Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Micartas in the poll are professionally made with superior resins under high pressure, making them very reliable and finishable. There are many other choices, made by smaller companies with lesser equipment, for more money!
I think what we have done so far will make a great-looking, durable knife, at the best price.
Now it can be said - I wanted blue Denim Micarta!! Sigh . . . . . . .:(!
:rolleyes:Ah well. . . . . . . .
:thumbsup: Next time Charlie, next time! :)

That's a whole 'nuther poll Charlie! Do you prefer Levi's, Wrangler or Lee?

The Micartas in the poll are professionally made with superior resins under high pressure, making them very reliable and finishable. There are many other choices, made by smaller companies with lesser equipment, for more money!
I think what we have done so far will make a great-looking, durable knife, at the best price.
Now it can be said - I wanted blue Denim Micarta!! Sigh . . . . . . .:(!
:rolleyes:Ah well. . . . . . . .

Stainless vs. 1095 might be a good question to put to a vote.

I hope there is a stainless vs carbon poll, but Charlie hasn't mentioned it, so I am not going to get too worked up over it. It would be great for me if this ended up being stainless. Between the micarta and hypothetical stainless it would get a lot of pocket time.

I hope there is a stainless vs carbon poll, but Charlie hasn't mentioned it, so I am not going to get too worked up over it. It would be great for me if this ended up being stainless. Between the micarta and hypothetical stainless it would get a lot of pocket time.
I also hope for a poll offering stainless.

I'd like to see a stainless forum knife (especially with micarta) but I think it's a long shot. Still, it would be nice to have a voice in the blade steel choice making it even more of a true forum selected knife.

The pattern and steel were selected for us, not by poll of members. The only voting is for what color "Rag" covers it will have.
This never was the procedure before for the Forum knife; so much for tradition.
IMHO this is not what the Forum knife was supposed to represent.
For all the business that GEC receives from forum members I would think that they also could have been more accommodating.
Just expressing my opinion. I don't feel this years project truly expresses what the Forum knife is supposed to represent.

The pattern and steel were selected for us, not by poll of members. The only voting is for what color "Rag" covers it will have.
This never was the procedure before for the Forum knife; so much for tradition.
IMHO this is not what the Forum knife was supposed to represent.
For all the business that GEC receives from forum members I would think that they also could have been more accommodating.
Just expressing my opinion. I don't feel this years project truly expresses what the Forum knife is supposed to represent.

Just curious because I've not been on the porch for long, what is the forum knife supposed to represent in your view?

Just curious because I've not been on the porch for long, what is the forum knife supposed to represent in your view?

as far back as last year's offering, for example, there were many in-depth discussions about the pattern options.

Click this link for a list of topic. http://www.bladeforums.com/search/103028/?q=2016+forum+knife&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=773

To summarize the 2016 process:

The prevailing popular opinion was to try for a 4 blade medium scout pattern following the popularity of the large 98's. So GEC was consulted and they said a 2 spring 4 blade scout pattern could not be an option because of production schedule and the difficulty of producing a large quantity of 2 spring 4 blade pattern, and we learned from GEC that if we wanted a knife it had to be on a pattern they already had on the planned production schedule. So Charley suggested a 2 blade opposite end half-scout pattern. GEC said they could do it on the new 3 3/4" Equal ender GEC was planning on producing -or- we could do it on a #15 pattern. Everyone wanted the new equal ender (which became #35 pattern). Charley suggested to the community a large main blade and punch secondary. Then there began a hunt to find a punch shape that was unique to the GEC line, and based on community feedback for a very sharp pointy punch, a punch on an older non-GEC knife was found that pretty much fit the bill. Attention turned to the main blade. A poll was created to determine Spear or Clip point and Spear won out approx 2 to 1 (it should be noted here that Charley campaigned for the Clip point blade, but popular vote was implemented and we went with Spear point). Last but not least, the discussion of handle material was focused around worm grooved jigged bone as GEC was never happy with their old method but said they had figured out a better way to do it and it barely added any cost. So at this point the options were figured out. GEC's mockup was produced and away it went.

Previous years were similar in process with other manufacturers thrown in the mix.

Here we are today discussing the 2017 knife which is basically a clone of another GEC Pattern that is going to get a Bladeforums tang stamp. Whether we all agree or not how the pattern identified was chosen, and whether we all agree or not how the blade shape identified was chosen, and whether we agree or not on how the handle material identified was chosen, at least we get to choose the handle color. This is what oldtymer oldtymer is conveying in his post. It has been done very different this year than in past years as shown above. Is there anything wrong with that? Honestly, no. The current sentiment is the annual forum knife would not continue another year without the current guys doing it so let's all stay out of their way. Truthfully it seems GEC is the only brand willing to work with us, so we're beholden to their allowances and restrictions. But at the same time, nobody external to the process is learning how to take it over in future years, perhaps because nobody has the patience and motivation to deal with goofballs like us demanding all sorts of polls and responses to our never ending stream of ideas. But at this point in time, what is the difference between the 2017 bladeforum knife and any other GEC TC Barlow? Awesome Natural Micarta and a beauty sheepfoot main with nail nick. Oh and a BF tang stamp.

(yes i'm talking out of both sides of my mouth on purpose)

Here's a much more simpler way of looking at it: I want one of these no doubt beautiful knives, but not because it's the 2017 BF Traditional Forum knife. Hmm.

Last edited:
You bring up some interesting points, jrawk.
The ongoing saga of how we arrived at this point in time is mostly touched-upon in your essay, but there is a lot more to it of course. When the dust settles, I will write up the story as I see it.
It would be too distracting right now, but suffice to say, I enjoy BF so much, I want this great interchange of ideas and knowledge to stand proud. The annual knife is just one brick in the edifice!!

You bring up some interesting points, jrawk.
The ongoing saga of how we arrived at this point in time is mostly touched-upon in your essay, but there is a lot more to it of course. When the dust settles, I will write up the story as I see it.
It would be too distracting right now, but suffice to say, I enjoy BF so much, I want this great interchange of ideas and knowledge to stand proud. The annual knife is just one brick in the edifice!!
No doubt in my mind. As a guy who does a lot of sfo's for the sport of disc golf i could probably guess 95% of the unspoken challenges and decision points were not plugged into.. Looking forward to reading your synapses.

Well said Charlie & Jrawk. Oh and I love those Denim covers. I definitely could of got behind that option. :thumbsup::rolleyes::cool:;):D

Last edited:
Hemp is more traditional than denim.
The insinuation that the forum knife has become a waynorth n gunstock gec personality cult is a little hard to swallow.
Remember! If these guys dont do all the work it wouldnt be happening. Its not forbidden for anyone else to step up and get it done. There are a couple of small details that prevent a lot of the wonderful ideas that we have coming to fruition.Availability and Cost to name a couple.Its a lot more complicated than ringing up the cutlery firm and placing an order for something entirely new and unheard of and yet totally traditional (I frankly believe we are almost out of affordable options on that level).
The forum knife is even more complicated because it has to perform on a financially viable platform as well as being acceptable to bunch of antsy fusspots who want a rainbow of options at every stage in the development.Previous years it has been like the animated building scene at the start of Game Of Thrones.Dont get me wrong.No offence meant.I have a large set of antennae,six legs and a taste for sugar.
Charlie, Barry and GEC will build us a great and special knife this year.From where I'm standing without these mens enthusiasm and passion it would have faltered and died 4 years ago.
So to Charlie ,Barry, GEC and associates I ssy a heartfelt Thank You for making it happen.

I for one am glad to have these Forum knives. I have one. A Drover. It's different enough from other GEC combinations. I lllllike it! If I thought it was appropriate, I would buy other, previous years forum knives when they show up on the exchange. Seems somehow not right since I only joined in 2016. That is probably over thinking it, but I don't care. I really don't.

maybe we need a support group - for those that missed out on their handle choice for the forum knife, and for those that missed buying one, for those that can't buy one, for those that bought one and don't like it, for those that had to return theirs to fix, for those that bought one but it was lost in the mail, and for those that sold their forum knife and now regret selling it.:)

I'm in the camp 'bought but it was lost in the mail'

I have two forum knives. One I am glad I bought, one in retrospect I wish I had passed on. I did pass on two others and have no regrets about those. No support group needed.

When and where do we send the money?
When they are ready to take pre-orders, there will be a sticky thread at the top of the forum with a link to order, price, and other information. Plenty of time yet. The poll on the handle material has not even closed yet.

Well, I have only one other forum knife, and I carry it (#77 Stagjack) often. It is sweet.

And I have only one #15 TCBarlow, a razor. I've been carrying this for a few weeks now, and just touched up the edge today.

As much as I like a good clip point, I often carry a sheep's foot.

So I NEED this one.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back