Who would buy the gso 8

I think she's sending that error photo on purpose to mess with us!
Ha!

No jimping, more blade height than the 7/7! This is it y'all!

Make it .25" thick and it will be the shiz!
The specs on the sketch say 0.19 thick, right? Or are you just being wishful? To get more heft and chop out of a blade this length, I think thicker makes more sense, but In Guy We Trust, right?

1. GUY THAT DESIGN LOOKS AWESOME!!!!! Does getting a rendering made mean it is coming closer to reality and production?

2. Ellie, thanks so much for finding a way get that pic posted while on VACATION. I hope you don't see this comment until you're back from your trip. Enjoy the time together and the outdoors!

The specs on the sketch say 0.19 thick, right? Or are you just being wishful? To get more heft and chop out of a blade this length, I think thicker makes more sense, but In Guy We Trust, right?
Ah, I see now. That is .01 thicker than the proposed 7/7 which to me is more of a fighting knife. The GSO 8 at .25 would be a camp knife to go!
With the GSO 10 at .20 having the 8 thicker would compensate for the shorter blade and make it just as useful in a smaller package.
Yes, in Guy we trust but I still have yet to find a pre-order knife I want so....... to each his own. :thumbup:

I always end up comparing and contrasting in my mind, so I thought I'd share.

New GSO 10. We know it, we love it.

GSO 8. Sorry, blurry.

GSO 7

Also, I can't stop thinking about this Fiddleback Forge camp knife (darn you, tinbanger!!!)

I do like the lack of choil and handle length and blade height, especially the blade height. This guy is only 3/16 thick and not even 8 inch blade length.

Are you talking about this one? Been doing HEAVY work.

Indeed it is, sir!

Wow, brutal. Did you baton through the tomato? Probably similar to cedar or mesquite. Right?

But seriously, I bet you unsheathed that sexy beast and the tomato just fell apart into perfectly diced cubes. :eek::D

Can you say what the blade height is? I can't find it on any website.

No jimping, more blade height than the 7/7! This is it y'all!

Make it .25" thick and it will be the shiz!

Perhaps it could be the SURVIVE! alternative to the ESEE 5/BK2, but would much more useful for batoning and chopping because of the extra blade length!?
.25" thick CPM-3V = nearly indestructible :D

Its 1 7/8"
Thanks so much for letting me know. Blade height is a spec that just isn't always listed like blade length or thickness. The almost 2 inch blade height really sets it apart. Just from seeing pics I had a feeling the height must be pretty substantial.

Perhaps it could be the SURVIVE! alternative to the ESEE 5/BK2, but would much more useful for batoning and chopping because of the extra blade length!?
.25" thick CPM-3V = nearly indestructible :D
The 0.25 would be the common theme between the 3 knives, but I think the blade length and handle length would make the 8 infinitely more useful. I have a bk2 and really like it, but I usually end up grabbing a knife that is either thinner or longer depending what I'm doing.
0.25 CPM 3V would be a force to be reckoned with!

If Guy were to say to me "Silver Needle, I need your help, are there any other changes I should make to the GSO 8?!" I'd request more blade height. But then again, I'm confident that Guy chose every detail for a reason and wouldn't seek the advice of someone who doesn't know the first thing about knife design!

Last edited:
Dave Canterbury popularized that camp knife shape as of late. French trade/ butcher knife style. Wilderness Outfitters Scout or the Battle horse Platoon both are smaller versions.
I like the big blades for show but would probably never use them.

For your info I often EDC my Busse FFBM on the farm, so I have no problems with bigger knives. They offer more capacity.
I don't count the number of times the FFBM chopped trees that blocked trails etc...
An 8 inch knife would retain most of the capacity but be lighter to carry.

I would really prefer the thinner blade over a .25 thickness. Yes it might take a little more work to split lumber but it'll be lighter.
I can drive a 16p nail with a 19oz hammer just as well as someone with a 24oz hammer and I'll be a lot less fatigued.
.190 is less than 1/16 anyhow.
db9bc240dc4375bd2067326c11dc0e61.jpg

Hahah! To be fair, Guy is the one that figured it out. I just tried doing the same thing I usually do when I am at the desktop.

Are you able to share any more details on where things are at with the 8? Is it still just an idea at this point or is it any closer to being put in production? What would need to happen to make it a reality? Thanks!

Are you able to share any more details on where things are at with the 8? Is it still just an idea at this point or is it any closer to being put in production? What would need to happen to make it a reality? Thanks!

I don't want to give too much information since the current plan could easily change. I will say that Guy really likes the GSO-8 so it will definitely be produced.

Back