What is your favorite small fixed blade carry knife (under 5" black length)?

The short fixed blades that work for me are: Mora Eldris, Esee Izula, CRKT Siwi, CS Mini Leatherneck (my current favorite).

Yes, I’m a member of the Cheapskate Club.
I wouldn't put that set in the cheapskate club. The first three while not overly expensive are very well made knives if the niche they fill. The cs may fall in the cheapskate category... Maybe... I have a few of them cs knives and some of them are harder to find a more refined version without spending a substantial amount of money. If the economy version of a knife performs very well and you don't see a real return on investment and use until to hit the $200 plus range then it may not cheap it may be smart. Maybe your a smartskate. Show me your best gas station fixed blade 😉

I don't regularly carry a fixed-blade knife simply because, generally, the need isn't there. At this moment, however, were I to begin carrying one with a blade of less than 5 inches, it would probably be my tried-and-trusty Condor Bushlore. It fits my hand perfectly and has performed every task I've ever asked of it.

Condor Bushlore.JPG

Recognize, though, that next week it might be something else.

Last edited:
Jürgen Schanz (sheath by me):

vyaaM2L.jpg

s8qw9Wt.jpg

I wouldn't put that set in the cheapskate club. The first three while not overly expensive are very well made knives if the niche they fill. The cs may fall in the cheapskate category... Maybe... I have a few of them cs knives and some of them are harder to find a more refined version without spending a substantial amount of money. If the economy version of a knife performs very well and you don't see a real return on investment and use until to hit the $200 plus range then it may not cheap it may be smart. Maybe your a smartskate. Show me your best gas station fixed blade 😉
Thanks for the compliment, Blindmouse. I only meant cheapskate in comparison to the $200++ big boys around here lol. I love knives, but spending big dollaroos on them isn’t my thing.

Yup, there are definitely quite a few ‘good enough for the job’ options within the $150 or $100 range.

Thanks for the compliment, Blindmouse. I only meant cheapskate in comparison to the $200++ big boys around here lol. I love knives, but spending big dollaroos on them isn’t my thing.

Yup, there are definitely quite a few ‘good enough for the job’ options within the $150 or $100 range.
I didn't buy a fixed blade for 5 years or more after I got a mora Bushcraft Black. It was the lt wright northern hunter in 3v that opened the floodgates again. But still I can't fault the mora.

Absolutely! I understand the need for a discreet, legal sub-5" everyday carry knife in North Dakota. Here are some popular options (always check local laws): fixed blades like Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter, ESEE Izula, or TOPS Mini Dangler; or folding knives like Spyderco Dragonfly, Kershaw Leek, or CRKT Pilar. Remember, prioritize legality and focus on practical uses for everyday tasks.

So this is a very svelte little fixed blade from Kubey, designed by Justin Lundquist. It almost feels like one of my wife's nail files, the metal kind with a little handle. Still, the edges are rounded a bit and the Micarta is comfortable. The thin blade slices very nicely and it works here as the knife is obviously not meant for any kind of "hard use". They did go with 14C28N which is nice, tough, easy to maintain, and resistant to corrosion. The Kydex pancake sheath is decent enough but I'm not a fan of the belt attachment, which is sort of like a mini Tek-Lok... I'll have to try a few options and see what works best.

0NKj4KJ.jpeg

The only small fixed blade I have is the Fallkniven R2 Scout.
Very thick though so not slicy
Mine takes a spectacular edge using the hapstone convex tool
Possibly more fun than practical as EDC

Back