1095 steel and rust

thanks gundude, i just finished doing a photo shoot with the knife outside and condensation got all over it. im not that worried, but it got me thinking.

Meh, a little rust never hurt anyone. If you use a rusty knife that just means your getting your daily dose of Iron. ;)

in general, i use some wd-40 on my carbon steel blades, then wipe them off clean with a soft cloth, and no problems so far
in outdoors, i just use the cloth to keep them dry, or keep them in sunlight for a few minutes, if i have the time

Do you guys think that it would be a problem to wear the Izula around my neck, under a shirt, while on a boat, fishing all day? (Ocean aka salt water.) I'd wipe it down with oil at the end of the day but I'm wondering if a full day of salt exposure will do anything to the knife. Also, I might decide to fool around a clean a striper with it. Do you think it will be ok?

Do you guys think that it would be a problem to wear the Izula around my neck, under a shirt, while on a boat, fishing all day? (Ocean aka salt water.) I'd wipe it down with oil at the end of the day but I'm wondering if a full day of salt exposure will do anything to the knife. Also, I might decide to fool around a clean a striper with it. Do you think it will be ok?
it'll be fine - even using it to gut and clean fish -- but I would remove the paracord wrap if you have one before cleaning it - the paracord will be nasty.

My Crappy glock knife that has no finish left rusts like crazy idk what kinda steel it is but when it gets reall bad I dry it and do a once over with spray paint.... Inbetween coats I use WD 40......

Best answer to this question is to come out with those 440C Izulas and we'll all buy a boatload of them. 440C handles corrosion resistance very well. Not that it's impervious to rust but a lot better IMO. :thumbup:

I am liking the bees wax idea!
Edible, light, and useful!
I got a HEST comming my way and i will be sure to try it as i live in a very humid climate.

CLP or EEZOX. Both inhibit rust like the dickens and both are quite persistant and will stay on even if used.

My izula is already starting to rust around the laser engraving even after spraying it with wd... oh well I guess it adds charecter

Wipe your blade with pickle juice every once in awhile. Its a pretty good rust cleaner. A friend of mines who use to build bicycle frames told me that little secret. And you can cut up food with no worries.

With a knife you can get an old sock or a piece of jeans. Pour some juice on the cloth and strop it. Comes of quick.

Wipe your blade with pickle juice every once in awhile. Its a pretty good rust cleaner. A friend of mines who use to build bicycle frames told me that little secret. And you can cut up food with no worries.

that might smell bad though,

Back