Performance: Forged vs Stock Removal

Science and art are not opposites. Good science is based on good experimental design and creative thinking. These are artistic qualities. Art is based on knowing the chemical and physical properties of your medium coupled with technical skill. These are scientific qualilties. Art and science are like the yin and yang, complementary but part of a whole.

Gator68, I think you are only hearing what you want to hear.

You just aren't getting it, but that's O.K.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself...

If you don't like the way I look at it, that's fine.
However, I am as qualified as anyone, if not more so,... to teach this craft the way I see it.
I certainly don't need your approval. :)

Last edited:
Gator68, I think you are only hearing what you want to hear.

You just aren't getting it, but that's O.K.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself...

If you don't like the way I look at it, that's fine.
However, I am as qualified as anyone, if not more so,... to teach this craft the way I see it.
I certainly don't need your approval. :)
I have never questioned your qualifications, have I? Of course you do not need my approval, or anyone else's. You have made your own path, and seem very successful at it. As I have said, I admire your work and own one of your knives. I bought it because I think your work is inspiring.

I could repeat your words right back at you and we'd be no farther along... "you only hear what you want to hear ... you just aren't getting it..."

Perhaps you could point to some examples of people trying to "discredit you"?? Or promote "science" as the end-all and be-all of science?

Do you agree that many, if not most, knifemakers do not see making knives as first art and then function?

Why are you soooo against metallurgy??

I'm not against metallurgy, "if" it's properly interpreted, applied and kept in perspective. I'm all for that! I've said that many times... Evidently many people consider me a metallurgist and a scientist,... although I don't see it that way.

Any “formal training” that I know of in metalsmithing, or knifemaking/bladesmithing is handled through the art department in the colleges and universities, and through private schools. I actually taught these things at a university and a college, including heat treating, totaling about 8 years and have taught privately for over 20 years. Try going to any science department at any university or college and ask them why they don’t offer courses in knifemaking/bladesmithing and try to convince them that they are sciences. If nothing else,… it should be good for a laugh. :)

I bet they'll tell you the same thing I'm telling you.

Last edited:
You hear bad science, false science, junk science and whacky crack pot scientific theories in this business all the time,… which can be very detrimental to the art. I’ve said it, Kevin has it, Michael has said it… That’s the obvious truth! It’s a given! The problem is that we don’t all agree on which is good science and which is bad science, (just like scientists)… within the context of the art of knifemaking/bladesmithing.

Just because information is presented under the banner of science or sounds scientific, doesn’t mean it’s correct. I know my friend Kevin Cashen would agree…

I’d rather hear that a knife has a soul or good vibes, or that it‘s art… at least that seems harmless.

This is not the scientific community…

Is it ever O.K. for an art to pretend to be a science?

You hear bad science, false science, junk science and whacky crack pot scientific theories in this business all the time,… which can be very detrimental to the art. I’ve said it, Kevin has it, Michael has said it… That’s the obvious truth! It’s a given! The problem is that we don’t all agree on which is good science and which is bad science, (just like scientists)… within the context of the art of knifemaking/bladesmithing.

Just because information is presented under the banner of science or sounds scientific, doesn’t mean it’s correct. I know my friend Kevin Cashen would agree…

I’d rather hear that a knife has a soul or good vibes, or that it‘s art… at least that seems harmless.

This is not the scientific community…

Is it ever O.K. for an art to pretend to be a science?

Please read the entire thread, and explain to me where the art goes into making these knives, beyond Wayne Goddard's designs?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473537&highlight=wayne+goddard

I would say that without the underlying science(and applied technology) these knives would not be possible.....and this has very little to do with "instinct" or "soul"

here is the website with knives:

http://www.diamondbladeknives.com/productList.aspx?category=Knives&productGroup=Summit

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
well that answers that question- forged blades are higher performance than stock removal blades!
Now where can I get one of those rope cutting machines?;)

LOL :D Kohai999

Welcome back skull dude! But,...Halloween isn't until October. I might need a "Halloween decoration" then. :)

You'd have to pay me to try and explain anything to you! :D

Last edited:
LOL :D Kohai999

Welcome back skull dude! But,...Halloween isn't until October. I might need a "Halloween decoration" then. :)

You'd have to pay me to try and explain anything to you! :D

You are not funny, Tai.

There is much that you have done that is worthy of praise, but you sully it with a childish manner and immature ramblings.

The information and facts are presented to you directly, without any editorial, and you immediately go on the offensive, peppered with insult.

Attack the information, not the informer....that is the way of both the real artist, and the scientist, is it not?

STeven Garsson

Mr.K.999/666, I'm not intimidated by a wannabe Karate dude, or pretend authority, as the likes of you... The only balls you got are in your mouth.

Wayne G. and I go way back. We are friends!… Brothers of the cause. We don’t agree on everything, but we have nothing but respect for each other as “bladesmiths“ and professionals. We have more in common than not…

Don't come out here and try to ruin that!

… Same with Cashen and I. We try our best to dispel myths about our craft, from our own perspectives…. I respect that! If you can't appreciate it, go crawl back under your flaming bush,... and give your left hand a phucking a break! Get a wash cloth dude!

Go read the "$50 dollar Knife Shop"… and check out Kevin’s website.

Last edited:
Tai,

I don't do karate....if you have any questions about art I do practice, ask your student, Aaron.

Don't avoid the subject at hand or as presented....where is the art in the making of the knives in the provided links? Can you attack the information, not the informer? Are the big words giving you a headache?

I spoke to Wayne on the phone last night, and am very familiar with Kevin's website, and speak to him on the phone or in person occasionally, at least once every 6 months...how about you?

STeven Garsson

Mr.K.999/666, I'm not intimidated by a wannabe Karate dude, or pretend authority, as the likes of you...

Wayne G. and I go way back. We are friends!… Brothers of the cause. We don’t agree on everything, but we have nothing but respect for each other as “bladesmiths“. We have more in common that not…

Don't come out here and try to ruin that!

… Same with Cashen and I. We try our best to dispel myths about our craft, from our own perspectives…. I respect that! If you can't appreciate that, go crawl back under your flaming Jack o lantern, and give your left hand phucking a break! Get a wash cloth dude!

Go read the $50 dollar Knife Shop… and check out Kevin’s website.

Last edited:
Tai,

If you have any questions about art I do practice.

STeven Garsson

No thanks! Your art, as I see it, is just gross! Kids do that and grow hair on their palms!

... And leave my students out of it!... or go talk to them yourself,... if you feel inclined...

No thanks! Your art, as I see it, is just gross! Kids do that and grow hair on their palms!

... And leave my students out of it!... or go talk to them yourself,... if you feel inclined...

You're well on your way to being banned.... Why are you getting so offensive?

And as pointed out before, you make a mockery of yourself....man, Tai, if you would just work the 12 steps....THINK about what you would accomplish! I do talk to Aaron, he is an excellent person, you should be proud to have such a top-notch person amongst your followers.

Realizing that you have a problem would be a start.....

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Yes, It is a pleasure to have Aaron as a student, and talent is acknowledged.

However you,... are nothing but a hopeless gossip,... and worthless piece of skull!

Go get a job at "Entertainment Tonight"!

Yes, It is a pleasure to have Aaron as a student, and talent is acknowledged.

However you,... are nothing but a hopeless gossip,... and worthless piece of skull!

Go get a job at "Entertainment Tonight"!

You have really advanced your position of "artist" with this, Tai.....you did not address one area covered in the links I provided.....you insulted from word one....I have not even posted much of consequence in the last two months, and certainly nothing directed at you, and you go at it like it was yesterday.

This is really pathetic......had hoped that you would have something intelligent to say concerning the links...apparently, it was an unrealistic expectation.....and sad.

STeven Garsson

Back