all day yesterday getting packages and addresses organized, getting mail quotes. I have to go to town to buy more packaging supplies then hope to go back and get some knives mailed out! I counted and am mailing out 28 knives or shirts! Mailroom and secretarial duty! I'll spend today and some of tomorrow on that then it's back to making knives! Yay!!!

OH yea that is what I am wanting to hear!!!!! I know making up all of the packaging and labels is tedious work but just think how many people you are going to make so happy!!!!! Especially me!!When I get my SWSK I am going to have perma grin for days!!!!!

You mean there is a possibility I will get to hold my knife?! I can cut my self with it?! Oh man, the anticipation has really set in!!!

Just got home from one gun smiths retail shop, a second gunsmiths home shop (the one doing my 1917), and a third gun sales shop. I got a full shop tour of old man Chucks shop and he allowed me to take some pics, I'll post some up after lunch. At the gun store, I found another project gun, an OLD savage 4C .22 rifle with mechanical issues. I have known the owner for 20+ years and he just wants it out of his inventory, so he told me $30 I can take it home (after the 10 day wait, background check, and registration). I am going to do a little research, but most likey pick it up for a complete makeover into a SuperStock Bolt Action rifle. For Big's sake, it will have peep sights, no scope!

-Xander

Daniel for an entry level 1911 look at RockIsland and also the Para Ordinance GI expert. The Para is a little more but it has a lot more options on it. I have a Springfield 1911-A1 loaded.It is the same as their TRP model just no light rail and it is stainless. I love it! It has helped me win a few combat handgun competitions.I love shooting IDPA there shoots are the most realistic situations you may find yourself in.Just my 2 cents!

OH yea that is what I am wanting to hear!!!!! I know making up all of the packaging and labels is tedious work but just think how many people you are going to make so happy!!!!! Especially me!!When I get my SWSK I am going to have perma grin for days!!!!!

It will go out tomorrow, I had a few complications with packaging... not enough packaging materials or boxes big enough for the bigger knives! I'm on it first thing tomorrow.

You mean there is a possibility I will get to hold my knife?! I can cut my self with it?! Oh man, the anticipation has really set in!!!

Just got home from one gun smiths retail shop, a second gunsmiths home shop (the one doing my 1917), and a third gun sales shop. I got a full shop tour of old man Chucks shop and he allowed me to take some pics, I'll post some up after lunch. At the gun store, I found another project gun, an OLD savage 4C .22 rifle with mechanical issues. I have known the owner for 20+ years and he just wants it out of his inventory, so he told me $30 I can take it home (after the 10 day wait, background check, and registration). I am going to do a little research, but most likey pick it up for a complete makeover into a SuperStock Bolt Action rifle. For Big's sake, it will have peep sights, no scope!

-Xander

:D

That is a steal on the Savage! They are cool guns from what I know.

I have a Savage .22/.410 over under.

Daniel for an entry level 1911 look at RockIsland and also the Para Ordinance GI expert. The Para is a little more but it has a lot more options on it. I have a Springfield 1911-A1 loaded.It is the same as their TRP model just no light rail and it is stainless. I love it! It has helped me win a few combat handgun competitions.I love shooting IDPA there shoots are the most realistic situations you may find yourself in.Just my 2 cents!

Thanks, I think I saw a Rock Island today funny enough. I'd like to make 1911 grips, I like the style. lol what I really like is AK-47''s but I doubt I'll get one.

I'm thinking for deer I may just use my 4runner, I came so close to hitting one today... probably touched the hair on it's tail. If I head towards town at dusk...

It will go out tomorrow, I had a few complications with packaging... not enough packaging materials or boxes big enough for the bigger knives! I'm on it first thing tomorrow.

-Xander

:D

That is a steal on the Savage! They are cool guns from what I know.

I have a Savage .22/.410 over under.

Thanks, I think I saw a Rock Island today funny enough. I'd like to make 1911 grips, I like the style. lol what I really like is AK-47''s but I doubt I'll get one.

I'm thinking for deer I may just use my 4runner, I came so close to hitting one today... probably touched the hair on it's tail. If I head towards town at dusk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back