Survival knife ?

Fair enough. I know it's likely wishful thinking here, but is the spine on it able to strike a firesteel? Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

the only portion of the blade where you'd be able to do this is where the primary grind line terminates at the spine. The rest of the spine is chamfered, and I think it should stay that way. If Nate incorporates an exposed pommel, it's possible you could strike a steel on that, provided it's left unchamfered

Ok. I just see it called the survival knife and think that's important for survival. Scraping a firesteel and tinder is just as important as batoning wood, which any decent outdoors knife can do. I keep thinking of it as a "one tool" kinda knife.

If somebody wants to grind a flat on their spine it won't hurt my feelings, but the knives leaving my shop will cut with their edge and nowhere else. Every other surface is chamfered and smoothed. I know that isn't popular with some folks who want to be able to throw sparks from the spine but I feel a knife, as a cutting tool, should be hand friendly on all surfaces except the cutting edge. I see a knife with a burr or unbroken edge that isn't a cutting edge as unfinished and potentially dangerous. People who want a particular kind of spine detail that is sharp will need to grind that themselves, that's not a detail I want to put on my knives. Sorry.

If somebody wants to grind a flat on their spine it won't hurt my feelings, but the knives leaving my shop will cut with their edge and nowhere else. Every other surface is chamfered and smoothed. I know that isn't popular with some folks who want to be able to throw sparks from the spine but I feel a knife, as a cutting tool, should be hand friendly on all surfaces except the cutting edge. I see a knife with a burr or unbroken edge that isn't a cutting edge as unfinished and potentially dangerous. People who want a particular kind of spine detail that is sharp will need to grind that themselves, that's not a detail I want to put on my knives. Sorry.
NOW I want 3!!!:thumbsup:

seriously, if you have the presence of mind to carry a flint, you ought to be smart enough to have a steel to strike it. Because this knife is intended to be able to clear an area, build you a solid shelter, and any wood tools you might need, it's really important that you can use it for a long period of time without damaging your hands

stiking your flint with a the blade on a knife this large is a recipe for disaster

pro tip; carry a couple lighters.

But isn't a "survival knife" supposed to be able to adhere to its premise and the promise to be able to keep you alive by performing crucial tasks such as hunting for your food, gathering your supplies, building you a shelter, keeping predators at bay all on its own, all the while when you're sitting on your porch enjoying some BBQ'd ribs, knocking back a few cold ones and once in a while gleaning at that "survival knife" just to make sure that it's faithfully fulfilling the purpose which it's charged with?!

Why call it a survival knife at all? Call it the PACK , for instance, ie, Pack About Carothers Knife . Hey, let's start a new suggestions thread (not).

I'm not saying that using a knife to throw sparks is a bad idea. But I'm also not saying it's a good idea either. To each their own. But my knives are fully finished, if someone wants to modify one for a particular task that's their prerogative.

It's gonna kill me to take a file or belt sander to the spine of a nice new Carothers.

I'm not saying that using a knife to throw sparks is a bad idea. But I'm also not saying it's a good idea either. To each their own. But my knives are fully finished, if someone wants to modify one for a particular task that's their prerogative.

At least I got a solid answer on the matter. Thanks.

Now I want 4!:p Carry a Bic, works better when your cold and freezing!!

I never use my knife to throw sparks. I don't understand the obsession with it. My flint has a steel attached for that dedicated purpose and it's super light.

Last edited:
But isn't a "survival knife" supposed to be able to adhere to its premise and the promise to be able to keep you alive by performing crucial tasks such as hunting for your food, gathering your supplies, building you a shelter, keeping predators at bay all on its own, all the while when you're sitting on your porch enjoying some BBQ'd ribs, knocking back a few cold ones and once in a while gleaning at that "survival knife" just to make sure that it's faithfully fulfilling the purpose which it's charged with?!

Mat,

I'm going to make this simple for you, because I know you are a busy guy.

This is NOT the Survival knife.

This is the Fluffer. 20+ pages of keeping us excited and it doesn't even exist in it's final version that we know about.

If you must have a gimmicky save your but kinda knife that has a whistle, flint & ferro rod, compass, fishing line, fishing hooks and more all built in they already exist.

Come here for a pro tool that will keep you going for hours.

I'm not on board with the name "fluffer", but I'll still try to snag a couple if Nathan decides to name it a fluffer in his infinite wisdom! You've gotta watch out for the dapper Mr. JF because he's very good at couching a discussion ala the name to his favor :)

Back