Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

It looks very nice. I like a satin finish and do it to many of my knives. I like how yours turned out, I'm going to do it to one of mine..

I think Marbles is a slipjoint brand related to Rough Riders, so I'll post this Marbles Handyman's Helper II here. It's one of the knives I received in an April Fool's buying spree. It's an all-stainless single-spring two-blade penknife with a built-in 16-inch folding ruler! Cool is the rule!! :thumbsup::D:cool::cool:
Mark side (for the knife, obviously not for the ruler) with ruler deployed:
3RPLqTC.jpg

Flip it over to see the ruler marked in both metric (cm) and Imperial (in) units:
rhzd1GI.jpg

All folded up:
tGqq93E.jpg

What's that model again??
nghmBp7.jpg

- GT

I think Marbles is a slipjoint brand related to Rough Riders, so I'll post this Marbles Handyman's Helper II here. It's one of the knives I received in an April Fool's buying spree. It's an all-stainless single-spring two-blade penknife with a built-in 16-inch folding ruler! Cool is the rule!! :thumbsup::D:cool::cool:
3RPLqTC.jpg

Flip it over to see the ruler marked in both metric (cm) and Imperial (in) units:
rhzd1GI.jpg

All folded up:
tGqq93E.jpg

nghmBp7.jpg

- GT

Cool

3RPLqTC.jpg

rhzd1GI.jpg

All folded up:
tGqq93E.jpg

nghmBp7.jpg

- GT
Thanks for the memories!
My maternal grandfather (a carpenter, by trade) had a few of those in his (home made) wood toolboxs. (Back then, it was pretty much expected for a carpenter to make their tool boxes, to show they have the skills (or lack them - if shoddy workmanship on their toolbox) to work on a jobsite.)

Pretty cool, never seen one of those.
Thanks for the memories!
My maternal grandfather (a carpenter, by trade) had a few of those in his (home made) wood toolboxs. (Back then, it was pretty much expected for a carpenter to make their tool boxes, to show they have the skills (or lack them - if shoddy workmanship on their toolbox) to work on a jobsite.)
Thanks for the positive feedback, guys! :cool:
Here's another Marbles knife I ordered at the same time. It's called a Marbles Workman trapper, but it's really more like a scout knife variant. It has a spear main, a bail, an inline Philips, a flathead driver/wire stripper/caplifter blade, stainless steel, and G-10 covers.
hKONb7d.jpg

aQZqZ7s.jpg

Note the little ruler on the pile side of the main blade! :thumbsup:
CsL7xho.jpg

- GT

Here's another Marbles knife I ordered at the same time. It's called a Marbles Workman trapper, but it's really more like a scout knife variant.
That would make a good electrician's knife. :thumbsup: The shield is nifty!

I don't have any of the new Chinese manufactured Marbles. Are they owned by the same company that owns Rough Rider and Colt Knives? From the two examples you've shown, it seems they are open to making some creative variations to traditional patterns.

How would you say they compare to Rough Riders? I wonder if they're made in the same factory?

I think they all come the same factory. I have a Marbles Scout knife that is exactly the same as a Colt I also have, except for cover material.

I like the looks of that G-10, GT. :)

I didn't have a Sowbelly and after reading all the positive reviews I thought I would give one a try.
I picked this up yesterday at the flea market for 10 bucks. I wonder if it is suitable to try my hand at scrimshaw? I dont really know where to start,
But it looks to be a great way to relax.
_20170423_200303.JPG

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys! :cool:
Here's another Marbles knife I ordered at the same time. It's called a Marbles Workman trapper, but it's really more like a scout knife variant. It has a spear main, a bail, an inline Philips, a flathead driver/wire stripper/caplifter blade, stainless steel, and G-10 covers.
hKONb7d.jpg

aQZqZ7s.jpg

Note the little ruler on the pile side of the main blade! :thumbsup:
CsL7xho.jpg

- GT
Good looking knife.
How does it feel in hand and pocket?
Are you going to add it to your EDC collection?
That phillups could come in handy if you need to replace the pencil sharpener in your classroom. ☺

That would make a good electrician's knife. :thumbsup: The shield is nifty!

I don't have any of the new Chinese manufactured Marbles. Are they owned by the same company that owns Rough Rider and Colt Knives? From the two examples you've shown, it seems they are open to making some creative variations to traditional patterns.

How would you say they compare to Rough Riders? I wonder if they're made in the same factory?

I think they all come the same factory. I have a Marbles Scout knife that is exactly the same as a Colt I also have, except for cover material.
r8shell, I agree with LastRodeo. My understanding is that Marbles and Rough Riders are made in the same factory for the same company, and that Colts used to be (the Colt brand for knives seems to have gone belly up recently). You could say Marbles makes some creative variations, but some of their variations don't work for me! (There are versions of that Workman that replace the philips driver with a worthless tiny hammer or a little adjustable wrench. :thumbsdown:) I have lots of Rough Riders and a few Colts and Marbles knives, and I'd say the Colts/Marbles are probably intended to be an upgrade over RR. They usually cost a little more (maybe because some of them have upscale packaging), they often have "blingier" bolsters, and as r8shell pointed out, they're not "plain vanilla" traditional patterns (e.g., "swoopy" blades, unusual cover treatments, etc.). I think my Colts are probably the most "bomb-proof" knives I have, and most of the Marbles are also very hefty, solid knives (but that may be due to the particular patterns I happen to have in those brands - I don't have any 3-inch or less Colts or Marbles, but I have several small RRs).

Good looking knife.
How does it feel in hand and pocket?
Are you going to add it to your EDC collection?
That phillups could come in handy if you need to replace the pencil sharpener in your classroom. ☺
Thanks, Steve. It feels pretty good in hand, although at 4 1/8 in, it's bigger than what I like to carry. It will definitely be in my EDC rotation; I carry ALL my knives. I don't even have a safe, so how can I have safe queens?? :confused:

- GT

Boy, Mike, a picture is worth a thousand words! ;) The Colt and Marbles camp knives are doppelgängers! (I have the Marbles camp knife on my wish list for "Part II" of my spring knife purchase frenzy. :thumbsup:)

Here's another Marbles knife I picked up in Part I of my spring fling. I have a couple of Marbles with ram's horn handles, and I like them a lot. I also have a Marbles stag bone sowbelly stockman (thanks, Randy) that I think is first-class. So when I saw that Marbles has a ram's horn sowbelly, it went right to the top of my wish list! :cool: The covers are a little paler in color than my previous Marbles ram's horn, but still very desirable to me!
cho3jSu.jpg

v5NN8m6.jpg

(As a variation on Mike's theme, here's a Colt sowbelly stockman in "black stag" stag bone from a couple of year's ago. I think it bears some resemblance to the Marbles sowbelly I just acquired.
LZU7raj.jpg

M9LIZe0.jpg
)

- GT

Cool thread! Here are some of my Chinese Knives. My only Rough Rider at the moment is this orange smooth bone stockman. By far the best 10 bucks I've ever spent on a knife. It's a fantastic user. I like it so much I have a RR stag congress on the way!

6B77A210-DC14-4350-A164-DA2F19579A31_zpsuvtz8lcn.jpg

This Taylor Old Timer is pretty decent but not perfect. Each of the blades have a really sloppy blade stop. The sheepsfoot and spey are also thinner than I'd like. Overall though it performs well and gets pocket time.

CB2647F6-6852-4798-AE74-8676DD1C70C4_zpsgtmf7mw7.jpg

These are kinda half Chinese I reckon since they are supposedly assembled in Germany. Tree Brand Large stockman and razor jack. The stockman has nice strong backsprings and feels very sturdy. I am impressed by these but neither get much pocket time.

9D3397CF-9659-444E-9EBE-19817334A60B_zpsrqsxhwcx.jpg

Back