How many fishing rods do you own ?

Would have three but a friend of mine's girlfriend borrowed and subsequently snapped my ultralight spinning rod two summers ago. Owned it for over 20 years, made it through my teens and she snapped it within 2 hours of using it. Oh well.

Fortunately, they still make the model (more or less) and it hadn't gone up too much in price since.

That sucks... Even though you can buy another, it just would't be the same

My wife can't understand why I might be hesitant to loan the use of one of my rod/reel combo if a friend/relative needs something to use. She doesn't realize that some of those combos cost as much as $500. Sort of like loaning out a knife....... I do have some kiddie setups that I could loan out, but I would be a little embarrassed to provide that to an adult. I have rod/reel combos for each local grand kid and of course they only used them one or two times.

Tell her to buy my megabass evoluzion c40 elsiel from me ;)

She has been cut off because I'm looking at a Lamiglas Kenai Pro :D Well, that's not entirely true, because we came home about an hour ago, and she
brought a new Okuma SST Ladies Pink Salmon rod home with her lol...

Some of the Okuma rods are actually very nice, and reasonably priced. Heck, they had the SST Salmon rod with the Carbon Fiber handle on sale for $56. I damn near bought one.

My wife can't understand why I might be hesitant to loan the use of one of my rod/reel combo if a friend/relative needs something to use. She doesn't realize that some of those combos cost as much as $500. Sort of like loaning out a knife....... I do have some kiddie setups that I could loan out, but I would be a little embarrassed to provide that to an adult. I have rod/reel combos for each local grand kid and of course they only used them one or two times.

It's hard to loan nice things to others because they can and do cost a substantial amount of $$$, and those of us that buy quality gear usually take
a lot of pride in it, and treat it with care... Some people don't know the difference and could care less.
I'm 54 years old, and there are only 3 people outside of immediate family, that I would trust with anything I own.

I have more than I can ever use, now that I think about it. Hobbies / passions are funny that way - seems like there can never be the perfect do-all rod than there can be gun, knife, or whatever the interest.

Before kids I used to spend a lot more time on the water, and it was always fun to try "new" gear, which ranged from the latest tech to the inexpensive classics found at yard sales and junk stores. What didn't make the cut moved on, and the rest either got hoarded or, if they were lucky, were passed on to someone else to enjoy. Hmm. Kind of like knives...

I have more than I can ever use, now that I think about it. Hobbies / passions are funny that way - seems like there can never be the perfect do-all rod than there can be gun, knife, or whatever the interest.

Before kids I used to spend a lot more time on the water, and it was always fun to try "new" gear, which ranged from the latest tech to the inexpensive classics found at yard sales and junk stores. What didn't make the cut moved on, and the rest either got hoarded or, if they were lucky, were passed on to someone else to enjoy. Hmm. Kind of like knives...

Yeah, it really is the same as knives, guns or any other hobby... It is nice to have options though :D
I'm sure I could get by just fine with 3 rods, and I'm sure I wouldn't catch any more, or less fish.

I've gotten a lot better with knives. I still have way more than anyone needs, but I've gotten better about not keeping everything, just because they
are cool.

I like to think of it as a retirement project - learn to use all the gear I've accumulated, teach the grandkids, and purge what is not used.:)

Retirement is pretty far down the line, so for now it's just use what I can when I can.

I think I have around 30 or so, some vintage, some high tech, some fly, some boat rods.

As always, I have one less than I need. :p

-X

Just counted 18 that I can think of. 7 are for ice fishing, 2 catfish rods, and the rest for walleye, pike, and panfish.

As far as tackle goes, I'd rather not think about the $ invested into that. Definitely enough to buy a good used car. What's sad is that my most productive method of fishing involves one #2 octopus hook, a 2 foot leader, snap swivel, slip sinker, and a leech. It's costs me less than a dollar for that setup.

I like to think of it as a retirement project - learn to use all the gear I've accumulated, teach the grandkids, and purge what is not used.:)

Retirement is pretty far down the line, so for now it's just use what I can when I can.

It wouldn't hurt me to learnhow to better use a lot of the stuff I have too :D

I think I have around 30 or so, some vintage, some high tech, some fly, some boat rods.

As always, I have one less than I need. :p

-X

LOL... Of course :D

I have 17. Use to have a lot more back in my tournament fishing days.

I can't imagine how many I would have, if I started entering tournaments :eek:

Just counted 18 that I can think of. 7 are for ice fishing, 2 catfish rods, and the rest for walleye, pike, and panfish.

As far as tackle goes, I'd rather not think about the $ invested into that. Definitely enough to buy a good used car. What's sad is that my most productive method of fishing involves one #2 octopus hook, a 2 foot leader, snap swivel, slip sinker, and a leech. It's costs me less than a dollar for that setup.

That's funny, but it really puts things into perspective

I have over 100 .....I manage shopping malls and those dam sales at Dick's and Sports Authority! I actually give 5 to 10 cheap combos away each year to kids or beginners. I am 56 now and also plan on getting rid of unneeded stuff when I retire someday....lol...I do have almost all my rods from age 6 on to today also, which is a part of that number....

That's funny, but it really puts things into perspective

I should say that while the hook and leech get me the most fish, crankbaits and a jig with soft plastics haven't gotten me my biggest fish. Also, over half of the tackle I own is for ice fishing, where the leech method won't work either. The fish can be VERY picky through the ice, so I have a ton of different lures for that The leech and hook puts way more fish in my belly though.

I have over 100 .....I manage shopping malls and those dam sales at Dick's and Sports Authority! I actually give 5 to 10 cheap combos away each year to kids or beginners. I am 56 now and also plan on getting rid of unneeded stuff when I retire someday....lol...I do have almost all my rods from age 6 on to today also, which is a part of that number....

:eek: It's neat having rods with history to them... Besides my Eagle Claw that my parents bought for me many years ago, I have a few rods that were my grandparents. As I was looking at the rods that I got after my grandfather passed away, I recognized a rod I used when I was very young. It's a very old,
I'm guessing 1950's era, Shakespeare that is a very light green color. As I've racked my brain trying to remember back that far, I do remember catching fish with it :cool:

I should say that while the hook and leech get me the most fish, crankbaits and a jig with soft plastics haven't gotten me my biggest fish. Also, over half of the tackle I own is for ice fishing, where the leech method won't work either. The fish can be VERY picky through the ice, so I have a ton of different lures for that The leech and hook puts way more fish in my belly though.

It's a good thing we don't ice fish here, or who knows how many more rods I would have, that never get used :D

I hate to even admit this publicly, after basically saying I already have too many rods, but it looks like there will probably be 2 or 3 more showing up within the next week or so :eek:

A Lamiglas Kenai Pro Spinner. A Lamiglas Rouge River Special, and possibly an older Lamiglas Special order Steelhead rod...

I will probably have them hold off on shipping because we are leaving Tuesday or Wednesday, and going fishing for 5 or 6 days, and I really
don't want them laying out on the front porch for several days.

Oh well, I guess I'm already way past the point of common sense, so might as well keep going. At least I'm getting better about my knife addiction :D

I own a boat and have to provide gear for family. I fish for everything in the PNW. I have 45+ new, 10+ old retired. They range from UL to Halibut.
Ron Athay

We have four of us in the family and we tried to involve the kids in all our outdoor activities. We all went shooting, boating, fishing, hunting, and archery. So, had to have four of everything and fishing was a real test as we did ultra-light freshwater fishing to medium saltwater fishing and some fly fishing. The corner of my garage has a bunch, I have no idea the number and won't be counting them anytime soon. Sad thing is the kids are grown up now and I don't fish hardly at all anymore. I certainly do need a yard sale.

Back