OT: Survivor Sidekicks (photos)

Ahh that makes sense. I wasn't sure how old they should be to train for that.

Day one with a lab. Its in their blood. I had one one time, idk how old he was a stray that just showed up. But he was 110% retriever 24/7. No matter when you got up in the morning he would bounce right up with you. We wound up giving him to a family friend and he said his three girls spoil him. (He thought he was gonna get a hunting dog.)

Day one with a lab. Its in their blood. I had one one time, idk how old he was a stray that just showed up. But he was 110% retriever 24/7. No matter when you got up in the morning he would bounce right up with you. We wound up giving him to a family friend and he said his three girls spoil him. (He thought he was gonna get a hunting dog.)

I started doing a lot of retrieving stuff but not actual hunting training. He learns quicker than my friends so he'll be fine haha

Just got back from a quick camping trip with the family, the pup did great (was only his second time out) and only barked a few times:

Awesome shot Redwood! He's almost ready for his own backpack.

We actually thought about it this trip, but thought he might be a bit young still (only 2) but he could have used a raincoat or one of those hunting back covers the first night as froo froo as that sounds....the tent still smells of wet dog hahaha

here is one in my buddies jeep

Haha it's funny looking but they work. One of my old clients used to put raincoats on her Heelers when she was working her ranch. I'd be worried about them getting to hot though.

Haha it's funny looking but they work. One of my old clients used to put raincoats on her Heelers when she was working her ranch. I'd be worried about them getting to hot though.

haha yea, he looks goofy enough last thing he needs is clothing... its a work in progress taking him camping we will work on it... I really like the idea of a backpack though, help tire him out.

Well it's been a little bit over 2 months since I lost my Boston to cancer so one of these Red Queensland Heeler females might be getting adopted soon. I'm going to see them on Sunday and I'm still on the fence about it but my parents and friends know I've been in pain since she passed. Who would've known that a damn dog could turn me into a softy.
So here they are. I'll have my hands full with one of these brats.
f271d39d8a01c8490bf9f6bfd683adbd.jpg

44a3ea1ed863088c36a10d525f1f07fb.jpg

bc6348a7b9f10316bdbe3935d51b7cd9.jpg

My friend Kelly made a good point by saying that I don't choose the dog, the dog chooses me. At least they're all pretty cute!

I had an Australian Shepherd as a kid growing up. 'Rowdy' he was always 90mph he didn't slow down even in old age till he got hit by a truck. That kinda took the spunk out of him. He was a damn good dog. Trained pretty good, and loyal till the day he passed. I figure that'll be the first dog I get my son. I hope the right one steals your heart bud. They look like good dogs.

Thanks bud!
Cattle dogs just seem to be great animals. My first dog was Australian Shepherd/Lab mix and she was the same damn way. Non stop until it got dark outside plus she was sweet and loyal. That'll be a great dog for your little dude.

Standard, this is seriously great news. I've heard good things about this breed. How old are those puppies? When I met Roxie for the first time it definitely felt like she was the one doing the choosing. Let us know how things go on Sunday!

Thanks SN!
My parents kinda gave me a talk and said I need to snap out of it and move on because I've been a little grouchy and temperamental.
These pups are 6 weeks old so they're a little to young to separate from the mom. I'm hoping that one of them works out well so I can bring it home in a couple weeks and start the fun process of training. I talked with my new Vet and she laughed because Heelers are a completely different animal to train compared to Boston Terriers. Maybe I'll pick the laziest one to make my job easier!

Dogs are family, I don't blame you for being grumpy!

We were able to take our dog home at 8 weeks. There were 2 sisters we got to pick from and we thought it would be best to take the mellow, easy going one. But like I said it wasn't really us who did the choosing so we ended up with the one that kept attacking my wife's purse and our feet.

Dogs are family, I don't blame you for being grumpy!

We were able to take our dog home at 8 weeks. There were 2 sisters we got to pick from and we thought it would be best to take the mellow, easy going one. But like I said it wasn't really us who did the choosing so we ended up with the one that kept attacking my wife's purse and our feet.

Haha it sounds like she's a handful!
Was she hard to train?

Haha it sounds like she's a handful!
Was she hard to train?

Going into it I had zero experience and nothing to compare it to. With out having raised a puppy before it seemed like a month long nightmare. We had to watch her every second to make sure she wasn't peeing on the carpet or chewing up a flip flop. She is really smart and wanted to please us, so once she started figuring things out she was great. We didn't have kids yet and put all our energy into her, so she was always leading the way in obedience classes.

I guess I'll have my hands full. I'm really glad I haven't torn the carpet out of my living room and spare room to re-do the hardwood floors because I'm sure there'll be a lot of accidents happening.

The hyper ones tend to always train better in my experience. You just gotta figure out their niche to get them to focus that energy and do good with it instead of burn it up digging and chewing on stuff.

Any new dog will never replace Gracie, but they can make the moving on more bearable. Good luck.

Last edited:
Any new dog will never replace Roxie, but they can make the moving on more bearable. Good luck.

There's a lot of people and dogs to keep track of here, but we're mourning Standard's Gracie, my Roxie is doing just fine :)

Your sentiment is right on :thumbup:

Back