Is Chris Reeve gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As with any family owned business, transitions are difficult and only 1/3 of family business survive past the second generation. In family owned knife manufacturing, I believe Ruana, Buck and Randall have lasted to three generations or more. Anyone else?

To me the strange part of this business transition is the secrecy. I checked the website, there is nothing about the founder, Chris Reeve, leaving the company. There is nothing about who is now running the show. Since it is a privately held company, succession doesn't have to be discussed, but the fact the founder leaves (Chris Reeve is the subject of the website's "About" page) deserves an official mention in the firm's history. There are a lot of people who believe the "Chris Reeve story" and with his departure now it's over and the "Chris Reeve Knives" story begins. It takes only a few days to draft and post the continuing CRK story on the website.

Does anyone know who bought Chris Reeve out?

I was able to find info on Chris departing (in 2015), in the History section of their site.

This is a quote(Anne) from their website and unless something has changed is how it is:
"2015 also saw the withdrawal of Chris from daily operations into semi-retirement; he continues to contribute to design and consulting. Of writing, the staff at Chris Reeve Knives is 40 people strong - a talented and motivated group who ensure our worldwide reputation for quality, functional knives continues. We look confidently to the future where Chris Reeve Knives will show that exceptional design and quality craftsmanship are always desired."

As in all things, time will tell. Plenty of CRK designs out there for purchase.

Last edited:
In the company brochure that was given away at blade show this was in the "History of Chris Reeve Knives" section. I wish nothing but the best for the company, Chris and Anne. I will still be a loyal customer and supporter.

I see that Chris Reeve Knives got the 2016 Blade Show Manufacturing Quality Award. Way to go, Anne!

I've owned 2 crk's, I'll have more in my lifetime. I'm not too bothered about this because as many have mentioned Anne was literally there from the beginning. And not in just a vague "I gave him support" kind of thing but literally worked for the company. She doesn't come off to me like a dope, nor do I feel like she'll all of the sudden reduce the tolerances on the machines just to save a few pennies.
I think it's safe to say this is her passion too, and the fact that she's still letting Chris be involved shows she's not arrogant. Amiable divorces are rare, but they do happen.

In the company brochure that was given away at blade show this was in the "History of Chris Reeve Knives" section. I wish nothing but the best for the company, Chris and Anne. I will still be a loyal customer and supporter.

So the Sebenza 25 would be the last knife designed by Chris and put out by CRK with him still at the helm. How collectable are they now? :D

If Chris Reeve is no longer with the company, that ruins it for me! Anybody with a little capital and a cnc machine can build a knife. Chris Reeve seemed like a visionary to me. My interest in crk products is now extremely low. I also feel than Ann Reeve needs to shine light on this issue to all the loyal customers on this discussion board.

No she does not. Chris and Anne's private life is their own and Anne does not need to come here and answer your tawdry questions. You don't want to buy the knives anymore........then don't. But respect peoples right to have a life outside of the knife business.

It may interest everyone to know that this arrangement at CRK has been the case for over a year already.
As you can all see quality, delivery and new products are all of the same high standard and nothing has changed. Chris continues to give design and manufacturing input and the knives are the same super high quality.

Anne has in fact been essentially running the company alone for some years now as Chris really has not been a daily part of CRK for some time. Anne knows exactly what she is doing and she is one of the most capable people I know.

I stand to be corrected but CRK will once again make history as the only USA in-house knife manufacturer, owned and operated by a woman.

So the Sebenza 25 would be the last knife designed by Chris and put out by CRK with him still at the helm. How collectable are they now? :D

I can imagine the possibility that Chris has more designs, concepts or tweaks that have yet to see the light of day. When something new is released, it's likely the design has been in the works for years.

Jim

I can imagine the possibility that Chris has more designs, concepts or tweaks that have yet to see the light of day. When something new is released, it's likely the design has been in the works for years.

Jim

No doubt, which is why specifically said "So the Sebenza 25 would be the last knife designed by Chris and put out by CRK with him still at the helm.". Maybe the nautical reference was a stretch.

No she does not. Chris and Anne's private life is their own and Anne does not need to come here and answer your tawdry questions. You don't want to buy the knives anymore........then don't. But respect peoples right to have a life outside of the knife business.

It may interest everyone to know that this arrangement at CRK has been the case for over a year already.
As you can all see quality, delivery and new products are all of the same high standard and nothing has changed. Chris continues to give design and manufacturing input and the knives are the same super high quality.

Anne has in fact been essentially running the company alone for some years now as Chris really has not been a daily part of CRK for some time. Anne knows exactly what she is doing and she is one of the most capable people I know.

I stand to be corrected but CRK will once again make history as the only USA in-house knife manufacturer, owned and operated by a woman.

wrong if they market the knives based on the history of the company and the ideas and innovation of Chris reeve then it should be made public if he is no longer associated with the company.

I really wish this thread would be closed . The Reeves marriage is none of any bodies business but their own . To the guys wanting to know so bad call Anne Reeve yourself I'd say call Chris but I'd bet a seven you'd get a mind your own Damn business for your answer.

I don't think this changes anything anymore than knowing what has already been stated on the CRK Website for a while now....

Chris is not involved with the company's operations anymore. The reason is really irrelevant in terms of how that effects things for you on a personal level, or how that may, or may not, effect the company moving forward.

I think the "Drama" portion of this thread needs to be dropped. The circumstances are not important, at some point CRK was going to be a company that would have been without Chris one way or another, just like a lot of companies we all still respect and support, the founder is no longer there, but the vision still very much is.

Everyone will have to make decisions based on what happens going forward and whether changes that are made are for the better or worse.

Their marriage is none of our business. They mentioned he is gone in the literature and website so that's really all that matters. It is public knowledge now.

I hope CRK continues to put out quality knives. I'd really like to see Chris start a new company but suspect at his age starting a whole new company is likely not at the top of his list. I hope I'm wrong. It would be cool to see both entities continue on making knives.

I really wish this thread would be closed . The Reeves marriage is none of any bodies business but their own . To the guys wanting to know so bad call Anne Reeve yourself I'd say call Chris but I'd bet a seven you'd get a mind your own Damn business for your answer.

This thread had evolved into a discussion of CRK's future, which is our business as avid customers. If we keep focused on that, it's a good thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back