• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

My Experience with Gavko Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with your statement is that you forgot I was talking about a knife. A cutting Tool. The car was a bad analogy but it was just that, an analogy. The knife isn't beat to shit, it has not been run over or misused. It became dull and someone sharpened it. That's what you do. It's very simple really, blade replacement should be covered under basic warranty. In Gavko knives case, it isnt.

You literally said that it was sharpened wrong and has a slight recurve to it. That's not covered under warranty. It has completely been misused if it was sharpened improperly. If it was just dull and resharpened you wouldn't have need for another blade. End of story. And if you bring up car warranties as compared to knife warranties as an analogy, then use them correctly.

And you are right, it is very simple, you bought a custom knife (you know, one offs, even from batch to batch) second hand that needed a blade replaced and you expected it to be covered by warranty. That's not appropriate. No successful small business can maintain that level of "customer service" and keep the lights on in the office.

If I go beat up a $10 knife or a $1,000 knife, or sharpen it wrong, then that's on me. Not the maker. Remember, warranties cover items that are used correctly. Normal wear and tear things like wheels (because why not? Let's use another car analogy), bearings, and brake pads all have limited warranties because these are things that fail over time regardless. And you will be damned sure no one will do a warranty replacement on ANYTHING if it is used improperly. Blades as well.

Anyways, not sure why you are so upset over this. People wonder why small business owners can't make a living and aren't sustainable yet demand more and more from them. I would never buy anything that had issues second hand and expect the manufacturer to make things right for me. If they can, sweet, if not, no sweat. You should have asked Gavko BEFORE buying the knife if a blade replacement was a possibility.

W_cole W_cole A blade that is improperly sharpened, or properly done so with intent to modify, would void any warranty on the blade because it was either misuse or abuse of the blade or is modified. There is no warranty that would cover this now some companies might still cover it but just because they have the resources to cover it in their customer service.

Thanks for all the support guys and thanks for the constructive criticism to those who provided it. I love a good debate. I'm going to stop while I'm ahead and have this blade fixed by a third party. I would like to keep the thread going but this is turning into flat out name calling. Starting to argue about off subject matters.

I will leave this post up for potential customers in the future. They can make up their mind on being a customer or not.

Thanks again everyone.

And you are right, it is very simple, you bought a custom knife (you know, one offs, even from batch to batch) second hand that needed a blade replaced and you expected it to be covered by warranty. That's not appropriate. No successful small business can maintain that level of "customer service" and keep the lights on in the office.

I did not expect it to be covered. Hence the reason I offered to pay for such services. Twice.

The problem with your statement is that you forgot I was talking about a knife. A cutting Tool. The car was a bad analogy but it was just that, an analogy. The knife isn't beat to shit, it has not been run over or misused. It became dull and someone sharpened it. That's what you do. It's very simple really, blade replacement should be covered under basic warranty. In Gavko knives case, it isnt.
That doesn't make any sense to me.

Is the problem cosmetic? ie. Does the knife still cut when sharpened? Then why does the knife need a blade swap from the maker? Just use it in the condition you knew you bought it in.

Has the poor resharpening caused it to become unusable? Then it HAS been abused.

You can't have it all ways. You didn't buy a NEW knife why do you deserve a NEW blade?

Sale or trade? Mako, like a Mako? Still no pics. This story has some big holes.

What are you having trouble comprehending? Big holes? Tell me your concerns and I'll see if I can dumb it down for you.

I obviously had to keep the sellers identity unknown. Sale/Trade. Does it matter? The outcome is still the same, no help from Gavko.

I would love to hear these holes you speak of.

I did not expect it to be covered. Hence the reason I offered to pay for such services. Twice.
You never addressed my question - if he said yeah I'll make you a new blade - the cost is 700 bucks how would you have felt?

FWIW you have already made your bed, time to lie in it.

From the outside I'll tell you what it looks like:

It looks like you found a beatup used gavkoo and thought hey maybe I can get this thing pay X for it + Y for new blade and still come out ahead of the Z they normally command on the secondary market.

It is not unreasonable to think that 50% or more of the time crafting a folding knife could be spent on the blade itself. Were you willing to pay 50% of the current market rate for his knives for the blade - I didn't see it in the communications exchanged.

You never addressed my question - if he said yeah I'll make you a new blade - the cost is 700 bucks how would you have felt?

It looks like you found a beatup used gavkoo and thought hey maybe I can get this thing pay X for it + Y for new blade and still come out ahead of the Z they normally command on the secondary market.

It is not unreasonable to think that 50% or more of the time crafting a folding knife could be spent on the blade itself. Were you willing to pay 50% of the current market rate for his knives for the blade - I didn't see it in the communications exchanged.
He hasn't responded to mine, either. I don't think there is a good chance he will.

You literally said that it was sharpened wrong and has a slight recurve to it. That's not covered under warranty. It has completely been misused if it was sharpened improperly. If it was just dull and resharpened you wouldn't have need for another blade. End of story. And if you bring up car warranties as compared to knife warranties as an analogy, then use them correctly.

If I go beat up a $10 knife or a $1,000 knife, or sharpen it wrong, then that's on me. Not the maker. Remember, warranties cover items that are used correctly. Normal wear and tear things like wheels (because why not? Let's use another car analogy), bearings, and brake pads all have limited warranties because these are things that fail over time regardless. And you will be damned sure no one will do a warranty replacement on ANYTHING if it is used improperly. Blades as well.

Anyways, not sure why you are so upset over this. People wonder why small business owners can't make a living and aren't sustainable yet demand more and more from them. I would never buy anything that had issues second hand and expect the manufacturer to make things right for me. If they can, sweet, if not, no sweat. You should have asked Gavko BEFORE buying the knife if a blade replacement was a possibility.

Essentially what I was getting at in my previous post. And as someone who's also trying to make a living through selling his creations, I greatly appreciate the sentiment.

Why do you think the knife costed 1000 dollars? I simply stated that some of his knives can reach as high as 1000$. I never once stated that my knife in question costed that much. So to answer your question, if he told me it would cost $700 dollars for a new blade I would have declined. Because the knife NEW wasn't even $700. That would be a huge mark up on his end.

I didn't answer the question originally because it's a stupid question. You didn't know the facts and just assumed.

Without any further clarification this is exactly what it seems like to me.

Not sure why someone whose somewhat-shady scheme had failed would double down on it and post about it here. *shrugs*

interesting thread, I'd love to see this knife that was sharpened so poorly you feel the only option is to replace the blade. If it was broken or damaged as a result of poor manufacturing i'm sure he would have covered any necessary repairs, but you are requesting a cosmetic job. Makers get requests like this all the time from people looking to get a spa treatment so they can flip a knife at a higher price. Honestly, all your replies read like entitled whining and excuses to bash a self made maker that has done a lot of good in this community. You bought an abused blade, resharpen it or sell it...don't try to turn it into Gavko's fault because he doesn't have the time or patience to deal with your request.

If the knife isn't that badly sharpened, then why is this such a problem? Sharpen it yourself or send it out to a professional sharpener to get the job done right.

It was a problem. Now it's getting fixed. Don't worry about it.

Seems the maker would be more helpful and I think most would and sorry to see anyone go through that but since you're willing to pay for getting it right the idea of sending it to Josh at REK or one of the other members here that Im sure would be happy to work with you and get it right if the maker doesn't want to stand by his product ... that might be the best option.

Without any further clarification this is exactly what it seems like to me.

Not sure why someone whose somewhat-shady scheme had failed would double down on it and post about it here. *shrugs*

Shady scheme? In the OP I stated I fell in love with his knives and wanted a couple. How did you get that from That? So let me get this straight, you thought I bought a Gavko knife and that I was willing to send it in and willing to pay 2 to 3 hundred dollars for a new blade. Get that knife back from Gavko and sell it on the secondary market for 300 dollars less then what I hade into the knife.

Yep, that makes sense. FYI a used Gavko runs 450 to 485 on the secondary market. Nice try though. I wasn't scheming anyone, I simply wanted a new blade in my new knife (Well, new to me).

What are you having trouble comprehending? Big holes? Tell me your concerns and I'll see if I can dumb it down for you.

I obviously had to keep the sellers identity unknown. Sale/Trade. Does it matter? The outcome is still the same, no help from Gavko.

I would love to hear these holes you speak of.
Is this a custom Mako or a midtech? Was your knife from AliExpress, originally? Where be the pictoral images? Did you fill out the form, yet?

interesting thread, I'd love to see this knife that was sharpened so poorly you feel the only option is to replace the blade. If it was broken or damaged as a result of poor manufacturing i'm sure he would have covered any necessary repairs, but you are requesting a cosmetic job. Makers get requests like this all the time from people looking to get a spa treatment so they can flip a knife at a higher price. Honestly, all your replies read like entitled whining and excuses to bash a self made maker that has done a lot of good in this community. You bought an abused blade, resharpen it or sell it...don't try to turn it into Gavko's fault because he doesn't have the time or patience to deal with your request.

Nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back