• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

My Experience with Gavko Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting thread, I'd love to see this knife that was sharpened so poorly you feel the only option is to replace the blade. If it was broken or damaged as a result of poor manufacturing i'm sure he would have covered any necessary repairs, but you are requesting a cosmetic job. Makers get requests like this all the time from people looking to get a spa treatment so they can flip a knife at a higher price. Honestly, all your replies read like entitled whining and excuses to bash a self made maker that has done a lot of good in this community. You bought an abused blade, resharpen it or sell it...don't try to turn it into Gavko's fault because he doesn't have the time or patience to deal with your request.

I haven't posted a picture because I chose to keep the original sellers identity a secret. The reason being that his post is still up. As for flipping the knife for a profit, I wasn't. I would have lost money on the knife even with a new blade.

Do you guys research anything before commenting? A NEW Custom Gavko Mako is $675.00 how much profit do you think I could make on a used one? Lmao.

Why do you think the knife costed 1000 dollars? I simply stated that some of his knives can reach as high as 1000$. I never once stated that my knife in question costed that much. So to answer your question, if he told me it would cost $700 dollars for a new blade I would have declined. Because the knife NEW wasn't even $700. That would be a huge mark up on his end.

I didn't answer the question originally because it's a stupid question. You didn't know the facts and just assumed.

If he can spend two hours building a replacement blade for your knife or spend four hours building a whole new knife that he can sell to someone else for a thousand bucks...then the cost of your replacement blade is 500 bucks. Not because that's how much it cost to make the blade necessarily but because that's the lost revenue from swapping jobs to placate you, you can do that math right?

He doesn't owe you anything. 2 hours spent building a replacement blade is 2 hours not spent doing something else that he can make money from.

All of my time and math is completely hypothetical. I am just trying to illustrate to you that there are costs that I think you may be failing to account for.

Thought so.

And this situation is entirely of your own making, "bud." No doubt you made this thread hoping everyone would assist you in shifting the blame, but, just like your plan with this knife, things don't always go one's way.

Best of luck with your situation.

In situations like this, pictures are a must. All we or Gavko can go by is what you say and in one post it sounds like the blade is trashed and in the next it sounds like some time on the stones will bring it back to a useable condition.
Show us what you're working with and we'll be able to give much better advice instead of the guess work that stems from imaging what it looks like through your words.

I haven't posted a picture because I chose to keep the original sellers identity a secret. The reason being that his post is still up. As for flipping the knife for a profit, I wasn't. I would have lost money on the knife even with a new blade.

Do you guys research anything before commenting? A NEW Custom Gavko Mako is $675.00 how much profit do you think I could make on a used one? Lmao.
So take your own pictures.

Is this a custom Mako or a midtech? Was your knife from AliExpress, originally? Where be the pictoral images? Did you fill out the form, yet?

It's a midtech, I never stated that it wasn't.

AliExpress? I don't know what that is. It was received in a trade.

I've already posted why I won't post pictures. Please read before commenting.

Form? What form?

Your questions have more holes in them then my story does lmao.

So every time he makes a custom knife he should make sets of backup parts for it? That is not how the custom process works. That is how the "production knife " process works. That's why Buck can replace it and now this maker. Key concept thing.

And knives do not need new blades unless somebody ruins the blade.
Is it unreasonable to think that someone who spends 1000$ on a custom knife would buy it as a lifetime cutting tool ?
I guess buy once cry once doesn't apply ?
Is it impossible for him to try and keep at least a couple spare blades for each model he comes out with ?
There aren't very many of his knives out there, and most probably won't get sharpened enough to need a new blade but this one was and it could happen again.

If he can spend two hours building a replacement blade for your knife or spend four hours building a whole new knife that he can sell to someone else for a thousand bucks...then the cost of your replacement blade is 500 bucks. Not because that's how much it cost to make the blade necessarily but because that's the lost revenue from swapping jobs to placate you, you can do that math right?

He doesn't owe you anything. 2 hours spent building a replacement blade is 2 hours not spent doing something else that he can make money from.

All of my time and math is completely hypothetical. I am just trying to illustrate to you that there are costs that I think you may be failing to account for.

2 hours for a blade? That sounds right. 4 hours for a whole knife?? Wow, yeah your math makes sense only if it takes 4 hours to make a new knife. You and I both know that's untrue. So, no I can't comprehend your math because it doesn't make sense.

Is it unreasonable to think that someone who spends 1000$ on a custom knife would buy it as a lifetime cutting tool ?
Is it impossible for him to try and keep at least a couple spare blades for each model he comes out with ?
There aren't very many of his knives out there, and most probably won't get sharpened enough to need a new blade but this one was and it could happen again.

Yes. True. And in fact, high end custom makers should really include a couple free backup blades with their knives.

Research like researching that Gavko doesn't replace blades before buying a knife of his whose blade is damaged beyond repair?

Best of luck with your situation.

This is the third time you said "goodbye" on this thread. Either stay or go. Don't come in here making little smart ass remarks here and there. If you want to debate then stay. If not, good riddance.

2 hours for a blade? That sounds right. 4 hours for a whole knife?? Wow, yeah your math makes sense only if it takes 4 hours to make a new knife. You and I both know that's untrue. So, no I can't comprehend your math because it doesn't make sense.

Your right on a midtech neither matters. The cost of a blade is essentially the cost of a knife. Each blade taken means 1 less folder right? So 575 sounds about right based on your prices stated earlier. If your blade had a flaw that was a manufacturing defect then I could see looking for a replacement but because some one flubbed it...lol.

Just enjoy your knife. It probably still cuts just fine.

That's ridiculous. If he replaces one customer's blade he needs to replace them all. Not feasible at all. And your buck comparison is apples to lawnmowers.

Your right on a midtech neither matters. The cost of a blade is essentially the cost of a knife.

How do you figure that!? So you're saying on a midtech knife the blade is the cost of a knife? So the titanium handles, ceramic ball bearings, hardware, pocket clip, backspacer cost nothing? The whole cost of the knife is in the blade? You 're so far off it's not even funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back