New ZT0550 Thread !!!

Buying local has it's benefits...

On that side of town anyway, so a return trip to 'check' the centering of his other three knives. All open/close identically. One was centered - the other two were like mine - 40/60. He said to take it and return mine when I could! Wow! So, I now have another 0551 - my original is boxed - they look identical. It really was pointless, but what a great gesture! I am happy.

Stainz

Buying local has it's benefits...

On that side of town anyway, so a return trip to 'check' the centering of his other three knives. All open/close identically. One was centered - the other two were like mine - 40/60. He said to take it and return mine when I could! Wow! So, I now have another 0551 - my original is boxed - they look identical. It really was pointless, but what a great gesture! I am happy.

Stainz

Take it and return when you can?

Jeebus...that sounds like a kickass shop!

-Freq

If anyone is planning to get a ZT 0550, PM me or email me as I have a great tip that won't last past noon tomorrow, Pacific Time ;)

The lock engagement is perfect both opening and closing, and my blade is centered. I do have a different problem though. My 0551 #541, came with a very uneven edge bevel. I'm trying to convince myself that it's worth the trouble to send it in to be corrected. Or, should I just re-profile it on my EdgePro?

Thoughts.....suggestions?

Last edited:
You were asking for opinions,right?

Personally,I'd send it back.
I don't own an EdgePro.....yet.

And even if I did,my level of sharpening skills would still make me send it back....unless I had racked up an awful lot of mileage a-drivin' that EdgePro.

JMO!

They'll make it right.

~Gnarly

The lock engagement is perfect both opening and closing, and my blade is centered. I do have a different problem though. My 0551 #541, came with a very uneven edge bevel. I'm trying to convince myself that it's worth the trouble to send it in to be corrected. Or, should I just re-profile it on my EdgePro.

Thoughts.....suggestions?

Mine came with pretty uneven bevels also but like you everything else was really nice. I say use it and enjoy it and fix those bevels later. Mine looks good now.:cool:

008-18.jpg

012-21.jpg

Ive Polished some edges before on my edge pro , but never quite that good ......
Great lookin edge .......... dj

Thanks for the comments, guys.

You were asking for opinions,right?

Personally,I'd send it back.
I don't own an EdgePro.....yet.

And even if I did,my level of sharpening skills would still make me send it back....unless I had racked up an awful lot of mileage a-drivin' that EdgePro.

JMO!

They'll make it right.~Gnarly

Yes, opinions are welcome and I appreciate yours. I have a fair amount of time on the EdgePro, with successful results. I'm still kind of on the fence though.

Mine came with pretty uneven bevels also but like you everything else was really nice. I say use it and enjoy it and fix those bevels later. Mine looks good now.:cool:

008-18.jpg

012-21.jpg

prime77,

What's your succession of stones and polish tapes on the ZT0551? I have an EdgePro Apex, so I only have up to 600 grit. I do have 3000 grit polishing tapes. I don't think I can get mine to the level that yours is on. I need to order a couple stones and some higher grit tapes from Ben when I get a chance. Did you strop with diamond paste after sharpening on the EdgePro?

Wow, prime!! That is not an edge I have the time or need to put on my blades but it sure if beauty!!:thumbup: I've done it in the past, but yours if just gorgeous. My knives would have that polish ruined before noon of the first day's use so I don't put that type of edge on my users. I like to play around with polishing edges for fun sometimes.

Excellent work!

008-18.jpg

012-21.jpg

What's your succession of stones and polish tapes on the ZT0551? I have an EdgePro Apex, so I only have up to 600 grit. I do have 3000 grit polishing tapes. I don't think I can get mine to the level that yours is on. I need to order a couple stones and some higher grit tapes from Ben when I get a chance. Did you strop with diamond paste after sharpening on the EdgePro?

I used DMT Stones Coarse through EEF. Then polished the edge with DMT 6,3,1 micron paste on leather. Lots of patience and I have been touching it up daily on the 1 micron strop so the edge finish improves each time. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with Elmax. It seems to hold the razor hair whittling edge alittle longer than I expected and takes a really good polish.

I got mine last week. Id have to say its an awesome knife but there are a few things that I didn't like about it. It came with uneven bevels, the detent is almost non-existent(I can easily wrist flick it open), theres machining marks on the thumbstud and it developed up down play after using it for only a week. Its an awesome knife and is probably one of my favorites, but I am a little dissapointed with the QC. Should I just suck it up, or send it to Kershaw for repairs? Also would they be able to fix my problems?

If you send it in it will come back working perfectly. If you don't, it might not fix itself.

I got mine last week. Id have to say its an awesome knife but there are a few things that I didn't like about it. It came with uneven bevels, the detent is almost non-existent(I can easily wrist flick it open), theres machining marks on the thumbstud and it developed up down play after using it for only a week. Its an awesome knife and is probably one of my favorites, but I am a little dissapointed with the QC. Should I just suck it up, or send it to Kershaw for repairs? Also would they be able to fix my problems?

From what I hear, their customer service is top notch. I haven't had to use them, but if the day comes I won't hesitate. Give them a call a get it taken care of if you are not happy.

Back