Is Chris Reeve gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine that, with his meticulous attention to detail, Chris had most likely been preparing for his eventual departure for some time, and would have prepared his workers to carry the CRK quality forward.

Jim

I understand the worry and the intrigue about what is going on. We are fans and some of us have a sizable amount of money invested in their products. (Some as investments)

I like to compare CRK to Apple. Why pay such and such for a phone... it is just a phone. Why pay such and such for a Sebenza...it is just a knife.

Steve Jobs was critical to Apple as in my opinion Chris was critical to CRK.

BUT... as when Steve came back to Apple he instilled his ideals into many aspects of the company, that it is able to continue to be innovative without him while still maintaining a standard. I think CRK will be fine as well without Chris. Their current product lines are all established and we should not see any issues with any of those.

Our Sebenzas are safe. ;-)

Just my opinions but I think we will still see some great things coming out of their shop and I will continue to be a customer.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea. I purchased my first Reeve in 1987 (?), and although the name and quality may remain consistent, I just suffered an immediate deflated feeling. Good Luck.

Thank you- This is exactly right..

Whatever happened is between Chris and Anne- The discussion of the details are none of our business and thus are not going to be publicly debated here.

Good to know a mod feels the same as I do and won't allow it to go any further . People tend to think because you emailed someone a few times or had phone calls with them several times or even spent a lot of money on their products that they have a right to probe in their personal lives .

Not the case ,what goes on behind closed doors is none of my business or anyone elses when it comes to a situation like this .

I'm sure it was a rough time for all involved and still is . Rather than jump ship or question what the future will hold just be positive. 1 person does not make a company regardless of who's name is on the knives or the door . These aren't hand ground custom knives , they are machined with hand work .

What I mean is Chris is not in the shop grinding steel and making every single knife , that would effect things but employees running machines not so much.

I'm aware of the handwork that's done with CRK as well. Mr reeve stated he tried to inspect as many knives as he could , but I'm confident he trained everyone in that shop and they are fully capable of making the knife or knives they've been making for years.

I'd wager a nice chunk of change that if this information was withheld from the public that no one would ever know that Chris is no longer a part of operations .

As far as employees getting terminated or leaving again not my business and only those at that facility know what happened .

The only thing that's important IMHO Is you take a 2016 knife made without Chris vs a 2004 knife made with Chris on staff. If the knives have the same quality etc . Then go about your business . If the quality is going down inform who's in charge but let's not assume that CRK knives are anything they were not 10 years ago.

My concern is that the new management will skimp on quality and trade on the reputation of the company.

The idea behind this company was to build high quality knives not depended on Chris's (or any one persons)skills alone. This was fully achieved. Anne has been a major player in the business since the start, and while internal adjustments may be made, I believe the customer will not suffer. Their personal life is just that personal, but I wish them all the best.

None of my business!
I hope Anne considers using a different blade steel(CPM-20CV, CTS-204P):confused:

If they made one with a different blade steel I would be all over it. Not that there is anything wrong with the current steel because I own a few at the moment but I would certainly buy another with a different steel if offered.

An important thing to note is that I asked if he was gone. Dindnt need or want to know why. Those reasons don't really matter.

I understand the worry and the intrigue about what is going on. We are fans and some of us have a sizable amount of money invested in their products. (Some as investments)...

The worth of Sebenzas made during the Chris Reeve era will not be negatively effected by his departure.

It might be blasphemy to say so, and I truly mean no disrespect to Chris Reeve, but am I the only one who is a little bit excited about the shake-up? Sometimes great things happen during times like these.

I'm sorry to hear about Chris leaving and the personal issues. Whilst the personal issues may or may not affect the company (we're not robots), it is still sad. In the case of custom makers, in many cases where there's a divorce etc, the personality/output is affected - I do not know if this applies to a larger-scaled production company. But I'm not an unfeeling robot, when I hear about family issues, it does make me stop and ponder.

That being said, looking ahead, I hope Anne reconsiders making the large regular sebenza again, with and upgraded steel like M390 or CTS204P or CPM20CV, run at a higher RC like 61 or 62 for M390. Whilst the quality of the knives are unquestionable, I feel CRK is somewhat falling behind in terms of embracing new steels/developments in the knifemaking landscape - perhaps this might change in the future.

I wish the Reeve family and CRK only the best.

The only thing that's important IMHO Is you take a 2016 knife made without Chris vs a 2004 knife made with Chris on staff. If the knives have the same quality etc . Then go about your business . If the quality is going down inform who's in charge but let's not assume that CRK knives are anything they were not 10 years ago.

I don't see the forums flooded with QC complaints but I wouldn't expect that to be the case as generally complaints are not received well here.

In my own experience the past 4/5 CRKs I received have needed a trip back to CRK. 2 of them will not be brought to a standard I accept as they are within spec of CRK but not what I expect for the amount I paid.

One was returned to me after 12 weeks in the shop and it was returned outstanding. My only complaint is they forgot to return my lanyard pin but I decided to replace it myself rather than go though CS.

2 are waiting to go in.

Additionally 2 more were also considered in spec via pic and sold as again not up to what I expect.

1 of my last 7 has come out of the box in outstanding condition.

From my understanding Angela, Alycia and the other agents are not making these decisions, therefore CS is not to blame but it has not been at all what I used to get from Heather. I've tried to bring it up the chain which is how I personally found out about some of these changes.

There are a lot of details left out obviously but from where I sit, out of my first probably 15 Sebenzas 1 came kinda dull. It was out of the shop the following week and it came with an offer of a t-shirt IIRC.

One of my recent 7 has been up to that quality.

So growing pains or just a matter of management strategy, I'm not sure if it's the new manager (not Anne) Isaac Rickets or perhaps Anne, I don't know. Maybe I am just picky compared to where I was years ago.

It might be blasphemy to say so, and I truly mean no disrespect to Chris Reeve, but am I the only one who is a little bit excited about the shake-up? Sometimes great things happen during times like these.

Absolutely feel the same way. Putting the 25 into the Inkosi family was just an example of how the company is shaping their future. Seeing the LH small Inkosi being in production sooner is another example, I just don't see how that is a bad thing. I feel CRK is heading into a sustainable future. Didn't CRK win another quality award at Blade this year ???

Some people cannot be pleased either way. I'm excited to see what changes. I know the quality is the same as ever. But I'm happy to see what will be offered.

Yes Justin. I think you are probably picky. I bet I could have spent five minutes with any of them and fixed them. If they can deal with customers like you it makes me realize why they go above and beyond for customers like me.

Last edited:
Am I the only one bothered by this if it is true? I mean....Chris is "Chris Reeve Knives".

Bothers me a bit. Like others have mentioned personal issues aside. That's no ones business really. I'm talking the guy that created all this being gone.

Am I the only one bothered by this if it is true? I mean....Chris is "Chris Reeve Knives".

Bothers me a bit. Like others have mentioned personal issues aside. That's no ones business really. I'm talking the guy that created all this being gone.

I agree with you Mr Bear. Feels like the soul of the company is gone.
I feel bad for Chris, I know how I would feel if I was cut out of my life's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back