Who would buy the gso 8

I don't want to give too much information since the current plan could easily change. I will say that Guy really likes the GSO-8 so it will definitely be produced.

I definitely don't want you to give up anything you're not ready to share, but I'm really excited that the 8 is a reality!!

I don't know if i missed this or not but does anyone know the blade height for the GSO 8?

I believe it's 1 3/4. It's hard to read the measurements on this photo.
6bee15d32b838013cd4f2f676da0348f.jpg

Thanks, Standard. I couldn't make it out. I was going to guess 2 inches like the 10.

Ok eagle eyes, what does it say for overall length???

I copied Guy's sketch into my CAD program, scaled and got these numbers:

The blade height seems to be 1 3/4.
Overall length should be 13 7/16.

Thanks, Standard. I couldn't make it out. I was going to guess 2 inches like the 10.

Ok eagle eyes, what does it say for overall length???

Haha I'm going with what Karoi says!
I can't squint hard enough to read the length!

I copied Guy's sketch into my CAD program, scaled and got these numbers:

The blade height seems to be 1 3/4.
Overall length should be 13 7/16.

Haha I'm going with what Karoi says!
I can't squint hard enough to read the length!

Thank you both. I really thought all those numbers like blade height and handle length would be the same as the 10. I'm confident all the specific fractions of inches have a reason behind them.

Another thought from my overactive mind:
Before the specs came out I was thinking the 8 would be thicker or have a taller blade or something to pack more power and be more similar to the capabilities of the 10, just shorter. Since I knew nothing about a mid-size chopper or "camp knife" before this thread, can anyone say if the 8 is meant as more of a compromise to performance for the sake of portability or really a competitor to the 10?

All input would be appreciated, but I have a feeling Revolver and Tinbanger have some good ideas!

Thank you both. I really thought all those numbers like blade height and handle length would be the same as the 10. I'm confident all the specific fractions of inches have a reason behind them.

Another thought from my overactive mind:
Before the specs came out I was thinking the 8 would be thicker or have a taller blade or something to pack more power and be more similar to the capabilities of the 10, just shorter. Since I knew nothing about a mid-size chopper or "camp knife" before this thread, can anyone say if the 8 is meant as more of a compromise to performance for the sake of portability or really a competitor to the 10?

All input would be appreciated, but I have a feeling Revolver and Tinbanger have some good ideas!

Please don't tell my boss I did those measurements in CAD during work hours :D
I agree with Silver Needle on having a thicker and/or taller blade. Maybe Guy could produce two versions of the 8 to keep everyone happy, though I assume there would need to be enough demand to justify that!

Please don't tell my boss I did those measurements in CAD during work hours :D
I agree with Silver Needle on having a thicker and/or taller blade. Maybe Guy could produce two versions of the 8 to keep everyone happy, though I assume there would need to be enough demand to justify that!

I'm literally emailing your boss right now :p

I don't think it's intended as a chopper though. I know Guy said the 10 wasn't either.
The wedge of the saber grind is really what is important for splitting material in my opinion. I did a test between a GSO 10 and a Junglas on a big piece of pine and the 10 split it a lot quicker most likely because of that wedge style bevel.

I would also prefer 2 inch height and .22 to .25 thick and here is the logic behind this:

If we agree that the GSO 8 should have strong chopping abilities we need a blade with a certain forward weight. This can be achieved with a ticker blade. But a thicker blade of 1.75'' height would have a more obtuse grind angle than a 2'' height blade therefore sacrificing some slicing ability.

Furthermore, because of the choil and the not overly long 8 inch blade, the GSO 8 will be more than capable to perform smaller tasks with precision even with a 2'' high blade (something that I find more difficult with a 10 inch blade.)

Finally the sabre grind and the .22 to .25 thickness will make it great to split wood with a baton.

I seriously think this will be my new go-to blade !

I don't own a BK2 or ESEE 5, but I think the GSO 8 would be better than them in every way except portability (extra weight and length). This shouldn't be a concern for most people though.

It would definitely replace my BK9. I do enjoy using the BK9, but I'm not a huge fan of the clip point and thumb ramp... it was designed as a combat bowie after all.

Last edited:
Weight wise the GSO 10 is only 4 ounces heavier than an Esee 5 and you get 4" of extra cutting length.
I love the Esee 5 but the weight is what made me sell the ones I had. They're a mean chopper though!

.25 thick and skeletonize the handle. This thing should be a beast! Anything else and it would just be too similar to the 7/7 and the 10. I do like the GSO design in general but why not try something different? The blade should have some height like RevRod is saying as well.

How about .25" thick FFG and maybe DLC/PVD coated so the steel will be a bit corrosion resistant.

Last edited:
Full flat grind is not necessary I feel. Maybe a higher than normal sabre grind would be nice.
I just feel this knife needs to be diffrrent.

Full flat grind is not necessary I feel. Maybe a higher than normal sabre grind would be nice.
I just feel this knife needs to be diffrrent.

I think part of the similarity comes from what seems to be the Survive! ethos to have a blade that is usable in all situations of survival regardless of size. I think that has already been blurred a bit with the 12, and honestly i'd love to see survive's take on something like a small kukri (like a tops DART) but outta 3V....not sure that would fit in though...

Back