TiSpine LionSteel new knife 2013

Une petite question : la clé permettant le démontage du clip est-elle envoyée avec le couteau ?

Je ne conserve jamais un clip sur mes couteaux.

A small question: the key to the removal of the clip goes with the knife?

I do never keep a clip on my knives.

(Order 2507)
No the key tool is not included.

Wait a minute. I never keep a clip on my knives either. Are you saying that the only way I can remove the TiSpine clip is to go out and purchase an SR-1? (PS: The idea of releasing a knife that requires a special tool to do something as simple as removing the clip without including that tool with the knife is, to quote 101st Airborne Division Commander General Tony McAuliffe at the Battle of the Bulge, NUTS! It's also a deal-breaker if you don't include that tool with the TiSpine or I can't purchase it separately for a VERY reasonable cost!)

Last edited:
Oui, c'est très dommage car un clip quand il n'est pas fraisé dans la masse du titane n'est pas beau. Moi aussi je dépose toujours les clips de mes couteaux sauf si c'est un clip GTC.
Je souhaite vivement que la clé du SR1 soit compatible avec la vis du TiSpine. Autrement, il serait souhaitable que la vis du clip soit d'un modèle standard démontable avec un outil que nous avons tous dans notre boîte à oitils.

Yes, it is a great pity because a clip when it is not milled in the mass of the titanium is not beautiful. Me too I have tabled still clips of my knives unless it is a GTC clip.
I hope that the key of the SR1 is compatible with the TiSpine screw.
Otherwise, it would be desirable that the screw of the clip is a removable standard model with a tool that we all have in our toolbox Toolkit.

Wait a minute. I never keep a clip on my knives either. Are you saying that the only way I can remove the TiSpine clip is to purchase an SR-1? (PS: The idea of releasing a knife that requires a special tool to do something as simple as removing the clip without including that tool with the knife is, to quote 101st Airborne Division Commander General Tony McAuliffe at the Battle of the Bulge, NUTS! It's also a deal-breaker if you don't include that tool or I can't purchase it separately for a VERY reasonable cost!)

Inconvenient .... maybe. Nuts .... wouldn't go that far. Take a look at some of the hardware used by many custom makers (special 3, 4, and 5 hold pivot and scale screws) .... or even some of the very expensive pieces by Stan Wilson where his screws (pivot and scale) are completely hidden (he made a special tool to assemble these knives). In this case, with the TS1 .... would hardly call it a deal-breaker. The pocket clip can EASILY be removed with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Would recommend covering the pocket clip screw first with a piece of tape, cloth, or drawer liner to lessen the chance of putting marks on the titanium handle, clip or clip screw. It only takes a little twist to loosen the screw. From there, you can completely remove it just using your fingers. Oh, and by the way .... the SR1 tool is compatible with the clip screw on the TS1.

Don't get me wrong, grenade14. I absolutely LOVE the TiSpine. But I wouldn't think of buying a TiSpine OR ANY OTHER KNIFE from a manufacturer so myopic as to make it impossible to take the clip off. :thumbdn:

Inconvenient .... maybe. Nuts .... wouldn't go that far. Take a look at some of the hardware used by many custom makers (special 3, 4, and 5 hold pivot and scale screws) .... or even some of the very expensive pieces by Stan Wilson where his screws (pivot and scale) are completely hidden (he made a special tool to assemble these knives). In this case, with the TS1 .... would hardly call it a deal-breaker. The pocket clip can EASILY be removed with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Would recommend covering the pocket clip screw first with a piece of tape, cloth, or drawer liner to lessen the chance of putting marks on the titanium handle, clip or clip screw. It only takes a little twist to loosen the screw. From there, you can completely remove it just using your fingers. Oh, and by the way .... the SR1 tool is compatible with the clip screw on the TS1.

Sorry d.r.h. This isn't some kind of custom knife. It's a production piece. If LionSteel can include the tool needed to remove the clip with the SR-1, they can include it with the TiSpine. And I'm not about to run the risk of messing up the handle by trying to take the clip off without it. Do you really think LionSteel would honor their warranty if I did that?

Last edited:
Sorry d.r.h. This isn't some kind of custom knife. It's a production piece. If LionSteel can include the tool needed to remove the clip with the SR-1, they can include it with the TiSpine.

I've got no choice but to call BS on this one.

My point is that it is far from being a HUGE problem. It's not like a Torx screw or allen screw where you actually NEED the proper size Torx or allen bit to remove the screw. This thing can be removed with ANY set of pliers. Needle-nose would be best because of the thin tip, but any set of pliers would work. Heck .... only maker I know of (production or custom) to include any kind of tool is CRK (though LionSteel was thoughtful by including one with the SR1 series). Like I said, hardly a deal breaker and certainly not BS. But, ultimately .... this is a call individuals will have to make in deciding to purchase the TS1.

That still begs the question of why LionSteel includes a special tool to remove the clip with one knife but not with another. I mean, does the SR-1 need the tool more than the TiSpine does? I don't think so. If anything, it seems to me that a gentleman's folder like the TiSpine would be a likelier candidate for clip removal than a utility folder like the SR-1. Does LionSteel include the tool with the SR-1 because they value SR-1 customers more than TiSpine customers? If they do, they're making a big mistake. When I'm not looking at TiSpines, I buy William Henrys. And while I appreciate your suggestion, I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near a TiSpine handle with a pair of needle-nose pliers. One slip and the party's over. I do agree with one thing you said, however. This is a call individuals will have to make in deciding whether to purchase a TiSpine, and it's a real simple call for me. Unless LionSteel makes some kind of accommodation for providing the clip removal tool at little or no cost to TiSpine customers who request it, I will pass on the TiSpine and never look at another LionSteel knife again.

By the way, I have to acknowledge grenade14 for saving me the aggravation and expense of having to return the knife. I would NOT have been happy had I purchased a TiSpine, found out that I needed a special tool to remove the clip, and not been able to locate that tool in the package.

Last edited:
There is no tool in the TiSpine because I do not want that the users take away the clip. The second purpose of the clip is to avoid the over extension of the locking bar. tiSpine do not have the RotoBlock that make this job.

Last edited:
?......I will pass on the TiSpine and never look at another LionSteel knife again.

By the way, I have to acknowledge grenade14 for saving me the aggravation and expense of having to return the knife. I would NOT have been happy had I purchased a TiSpine, found out that I needed a special tool to remove the clip, and not been able to locate that tool in the package.

I can not understand you.... If you do not like LionSteel knives you are not obligated to buy them, there a so many knives in the market.
Anyway, please, have rispect to all of them that have spent money to buy our knives.

Yes, it is a great pity because a clip when it is not milled in the mass of the titanium is not beautiful. Me too I have tabled still clips of my knives unless it is a GTC clip.
I hope that the key of the SR1 is compatible with the TiSpine screw.
Otherwise, it would be desirable that the screw of the clip is a removable standard model with a tool that we all have in our toolbox Toolkit.
I confirm you that the SR key tool works also for the TiSpine clip screw.

Not for nothing but there is a difference between the SR-1 and the TiSpine as it relates to the tool. That is that the SR-1 also utilizes a pivot screw that requires the aforementioned tool for adjustments. This tool is specialized for the adjustment of the SR-1 pivot screw. The pivot on the TiSpine doesn't use the tool for adjustment. For me (and the vast majority of would be TiSpine purchasers) the lack of a tool that only serves to remove the pocket clip would not be considered necessary, not only because we like pocket clips on our folding knives, but also because in the rare instance that we did want to remove the pocket clip, I'm sure we could easily manage without it. Just my .02.

Just to add to (actually correct) one thing gottahavit27 mentioned. The pivot on the TS-1 uses a T9 torx for adjustment. The pivot on the SR-1, however, really does not need the special tool for adjustment (even though it is included). The center part of the pivot screw is actually a hex (allen) .... 2.5 I believe. While you can use the tool on the pivot of the SR-1, it's not really needed.

Avec ou sans outil, j'ai hâte de recevoir le mien.

Et puis j'ai l'outil chez moi.

With or without tools, I can't wait to get mine.

And then I have the tool for me.

Canon001_zps1234a6f0.jpg

Canon006_zps1b3ba972.jpg

There is no tool in the TiSpine because I do not want that the users take away the clip. The second purpose of the clip is to avoid the over extension of the locking bar. tiSpine do not have the RotoBlock that make this job.
Thanks, Gianni. I wasn't aware that the clip added to the structural integrity of the handle and should NOT be removed. I assume that if a user removes the clip and damage to the knife results due to lock bar overtravel, that damage would not be covered under warranty. (To quote the LionSteel warranty, "LionSteel’s warranty policy does not cover any damage caused by disassembly . . .".) So users who choose to disassemble the clip from the knife do so at their own risk. Is that correct? The reason I ask is because clip removal is a pretty standard practice for those who prefer deep pocket or sheath carry, and most manufacturers do not void their warranties in whole or in part for removing the clips from their knives.

Last edited:
Thanks, Gianni. I wasn't aware that the clip added to the structural integrity of the handle and should NOT be removed. I assume that if a user removes the clip and damage to the knife results due to lock bar overtravel, that damage would not be covered under warranty. (To quote the LionSteel warranty, "LionSteel’s warranty policy does not cover any damage caused by disassembly . . .".) So users who choose to disassemble the clip from the knife do so at their own risk. Is that correct? The reason I ask is because clip removal is a pretty standard practice for those who prefer deep pocket or sheath carry, and most manufacturers do not void their warranties in whole or in part for removing the clips from their knives.

This is a good point. I'm curious to hear the answer to this as well. It does seem a little strange that the clip would be necessary to provide structural integrity to the locking bar. I'm not aware of this being the case with any other framelock knife.

This is a good point. I'm curious to hear the answer to this as well. It does seem a little strange that the clip would be necessary to provide structural integrity to the locking bar. I'm not aware of this being the case with any other framelock knife.
The knife is born with clip. The clip has like second purpose to avoid the over extention. If you take away the clip you will not have this security. But you are in the same situation if you take away the clip in a Sebenza knife.

That may be true. But Chris Reeve is aware of the fact that some Sebenza owners don't like to use pocket clips. CRK actually goes so far as to provide Titanium clip inserts that Sebenza owners can purchase to cover the cavity left in the handle when the clip is removed. I doubt they'd do that if removing the clip voids the warranty, an issue you have not addressed yet. So I'll ask you the question one more time.

Does removing the clip from a TiSpine constitute "disassembly" as that term is referred to in the LionSteel warranty, thereby voiding the warranty for any resulting damage to the knife?

Again, please understand that I'm asking this question because, whether you know it or not, removing the clip from a pocket knife is USUAL AND CUSTOMARY for a certain percentage of your customers. If these customers are not specifically instructed that removing the clip from their TiSpines voids their warranty, it's your responsibility, not theirs.

Last edited:
The knife is born with clip. The clip has like second purpose to avoid the over extention. If you take away the clip you will not have this security. But you are in the same situation if you take away the clip in a Sebenza knife.

Much more clear. This is what I thought that you were saying. Thanks.

Back