1st Friday Production Updates

Sorry to hear that Oyster :( For posterity, can you share the information you received in October, so as to contrast with how that may have changed in two months? Hopefully nothing monumental has changed. Please remember that the info I posted was specific to my orders, so there may not be a direct correlation to expectations for yours.

Like you, I ordered a 4.1 F2 in September. In October I was told “Your GSO-4.1 Factory 2nd is scheduled to be shipped within 90 days for [sic]
purchase, which should be sometime in December.”

I should add that I realize that others have been waiting much longer. I also have two 3.5s on order, but wasn’t really expecting to see those this year - was hoping for first quarter of 2018, however.

Thanks, O. That change seems to coincide with the 3.5s arriving from Millet. The optimist in me hopes that these highlighted F2 delays are due more to a deliberate prioritization of the Starter 3.5s, as opposed to another unexpected delay.

By my count that means they have 5 models bouncing around the shop at the moment : 2.7 (f2s), 4.1, 4 LTD, 7/7, 3.5.
High hopes.

Thanks, O. That change seems to coincide with the 3.5s arriving from Millet. The optimist in me hopes that these highlighted F2 delays are due more to a deliberate prioritization of the Starter 3.5s, as opposed to another unexpected delay.

By my count that means they have 5 models bouncing around the shop at the moment : 2.7 (f2s), 4.1, 4 LTD, 7/7, 3.5.
High hopes.
Those do appear to be the models that they have in their shop at the moment.
Thanks for the sharing the information, it more or less confirms my guesses about delivery time frames. :thumbsup:
I think that what happened in the past couple of months is that Survive finally accepted that they weren't going to get out of their backlog without making some changes and began to reflect that reality in the information that they were giving to their customers. ;)

There are a ton of variables because of the different models and different types of orders within each model. For example, it looks like the 4.1 3V 2nd orders from February of 2017 are currently shipping based on reports from people that have received them. So, historically, we've compiled that sort of information in the threads for each model, because these general purpose threads don't generally capture enough detail to allow meaningful analysis of what is shipping.

I simply replied/added onto what Oyster said about posting shipping updates. I think it would be pretty obvious or easy to add onto the forum member posting what date it was ordered and if it was a pre-sale or if it were a F2nd. I would hope if someone ordered a F2nd 4.1 early to mid last year that they have already received it by now. This would than provide a meaningful analysis of when others might be receiving theirs and not the regurgitated First Friday updates which leave most of not knowing where our pre-orders/sales are in the process.

I ordered an F2 4.1 in mid Feb 2017 I'm still waiting on, so I'm afraid you guys still have a ways out on those :oops:

I often wanted to place an order for a F2'nd or two but as I've followed the news it seemed as if they were starting to run up to 6 mos or longer to fulfill (see some of you going nearly a year now). Suppose I'm just wondering how they can differentiate/juggle the prioritizing of the knives when they hit the shop (Pre-Sales vs. 2nds). On one side you have the starter orders (maybe all fulfilled by now with exceptions of the 3.5s, maybe another or two), in the middle you have various pre-sales and pre-orders and finally all the f2nd offerings. Its probably been mentioned in various threads how they manage this but can certainly understand the frustration from all parties.

Since Survive started working on the GSO 4.1 (about a year ago) their never very accurate production estimates have become progressively worse.
They've said that it is their biggest run by far and it appears to have completely overloaded their production capacity.
I'm glad they finally came to their senses and stopped taking orders.

We are finishing up this week with a few more GSO-7/7s getting sharpened. Some of those are Factory 2nds from the weekly sales and some of them are Starter orders from March 2015. The rest of December will be focused on GSO-4.1s. Again, there will be a mix of Starter orders and Factory 2nds.

The GSO-2.7 didn't get a specific mention on the newsletter because they would be considered part of the weekly sales, which are being fulfilled in the order that they were placed.

Jordyn and I are working on a few ideas that will get a bit more information out there. It isn't going to be estimated delivery dates because some people seem to forget to read the word "estimated" on those, but it should be more helpful. One change will be that starting next week we are going to make it a point to do regular WIP Wednesday posts to let you know exactly what we are working on that week.

We are finishing up this week with a few more GSO-7/7s getting sharpened. Some of those are Factory 2nds from the weekly sales and some of them are Starter orders from March 2015. The rest of December will be focused on GSO-4.1s. Again, there will be a mix of Starter orders and Factory 2nds.

The GSO-2.7 didn't get a specific mention on the newsletter because they would be considered part of the weekly sales, which are being fulfilled in the order that they were placed.

Jordyn and I are working on a few ideas that will get a bit more information out there. It isn't going to be estimated delivery dates because some people seem to forget to read the word "estimated" on those, but it should be more helpful. One change will be that starting next week we are going to make it a point to do regular WIP Wednesday posts to let you know exactly what we are working on that week.

I hope you guys are building up to a wonderful Christmas. I'm sure you already know this but the constant deficit between projected shipping times and actual shipping times just has to be addressed imo. Anything you can do to establish a realistic timeline, even if it's way off the initially projected timeline, would be much appreciated. I don't mind waiting for your knives, but I'd like a more accurate idea of how long I'll be waiting.

Anyways, whining aside, Merry Christmas, I hope you guys have a great one.

Survive will not provide realistic timelines for delivery, simply because they can't. The team there has, at least for the ~2 years I've been paying attention, repeatedly failed to earn the right to be believed in that area. They've disrespected their customers the entire time and continue to do so. Meaningless vagaries posing as "updates"? December's guesses contradicting October's? Par for the course.

Apologies for my delay in posting updates. Jordyn replied promptly, but I've not had much time to access BF other than browsing by phone. The clarifications she offered me for upcoming models (as of email on 12/7/17) are as follows:

#51xx- GSO 12 – “At this time I do not have a rough estimate as to when the GSO-12 preorders should be shipping. Typically, once blades start production, it will be approximately 4-6 months for all of the materials to be made; then another 1-6 months for finishing, sharpening, and building the preorders. In the past we have run into production issues which has delayed fulfillment of preorders within this timeline. However, with the SK Series moving forward, fulfillment should be much quicker than past models. Guy will not have to work on, and complete, Factory 2nd orders, and will be able to focus solely on fulfilling preorders. I apologize that I am not able to give you a better estimate at this time. “

#80xx – GSO-4 Limited- “We plan to start working on the GSO-4 Limited blades between January and February. Once the blades have been fine-tuned and surface finished, building and sharpening the orders will go quickly. We are working on a schedule now for dedicating time to fulfilling these orders. There should be more information available after the 1st of the year.”

#51xx – GSO-7/7 – “We are actively working to fulfill the GSO-7/7 Starter Preorders, orders placed in March and April 2015. Based on what we are currently working on, and with your order being placed in April 2015, it should be shipping some time between January and February.”

#116xx – GSO-4.1 Factory 2nd (ordered Sept 2017) - “At this time I do not have an approximate shipping date for this order. We are working on getting caught up on our late Factory 2nd orders, and are currently shipping the Factory 2nd orders placed in February. It is still going to be some time until we are able to ship your order placed in September.”

#80xx – GSO-3.5- can you be more specific than "more than four months", or is that not possible to estimate at this time? “I do not have a more specific fulfillment date, other than we should start working the preorders into the finishing stages within the next few months. We will be able to start shipping the GSO-3.5 preorders in regular batches once we receive all of the materials and we are further through fulfilling the GSO-7/7 and GSO-4.1 preorders.”

“With so many things being worked on in the shop, it can be hard to predict completion times for each model. We are working to fulfill orders as quickly as we can, with preorders always being our top priority.”

Last edited:
Survive will not provide realistic timelines for delivery, simply because they can't. The team there has, at least for the ~2 years I've been paying attention, repeatedly failed to earn the right to be believed in that area. They've disrespected their customers the entire time and continue to do so. Meaningless vagaries posing as "updates"? December's guesses contradicting October's? Par for the course.
Which models are you waiting to receive?

Packerrat Packerrat
Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated!

Pehaps somewhat naively, and swayed by talk of the “new” SK line and the changes that would bring, I was expecting to see the GSO 3.5s I ordered in the summer sometime this year. I wasn’t quite aware of the extent of the backlog. Oh well...

I'm with ya' O. It's been a long ride, and it's hard to keep riding when you don't know if the destination is near or far.
Hangin' up my spurs for a spell.

"Jordyn and I are working on a few ideas that will get a bit more information out there. It isn't going to be estimated delivery dates because some people seem to forget to read the word "estimated" on those, but it should be more helpful. One change will be that starting next week we are going to make it a point to do regular WIP Wednesday posts to let you know exactly what we are working on that week."

SURVIVE! Ellie SURVIVE! Ellie , On your plan of weekly updates, may we request that you post the last order # that was shipped with each model?

Packerrat Packerrat
Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated!

Pehaps somewhat naively, and swayed by talk of the “new” SK line and the changes that would bring, I was expecting to see the GSO 3.5s I ordered in the summer sometime this year. I wasn’t quite aware of the extent of the backlog. Oh well...

I believe we are all just beginning to see the scale "extent" of the backlogs by listening to everyone's experiences and order history. I wasn't even aware that some have waited for the F2nd orders going back to Sept of 2016. Yea I'd say that's reason to "not place estimates anymore" (lol).

Back