1st Friday Production Updates

I know this has recently been discussed to some degree but I'm confused when they state "Starter 4.1s orders from MAR/APR15 are shipping this month, were they not already fulfilled and it was only initial Pre-Orders and F2nds now being shipped out?
Nope. :D
I thought so as well until Chiral set me straight.

The critique of the Dec 2017 update appears to have been considered because this update has more "meat" to it.
There aren't any particular surprises, but I'm glad to hear that the 12's are at water jet this month.

The critique of the Dec 2017 update appears to have been considered because this update has more "meat" to it.
There aren't any particular surprises, but I'm glad to hear that the 12's are at water jet this month.
I agree. I hope they can continue to provide more meaningful and accurate information :thumbsup:

Heck yes!!! :D And here is hoping that handle-fitment issues go well for the 3.5s so that they can get them out faster than the 4.1s, since Millit did the blank-cutting this time :thumbsup:
Wasn't it said at some point that the handle scales got figured out by the vendor at some point? For some reason I was thinking the 4.7s or 4.1s were the last to be sent to S!K with major issues. Shouldn't newer models be free from defects?

I hope so Silver, I really hope so. :)
If anybody can find the reference that would be great, but Guy announced (probably in 2016) that the problem was insufficiently cured handle composites.
Unfortunately by the time that was determined the handles had already been delivered for everything through the 7/7.
Rather than throw them all out Guy decided to rework them himself.

still working on the original starters... my preorder from 2016 is going to take how much longer? i don’t even want to think about the 4.5 and delta 5.1.

That is actually the best way to go forward. Do not think about how long ago your orders were placed.
Thinking about it will only lead to more frustration and discontent, because I figure if you really needed the money you'd have cancelled long ago. ;)

Heck yes!!! :D And here is hoping that handle-fitment issues go well for the 3.5s so that they can get them out faster than the 4.1s, since Millit did the blank-cutting this time :thumbsup:

Wasn't it said at some point that the handle scales got figured out by the vendor at some point? For some reason I was thinking the 4.7s or 4.1s were the last to be sent to S!K with major issues. Shouldn't newer models be free from defects?

I hope so Silver, I really hope so. :)
If anybody can find the reference that would be great, but Guy announced (probably in 2016) that the problem was insufficiently cured handle composites.
Unfortunately by the time that was determined the handles had already been delivered for everything through the 7/7.
Rather than throw them all out Guy decided to rework them himself.

The blanks are all still being cut by the same place. The main issue is with the handle materials curing after being machined into scales, which created warping. We already had handles for the GSO-4.1, GSO-7/7, and most of the GSO-4 Limited run before figuring out what was going on and got a fix implemented. The GSO-3.5 handles will be free from the warping issue and if all goes according to plan we will be able to take a couple steps back out of the building process.

still working on the original starters... my preorder from 2016 is going to take how much longer? i don’t even want to think about the 4.5 and delta 5.1.

The bulk of the orders for each model were placed during the Starter Campaign. Once those are all out, we will be moving through the remaining months more quickly.

The GSO-3.5 handles will be free from the warping issue and if all goes according to plan we will be able to take a couple steps back out of the building process.

The bulk of the orders for each model were placed during the Starter Campaign. Once those are all out, we will be moving through the remaining months more quickly.
Thank Hephaestus Almighty Lord of the Forge! That has to be a good feeling for you three in the shop. Keep at it!
Loving the regular updates :thumbsup:

Production update is out.

Current Production:
  • Shipping this month:
    • The last GSO-4.1 Starter orders (March & April 2015)
    • GSO-7/7 March 2015 Starter orders
    • Weekly sales from March 2017
  • GSO-4 Limited blades will be getting final touch-ups on the grinder.
  • The end of January is going to be focused on surface finishing GSO-4.1, GSO-7/7, GSO-4 Limited, and GSO-3.5 blades.
  • That's right, the full run of GSO-3.5 blanks will be arriving to the SURVIVE! Workshop any day now! We still need a couple of months to get handles and sheaths for those.
  • The initial batch of SK-3.5 blades will be heading out to Precision Plus for finishing. There will be some final details to nail down for this first round of SK Series knives so we are still waiting to announce an official release date. Stay in touch @surviveknives on Instagram for regular updates.
  • GSO-12 / SK-12 run is on the water-jet!
  • The GSO-6 / SK-6 cutting will start immediately after those.

Starter orders for 4.1 (and 7/7) are still not complete? Groan ... guess it’s going to be several more months before they get to my pre-orders.

Who was it said, “Patience is a virtue — all good things come to those who wait”?
Giving this a bump because some later information has "muddied the waters".
The only note that I will add is that I think that there are still some 2.7 weekly sales knives in the queue.

Giving this a bump because some later information has "muddied the waters".
The only note that I will add is that I think that there are still some 2.7 weekly sales knives in the queue.

I was wondering that as well. I haven't really been paying attention. Learned not to worry too much about delivery dates with S!K. Just checked and I ordered a 2.7 factory 2nd on August 16th, 2017.

I order a pair on the same date. Then again, I'm still waiting for a 4.1 second ordered in March, 2017. Who would've thought 90 days meant a year?

I ordered a 4.1 F2 in Oct. 2016 and received it in April. It's a great blade and one of my main users for backpacking. It's worth the wait but I get you on the "90 day" wait. Fortunately, I have quite a few GSOs to keep me busy and stop thinking about the wait.

Back