Is Chris Reeve gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you Mr Bear. Feels like the soul of the company is gone.
I feel bad for Chris, I know how I would feel if I was cut out of my life's work.

Don't feel too bad. U don't know why or how it happened. Things happen for a reason.
Until we have something to worry about . There is nothing to worry about.

Some people cannot be pleased either way. I'm excited to see what changes. I know the quality is the same as ever. But I'm happy to see what will be offered.

Yes Justin. I think you are probably picky. I bet I could have spent five minutes with any of them and fixed them. If they can deal with customers like you it makes me realize why they go above and beyond for customers like me.

You might be right, some people have low expectations. I admit I have high expectations from a $500+ knife. An off center blade, chamfers that don't meet. Machine marks left on a scale. Maybe on a cheap knife. But not on a Sebenza.

Am I the only one bothered by this if it is true? I mean....Chris is "Chris Reeve Knives".

Bothers me a bit. Like others have mentioned personal issues aside. That's no ones business really. I'm talking the guy that created all this being gone.

I don't know if he is completely out or just out of day to day operations(as I had previously been told), and moving to consulting and design(which would be my hope)

I think Chris Reeve said it best himself in the Blade HQ shop tour vids. He mentions that "when you buy a Ferrari, you are paying for the performance, not the name". With Ferrari, you are buying a product that is manufactured based on the reputation, brand, and quality control system set up by Enzo Ferrari, not for a car he personally designed or built (especially since he died decades ago). I think Chris built a fabulous company and reputation, and a set of customer expectations, that will carry CRK forward to do great things in his absence.

Could be an exciting time moving forward @ CRK... a little uncertainty can be exciting!

To me, it makes my CRK's from the "Chris Reeve" era even more dear to me...

Lastly, my condolences on the dissolution of your marriage Chris & Anne. :(

You might be right, some people have low expectations. I admit I have high expectations from a $500+ knife. An off center blade, chamfers that don't meet. Machine marks left on a scale. Maybe on a cheap knife. But not on a Sebenza.

Hey. You said you might be picky in your post. I agreed with you. No low expectations here. Im a perfectionist and so my work refelects that. So its easy for me to see what most will not.
That said u have way more money invested in the company than I. So that can play a big role I guess.

I think they make the same mistakes they always did. Not better or worse.

To be honest, i was pretty shocked the first time i heard about the divorce. It kinda hit me hard because ive followed the company for a while now. Its sort of like finding out some good friends youve known for a while are splitting up.

I feel the company is in good hands though with Mrs. Anne. I do keep hearing/reading that Chris is also a "consultant"? Id really feel relieved if i knew Chris was still able to design/tweak some things..

For all you Star Wars fans, i guess its similar to when George Lucas sold his rights/franchise over to Disney. He doesnt call the shots anymore, but hes there/available if Disney needs him lol

Wasn't it Lucas that brought us that JarJar thing? Maybe him not calling the shots was a win.

Am I the only one bothered by this if it is true? I mean....Chris is "Chris Reeve Knives".

Bothers me a bit. Like others have mentioned personal issues aside. That's no ones business really. I'm talking the guy that created all this being gone.
Agree!

If Chris Reeve is no longer with the company, that ruins it for me! Anybody with a little capital and a cnc machine can build a knife. Chris Reeve seemed like a visionary to me. My interest in crk products is now extremely low. I also feel than Ann Reeve needs to shine light on this issue to all the loyal customers on this discussion board.

i started buying their knives back in the 90s, never met either Chris or Anne, and i'm sure they don't know me. But what a ride, I have enjoyed watching the development and buying their products over the years. i'm sure they both poured their lives into that business, divorce can take it's toll on the person and the family. Nothing's permanent if ya don't roll with it & adapt, you'll dry up.
If this is true and not gossip. Then I wish the best to both of them, and thanks for building one of the best knives in the world.

Last edited:
For me as long as the quality remains it is still a CRK. As someone else also said perhaps this will be the inroad to some better steel.

Well, glad I got my IDAHO MADE 21 a few years ago. Hope CRK will continue as a premier knife maker/design firm.

CRK has a reputation for excellence, and IMO they're not going to screw it up by dropping the ball on quality and consistency. Even in the best of circumstances, the founder of ANY company cannot run it forever. Nobody is immortal; nobody's time in the spotlight is forever, and no successful company can continue on into the future on the shoulders of one man (or woman) alone.

I for one will continue to enjoy and use the few CRKs that I own. Anything else is really none of our business, and I have no interest in attaching any outside drama to my love of good knives.

Jim

Yup, well said. It was always just a question of when. Maybe a few years sooner than we all hoped. No worries here.

Sad news....

I stopped buying CRK knives when they insisted on putting that fugly "Idaho Made" stamp on the back in place of MM stamp. I did however keep all my old CRK knives. :)

Sad news....

I stopped buying CRK knives when they insisted on putting that fugly "Idaho Made" stamp on the back in place of MM stamp. I did however keep all my old CRK knives. :)

You are not alone, I quit buying new CRK's about three years ago. I was never a fan of the IM stamp and don't care for the changes made to the Mnandi. I now only purchase older CRK's off the secondary market.

You are not alone, I quit buying new CRK's about three years ago. I was never a fan of the IM stamp and don't care for the changes made to the Mnandi. I now only purchase older CRK's off the secondary market.

agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back