Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If everyone who has voted in the poll so far orders two, that equals 626 knives...

Just one for me. I already have like........ 10 sheepsfoot blade #15's. I'm totally sheepsfooted out. But I'm definitely buying one, while I finally have the opportunity of getting on of Charlie's Barlow.

Just one for me. I already have like........ 10 sheepsfoot blade #15's. I'm totally sheepsfooted out. But I'm definitely buying one, while I finally have the opportunity of getting on of Charlie's Barlow.

Same for me, mostly Beer Scouts and Crown Lifters. This will only be my second single-blade Sheepsfoot #15. Still, I think one will suffice. :D

I'll almost certainly only get one, but if the price is right, and I don't feel like I'm preventing an upstanding member from getting theirs....I suppose two could be a small possibility.

Can't get the cart in front of the horse though - I just HOPE to get one.

One is certainly plenty. I would be happy to be fortunate enough to have at least one.

I'd be content with one, but I'd like two. I don't have any TC barlows, and only one #15. It seems like a special knife, it'd be cool to own a couple samples.

I'll just be getting one myself. I don't feel an overwhelming affection for this knife. It is going to be a fine knife. And I like the handles. But I am just don't feel the same sense of involvement in the developing of the knife this year.

For me, keeping a knife is primarily about sentimental attachment at this point. I don't have a practical need for more knives. I buy the forum knives, whether or not they are a design I would choose, because they symbolize my connection to this community. And for me a big part of that attachment and connection is participating in the process of picking and developing the forum knife. This year's knife feels essentially like my involvement is limited to 'take it or leave it.'

Which all leaves me feeling hypocritical and ambivalent. This years knife is a pattern I like a lot. I like the handle a lot. I am grateful that we will have a forum knife this year. I appreciate the work and contributions of forum members that go into this process. I just find myself feeling disconnected from it this year.

It is what it is. I am in for one knife any year there is a forum knife.

While I am certainly glad for those that have stepped up to make this happen, I don't want to seem like I am ungrateful for saying that I am somewhat bummed out about how the last couple of knives have gone. I'm not ashamed to say that I nearly gave up on the forum knife after last years offering, since it is nearly unusable for me as it is. I am but a peon here in this forum, but I miss the ability to have some voice in what the knife will be, albeit a small voice.

That being said, I will buy one this year, and in the following years, should they continue, because I like traditional knives, and want to support this place.

I just wish it would get back to a majority vote, instead of one man's vision.

Sounds like some people think there is some sort of obligation to buy these to "support the forum" whatever that means. It is just a group special order. It is not a fundraiser to support BladeForums.

If you like the forum knife, then get one. If not, don't. But don't feel coerced in some way to buy something out of a sense of obligation. It's just a fun thing for the forum members.

I am relatively new here, love the 2016 knife, and I plan to buy one of this year's. But I realize I represent the recent growth in the interest in traditional pocket knives, and GEC specifically, that makes people nervous about the supply.

Sounds like some people think there is some sort of obligation to buy these to "support the forum" whatever that means. It is just a group special order. It is not a fundraiser to support BladeForums.

If you like the forum knife, then get one. If not, don't. But don't feel coerced in some way to buy something out of a sense of obligation. It's just a fun thing for the forum members.

+1 I was all in last year until it turned it into a gigantic knife. I don't have a problem with how this year's knife developed. It actually gives me hope that one day we might actually see a Forum Knife under 3.5", or even, dare I say, under 3"!

I have no problem with how this year’s BF knife is selected, none whatsoever. While it’s nice that forum members have some say in the selection, I think the important thing is that the knife is liked by the members. When too many people are involved, things sometimes go badly. It’s already looking like the TC Barlow will be the most popular BF knife. I very much associate the TC Barlow with BF. When I first came upon the porch, I was really attracted to the traditional knives here, though I couldn’t put my finger on what made them traditional. I remember seeing pictures of a very distinctive looking knife that really stood out for me, that I later found out was the TC Barlow. I learned that the person responsible for the knife was a member of BF and it seemed the idea for the TC Barlow was broached right here on BF. So, I for one am very pleased that this year’s knife will be a TC Barlow.

Not thrilled with the cover choice. Will likely end up with one, no reason for me to buy two.

I'll be buying one to keep my set complete, but like the last one it won't see much pocket time, if any.

I'm very excited for this years forum knife! I was not active enough last year to be involved in the process but this year is different. Interacting with the discussion, getting to vote on it etc is a lot of fun. Also IMHO the micarta on the 2016 77 Barlows looks and functions beautifully. This one will probably be just as great.

Of course as stated quite frequently before supply will be the main issue. The TC's in any variation are in very high demand at the moment. I don't know if there will be any other TC runs this year... unless I missed that somewhere? This is all speculation on my part but if no others will be made this year it will only increase demand.

I'm really not complaining though. I have tried to watch this thread and traditional forum closely to stay informed so as not to miss out on news of an early reserve. Part of that is what makes it so exciting, the chase. Through out that time I've had the chance to interact with more great people in various threads than before. Even added some other amazing knives that I was personally more excited about. It's been time well spent on the porch whether I end up with one or not. But I'll still keep my fingers crossed for one.

Last edited:
The bone linen micarta on 2016 77 barlows did look great... I'd hoped it was an option for this years forum knife, but it wasn't. Natural Canvas (picked for the forum knife) isn't the same as the bone linen on the 2016 77 barlow.

I'm up for one but no more as I have no sheepfoot Barlows. Does depend on price though....

I buy a Forum Knife when I like the pattern, don't ever collect series of knives - that's of no interest to me. I have the 08 knife (gave one away) missed the 09 due to a mix-up about overseas shipping...had the 10 one but gave it away, have the 11, disliked the 12, got the 13 (very well made indeed) and the 14 (nice example) the 15 I got eventually and have a fantastic example. 16 was of no interest to me so I left it for others to appreciate. Interesting to note that the 11,12,13,14,16&17 have all been GEC made knives, so this Forum has been an excellent customer and advert for GEC and their quality. But, if I am really honest, the 14 Stag is the only one that gets any serious use, the others don't really feature at all so I'm hoping the 17 will also be a natural user. Let's see.

IMG_3025.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back